PDA

View Full Version : BKK - any tips on flying into Thailand?

Decolar
19th Feb 2008, 01:18
Going to BKK soon, and thought perhaps some of the forum members could give me a rough guide to the ATC procedures, that might supplement the little info I have with company manual.

Also, how quickly is customs and immigration? How much time is spent from time from leaving cockpit to getting transportation (company arranged). Also, on departure, how efficient is customs on departure, and is there any fast food and coffee available in the early morning?

Thanks

Decolar
19th Feb 2008, 02:05
So far, I found sites like this one - www.bangkokairportonline.com

Anyone know if this train is in operation? It's 3 months past November, but maybe there have been some delays? Seems like this would be a nice way to get into the city for most passengers. I suppose I will keep my arranged transportation for this trip. Does this elevated 2 X 5 road, and then Bangkok-Chonburi highway get you to downtown quickly. We will arrive after 9PM.

>>Suvarnabhumi Airport is located on a 3,100 ha site in the Samut Prakarn province of Thailand at Nong Ngu Hao (Nongnughao translated as Cobra Swamp), 30km east of Bangkok. Road access to the new airport will be provided by a series of new highways connected to Bangkok's existing outer ring road. The main access road is an elevated 2 x 5 lane road that leads from the passenger terminal through the northern part of the site to the new Bangkok–Chonburi highway.

The construction of the City Airport Terminal in Makkasan and a 28.6 km high-speed rail link to the new airport started in July 2005 and are planned for completion in November 2007. The airport express, informally known as the Pink Line and operated jointly with SRT's planned Red Line commuter service, will connect with the BTS Sukhumvit Line and MRT Blue Line at Phaya Thai and Phetchaburi stations respectively, offering airport-bound passengers a fast 15-minute limited stop journey from the city.

Avtrician
19th Feb 2008, 02:23
Went through there a year ago, on a holiday, and everything was pretty quick. It was/is a longish way from the airbridges to the luggage hall, but the traveling walk ways made it pretty quick. A short wait for the bags, again a short wait to go thru immigration, and past the empty (unmanned basicaly, just one guy doing spot checks. may have changed by now) green line area. I was met by family, so cant comment on the transport to BKK, tho the are plenty of Taxis (Metered). The express ways are very quick. Hope this may be of some use. Remember to be polite, and smile, it can go a long way to speeding up the official processes.

Decolar
19th Feb 2008, 02:29
I liked seeing your comment about being polite and to smile! Thanks

BTW, on that website, there is a nice 5 minute video about the airport.

Thai Pom
19th Feb 2008, 07:36
Firstly the Train is not yet in operation. Mid 2009 is the estimate. Roads into town are great now, but not at mroning rush hour. As Crew you will have not problems with Customs or Immigration. As mentioned be polite and Smile a lot.

Ejector
22nd Feb 2008, 05:27
What “Thai Pom” said is correct.

It will be about a 20min trip into town on the overheard toll expressways.

Note, it is luck of the draw, Thailand has 1l booze limit. Recently they have been very strict on this. Not that they have taken my 2l, but they did to the western chap in front of me and fined him and took all the booze. Same with smokes.

When returning, you may get traffic jam problems. During peak hours, You can take 25mins to get within 1km of your hotel, then take an hour to cover the 1km. It is the land of one way streets.

Plenty of Food and coffee at the airport.

For anyone else, the airport has own cabs called AOT, they charge 900 – 1500 baht. This is a rip-off. The same level you clear customs, go out side to the public taxi stand. ALLWAYS use the taxi meter. They might not want to, but use it. Use the toll roads too, you pay for that, it is dirt cheap on the tolls and much quicker. The trip in should be about 300 baht, about $9usd.

The Thai’s are very nice people, even in the airport !!!

Sue Ridgepipe
22nd Feb 2008, 09:24
When returning, you may get traffic jam problems. During peak hours, You can take 25mins to get within 1km of your hotel, then take an hour to cover the 1km. It is the land of one way streets.

Ah yes, and you may get traffic jams of another type when you try and take off. Closure of the eastern runway seems to be creating lengthy delays at the moment - we spent 40 minutes in the queue to depart today (on calling ready, told number 12 to depart).

And the arrival wasn't any better, flying downwind via the STAR and then being vectored for a 35 mile final.:eek:

Dream Land
22nd Feb 2008, 12:18
BKK is very straight forward, nice airport and friendly country!

Decolar
22nd Feb 2008, 13:28
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Sue R. - 35 mile long final? I will plan some extra fuel if my dispatcher doesn't .

Ejector >>very nice people, even in the airport !!! <<

Maybe I should move there!

The booze limit you refer to applies to 1 liter you can bring in to the country, or leaving? Not much of a drinker, but I will occasionally buy liquor in an airports duty free.

Mile Hi
24th Feb 2008, 21:57
Hey Thai Pom, you still got the fish in your Benz or are you someone ells.???

R