PDA

View Full Version : Domain Name renewal

frostbite
20th Feb 2008, 21:30
I have two domain names, both due for renewal in about 12 months.

Can't really explain why, but I just got the urge to look into the procedure for renewal.

Unless I've missed/misunderstood something on the Nominet site, they're going to cost a whopping £94 each to renew!

Can't recall anything related previously costing more than about a fiver. Hope I've made a mistake?

BOAC
20th Feb 2008, 21:49
Who is hosting and which TLD - eg .co.uk/.biz etc?

planecrazy.eu
20th Feb 2008, 21:54
If you renew them through Nominet then they will cost you that much.

However, the place you registered them will offer them for renewal at the standard price they charge for a domain, about £10 for two years for a .co.uk.

You could also transfer them, and then renew them, however, this might be more expensive depending on the price you need to pay.

Nominet charge that much as they cant be bothered to deal with individuals buying one domain, they want customers buying thousands per week.

frostbite
21st Feb 2008, 16:47
Thanks for the replies. I thought Nominet were the basic 'cheap as chips' registrars - got that wrong!

Oddly, one of my (unused) names was hosted by 1&1 until last May when I decided not to bother with it and went through their 'close account' routine at renewal time. Recently got a debt collector's letter claiming the renewal fee + £15 for their admin!

Mr Grumps
21st Feb 2008, 17:44
Just renewd mine (it's for a charity) and Namesco charged £23.49 for 2 years. That's about twice what I paid 2 years ago.:mad:

TheQuietLife
22nd Feb 2008, 03:58
Thanks for the replies. I thought Nominet were the basic 'cheap as chips' registrars - got that wrong!Nominet are the not-for-profit company tasked with managing the .uk namespace. As such they are the people who hold the zone records to make things work. This needs to be centrally coordinated for obvious reasons.

Now you can do things through them if you should want or need to, but they are not interested in contact with individual end users. Hence the prices!

The only time you might typically need to do something direct with them is if you were trying to renew or transfer the admin tag to a new agent AND your existing one was bust, dead or not replying etc..

Keef
22nd Feb 2008, 20:45
I've got a load of domains registered with Fasthosts, and they cost about £6 for two years. (They aren't all for me). Hosting is separate, but forwarding to other addresses is free.

I did once try to register one via Nominet, and swiftly changed my mind on that.

Doing US ones via Network Solutions is also pretty expensive - which is why it's best to use a registrar.