PDA

View Full Version : Visa for wife in USA

pigsinspace
19th Feb 2008, 17:14
Someone here MUST know the answer. If my wife was to accompany (indulge) with me on route through the states.. would she need a visa,?

Movers gave me 3 different answers, RAFLO's are not answering phones..

Thanks in advance

minigundiplomat
19th Feb 2008, 17:22
If you manage to indulge to Hawaii and back, I would buy a lottery ticket as soon as you arrive back.

sirsaltyhelmet
19th Feb 2008, 17:24
If she holds a British Pasport them surely the Visa waiver applies (90 Days)

pigsinspace
19th Feb 2008, 17:27
Visa waiver is what I was thinking ..But is the RAF a recognised carrier and no onward ticket held?

you can see why its to hard a question for an average mover!

kwachon
19th Feb 2008, 18:13
Everyone passing through the US since 9/11 needs a visa regardless. A visa waiver might be acceptable but because the RAF is not regarded as a recognized carrier this might not work. You might be able to get her on a Gen Dec (General Declaration) provided the stay is not more than 72 hours, also, if she has some form of RAF I.D. she would be allowed to transit on that. I would suggest a call to the military attache at the US embassy. :ok:

billynospares
19th Feb 2008, 18:28
The visa waiver programme does not apply as the RAF is not a signed up carrier. She will need a visa and a good point of entry and exit from the US. They are very tight on this now.

JackRyan
19th Feb 2008, 18:46
Where can you indulge to in the USA? It's not listed on the indulgence price list at Brize.

EdSet100
19th Feb 2008, 23:24
My understanding of your post is that you will be a member of the operating crew on an AT route and that you want your wife to travel with you.

You would be on duty, therefore you will not be travelling while on leave therefore you cannot indulge. I stand to be corrected, but if you cannot indulge your wife cannot indulge "unaccompanied".

I've never heard of dependants travelling down route with operating crew.

Dan Winterland
20th Feb 2008, 00:59
I have. It's been done more than once in my experience. And a visa was required. However, in one case the immigration people arrived at the aircraft and issued visas on the spot.

Mind you, I this was a few years ago and things have changed a bit since then. You would have to be very brave to trust the movers to give you the correct info. Imagine the sceario of having to fund a repatriation of your loved one from an Air Force Base in the middle of the boonies. And there is a fine for the operator to pay too. Try expalining that one to OC accounts!

The US Embassy will give you the defininitive answer.

DOWN_SOUTH_AGAIN
20th Feb 2008, 04:23
I can not believe in the age of cheap airfares, that anyone would wish to put their spouse throught the hell that is 'RAF Movers'. Let her travel by an airline, at least you know she will get their with the correct docummentation.

albatross
20th Feb 2008, 06:09
Trust me - she will NEED VISA, Mastercard, Amex and Cash ( lots of it brother!:ugh:)

I also suggest an empty suitcase or two and a forklift!

Have to turn the US economy around somehow - thanks for volunteering!:D

Have fun.:E

chicane
20th Feb 2008, 06:30
pigsinspace,

Check your emails.... you might find that the RAFLO has sent you a response!

Spit the Dog
20th Feb 2008, 08:52
"I've never heard of dependants travelling down route with operating crew."

During the 'Glory Days', a VC10 could not leave EGVN on one of its 3 weekly trips to DC unless it had at least 2 wives on board. In answer to the Visa question, I attempted to take my spouse without visa to Vegas whilst operating. The immigration officer that boarded the jet insisted that my wife accompany him to the civvy terminal where she must board a BA aircraft and fly immediatley home, or the whole crew and aircraft depart.
After an extremely heated debate and lots of tears, and that was just from me, he made an exception and let her stay. The reasons for this have all been previously stated on this thread, ie not recognised carrier etc etc. A visa is most definatley required. !

pigsinspace
21st Feb 2008, 20:46
Visa is required 100%.

No help from the US embassy either....if the flight is not sponsored by MOD ie postings etc then you must go to the US embassy for finger prints, DNA and what ever other specimen the good old yanks want.

Thanks to RAFLO McCarren..