PDA

View Full Version : Weekend CPL training with freelance instructor possible?

cirruscrystal
19th Feb 2008, 20:58
I work fulltime in Shropshire and want to complete my CPL instruction at weekends. I cant afford to take time off work to complete my CPL training, already have MEIR + MEP. I have a plane to use, complex single engine. Is this possible or does it have to be completed at approved FBO?

BillieBob
19th Feb 2008, 22:17
No, it has to be completed at an approved FTO, in an approved aeroplane, to an approved syllabus, with an approved instructor.

Whirlygig
20th Feb 2008, 00:09
I would also recommend at LEAST four days a week flying (and that would very intensive and tiring) for your CPL course in order to maintain continuity and "freshness".

CPL flying is quite a jump up from PPL; you'd be surprised. I can't see two days a week working. If you can persuade an instructor to work weekends, you'd only need to take two/three days off a week for a few weeks but by jiminy, you'll be ker-nackered!

Cheers

Whirls

Superpilot
20th Feb 2008, 06:27
Also doing a part-time CPL, gives your flying school the opportunity to up your training hours significantly, and believe me they do!

cowl flap
20th Feb 2008, 07:05
Above replies are correct, you do need to go through an approved FTO. You could use your own aircraft (provided VP prop and RG) but the school would have to get it added to their list of approved aircraft. If it is not a type they operate it is more complicated as checklists need to be rewritten and Ops manuals amended etc.

Parson
20th Feb 2008, 07:49
As you already have an IR it would seem that you only have to do the 15 hr course. In the spring/summer, given sum fair wx, you could do it in 3 weeks F/T if you can get the leave. Give Bristol flying Centre a call as they do alot of 15 hr CPLs and often have instructors in at weekends.