PDA

View Full Version : Varying Standard of RAF Laundries

Mr-Burns
19th Feb 2008, 08:42
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/banting/imagesV3/vet-women-washing-clothes.jpg

When myself and the memsahib took our smalls down for a doby at the station launderette the other day, this is what we found. Its a disgrace. Does anyone else have any washing related launderette experiences?

philrigger
19th Feb 2008, 09:33
;)

Regarding ones uniform I can remember when it was;

'One on - one off and one in the laundry'.

and as for bedding;

Every 7 days 'The top sheet goes on the bottom and the bottom sheet goes in the laundry'.

(We were only every issued with a maximum 3 of anything except for detached collars where we were issued with 6. Socks and underwear had to last at least 3 days. The laundry took 7 days to come back).

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'

FantomZorbin
19th Feb 2008, 11:01
Ah! the feeling of starched shreddies ... my nethers were never the same again:eek:

philrigger
19th Feb 2008, 12:46
;)

... Socks and underwear had to last at least 3 days.

Well OK and I could also mention the socks I borrowed from another hut's drying room, wore for a few days and then put them back. But that also went for shirts, collars and anything else that fitted. It was a way of life really.

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'

spekesoftly
19th Feb 2008, 12:52
Socks were "on condition"

Throw 'em at the wall - if they didn't stick, put 'em back on!

Shack37
19th Feb 2008, 15:14
Laundreys, what laundreys? First one up, best dressed.

Pontius Navigator
19th Feb 2008, 16:06
Khormakksar - dhobi - the room boys soon twigged that we didn't have time to send stuff to the laundry. So everything hand washed, rinsed, starched, put on a pole, waved in the desicated heat, ironed and returned. About 30 minutes and 5/- Sir.

Butterworth - all time good deal. Chinese family lived in a hut in the mess grounds. Laundry 1/- per month EVERYTHING not each. Downside was it was line dried and only when it wasn't raining. First time I put my dhobi in, got it back a week later.

Changi - steaming heap of jungle filth on verandah of 633 block. Came out of the shower - gone - nicked :ooh: Couple of hours later all neatly laundered and pressed. Nice to take back to stores but the storeman thought the survival course had been cancelled.

Every place between Aden and Changhi had a laundry mark. Mine started as a couple of Arabic numerals, a ./ as I remember. In Gan it had something else added. In Malaysia it became a chinese symbol.

Wittering with an on-the-road job. Friday night empty suitcase into laundry basket, pack clean laundry from bed to suitcase. Following Friday ditto etc :)

Officially the batting service had finished but the batties did not believe officers should do laundry :)

Roland Pulfrew
19th Feb 2008, 16:18
Officially the batting service had finished but the batties did not believe officers should do laundry

Same at Scampton PN. What a great set of ladies and another sad loss on the alter of money saving.