PDA

View Full Version : A question no one has been able to answer

Yasser
20th Feb 2008, 13:23
I have a PPL fixed wing

I would like to get an Instrument Rating. Can i get this without doing my commercial exams?

All replies appreciated

Wodka
20th Feb 2008, 14:06
In a nutshell... not really! you have to take some of the subjects. This is an extract straight from the horses mouth (LASORS):

IR(A) THEORETICAL KNOWLEDGE EXAMINATION REQUIREMENTS

Applicants for a JAR-FCL IR(A) will be required to pass the IR(A) theoretical knowledge examinations in the following subjects:-

a. Air Law/Operational Procedures
b. Aircraft General Knowledge
c. Flight Performance & Planning
d. Human Performance & Limitations
e. Meteorology
f. Navigation
g. Communications (IFR)

The course of theoretical knowledge instruction shall be completed within 18 months. The acceptance period of these examinations towards the issuance of the IR(A) can be found in Section J1.7. Applicants must
apply to PLD for the issue of the IR(A) within this acceptance period.

Credits from JAR-FCL Examinations

• The holder of an IR(H) will be exempted from the theoretical knowledge instruction and examinations for an IR(A).

i.e. - Helicopter converting to fixed wing, not applicable in your case

• An applicant having passed the theoretical knowledge examination in subject Human Performance for a CPL(A)/(H) is credited with the
theoretical knowledge requirement in subject Human Performance for an IR(A) according to the pass standards set out in JAR-FCL 1.490 and
Section J1.5.

This would not apply to you as you only have a PPL(A)

• An applicant who has passed the JAR-FCL ATPL(A) theoretical knowledge examinations is credited with the theoretical knowledge
requirements for an IR(A). The acceptance period of these examinations for the issuance of the IR(A) can be found in Section J1.7.

i.e. - ATPL students are credited for the IR(A) requirements.

Hope this helps you... you can download LASORS from the CAA website if your bored :uhoh:

preduk
20th Feb 2008, 17:27
The other problem is that Private Pilots cannot fly for personal profit.

virginpilot1087
20th Feb 2008, 17:57
Save all the hassle, if you only want to fly at PPL level go get an FAA PPL and IR.

Two writtain exams, one for PPL thats a piece of cake, and one for IR thats faily straightforward too.

only drawback is you have to fly N reg aircraft in the UK to be in IMC, my local Airport has 3 that are N reg and availible to rent, so no bother there

if your buying a share in an aircraft N reg is better anyway as its cheaper to maintain.

mcgoo
20th Feb 2008, 18:07
The FAA written exams may be simple but don't forget that there is an oral exam as well and this is far from simple.

captain_rossco
20th Feb 2008, 18:41
Hi there, interesting point on the N-reg aircraft. Being a lazy so and so I'm not into delving through the rules and regs, are they operated and maintained very differently to G-reg aircraft?

:ok:

Captain_djaffar
20th Feb 2008, 19:03
you're on JAA \FAA or what mate?

crank1000
20th Feb 2008, 21:44
Sorry but I was just reading some random threads and came across this one. I'm Australian and just wanted to know if i'm reading this correctly. In the UK you cant fly IFR on a PPL licence? But if you have an American licence you can as long as the aircraft is legal to fly in the US?

Just to put my two cents worth in, you can fly ME/IFR (on a PPL) and there is also a seperate Private IFR licence that you can obtain here. Makes a bit more sense I think?

Interested to hear some comments

Cheers

Adios
20th Feb 2008, 22:15
Crank1000,

You totally misundertood.

In the UK, you can fly G reg aircraft in IMC with a JAA PPL or CPL and IR. You may also fly N reg aircraft in UK airspace with an FAA PPL or CPL and IR.

It takes longer, costs more and is more difficult to earn a JAA IR if you only hold a JAA PPL, so a suggestion was made to get around this by doing FAA ratings instead.

crank1000
20th Feb 2008, 22:31
Thanks Adios,

I didn't think that would be the case (not being able to fly IFR if you only have a ppl). Your system seems complicated. Do UK people think this also?

Cheers