PDA

View Full Version : Women ATA pilots to be honoured.

PPRuNe Pop
20th Feb 2008, 16:43
After Scottish MP Nigel Griffiths raised the subject of the ATA women pilots being honoured - then Gordon Brown acted! Quite right too. But why does he dig his toes in when Bomber Command and medals, and numerous other well deserved required recognitions go unanswered?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7254481.stm

But it is a real pleasure to see these brave girls rewarded at last.

Chugalug2
20th Feb 2008, 16:58
But why does he dig his toes in when Bomber Command and medals, and numerous other well deserved required recognitions go unanswered?

Good point PP and I totally agree with your sentiments, but I think the clue might be in the Beeb story:
"The women were not themselves allowed to fight"
So no chance of upsetting the NUT et al who have an issue with British history and its supposed moral dubiousness. Bomber Command's contribution to victory lies full square in their sights. High time their hypocritical stance was outed for the rubbish that it is and honour those 55,700 who made the ultimate sacrifice and those who survived, including those who are still with us. As to the ATA, brave men and women all, and high time their courage and dedication was recognised, as Nigel Griffiths so rightly says.

BossEyed
20th Feb 2008, 17:42
Not just the women; the men who flew with the ATA have been honoured as well - as the Beeb story says.

Hearty congratulations to all of them, including of course those who were not recognised in their lifetime.

Krystal n chips
20th Feb 2008, 19:41
There is a story, maybe urban myth...maybe not.... about one ATA lady who downed a 109..by virtue of outflying him...he seemingly attacked her, she was unarmed...and basically outflew him at low level whereupon he porridged himself. Seemingly, as the story goes..and I have heard it from several sources over the years..because she was (a) unarmed and (b) perish the thought, a "mere" woman.. ( think the classic Harry Enfield sketch here re "Women, know your place" and the views of a lady about the gold standard to reflect the culture prevalent then...and still around with some of the luddites today of course....pi$%ocks that they are ) she could not officially be awared a kill. I have often wondered about this story, because if true, said lady deserves her flying skill to be recognised...maybe this will happen as a result of this action.

Foxy Loxy
20th Feb 2008, 19:44
I had the privelege of knowing one of these brave ladies a few years ago. I thinks it's great that their effort is at last being recognised.

Foxy

Guzlin Adnams
20th Feb 2008, 20:00
Good news this. Well done to them all. They played their part in bringing about victory.:ok:
Yes, all ex Bomber Command personel should get their campaign medal. I've been lucky to meet many of them, most now sadly departed, especially when we put a small book together on RAF Chedburgh back in 92 and held an open day to mark the 50th anniversary of the opening of the station. It made local tv as well with a flypast by two spits. There's a memorial on the village green and a role of honour in the church which has a page turned every day. Very humbling.

vintage ATCO
20th Feb 2008, 20:23
My father-in-law flew with the ATA. One of his logbooks is on display at Shuttleworth. I have another. Sadly I only met him twice before he died in the 70s so wasn't able to talk to him about his experiences.