PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Engineer to Airline Pilot

9V-Jason
18th Feb 2008, 15:38
Hi,
I was currently working with MRO as Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.
And was considering to have a career path change.
I was searching for info about the following, hope you guys can share some of your experience.

Any airline pilot here that was aircraft maintenance engineer before?
Please share your experience on the career converting path.

Does airline accept anyone that went thru "Lasik" eye surgery as their cadet pilot?
Any age limit to become a cadet pilot with an airline?

Marvo
18th Feb 2008, 16:54
I worked for over 12 years as an aircraft mech, then licensed engineer before taking the plundge and studying for my frozen atpl. I would highly recommend it. I am not sure what age you are, but I was 29 years old when I decided to change career path. I was licenced with loads of B1 cover on large jets and I realised there is more to life than lying in a puddle of oil at 3am on a cold winters night as you search by torch light for that illusive oil leak.

If you have your B1 then the studying is no harder. In fact you should breeze the systems exam ! I looked on it as an investment. My employer at the time was offering unpaid leave and that gave me the security of a job to come back to after finishing. A year or two at Ryanair to build hours and now at a proper operator I can honestly say I wouldn't change back for the world, although I still do keep my hand in with some contracting work. I miss the lads, the banter in the crew room and the challenge of fixing a 777 that has gone tech whilst pushing back for Orlando. My new challenge, crosswind landings in an airbus.

Good luck, what ever you choose.

Marvo

szwajcar
19th Feb 2008, 13:14
Yep... it's a good way to become an airline pilot. I was working as a LAE PART66/A1&B2 (ATR42/72, B737CL, ERJ170) for 8 years. Year ago I have finished my technical career and at the moment I am 27yo and doing my first Type Rating as a airline emploee:E
I'll be flying ERJ170 so such a things like CBT and all technical related staff is only kind of refreshing for me. It's much easier!
From the other side I'll be able to write down any defect to Tech log with a proper troubleshooting - pissing off my old friends:}
Good luck:ok:

oligoe
19th Feb 2008, 19:00
Same for me, I worked as LME (B1B2 on Emb145, AVRO RJ and 320 family) for almost 9 years. Started with my PPL at age 18, ATPL distance learning when I was 23, then did CPL IR at my local airport. I worked on a 5on 5off shift pattern, so it was easily possible to do the ATPL and CPLIR training during my days off.

Now, I am 26 years old, with a young charter airline doing my first type rating (MD90).

Like Marvo and szwajcar just said, It makes all the Tech stuff for the ATPL and the first type rating looking much easyer.

What airline are you actually working for and how old are you ?

I wish you all the best whatever you choose,

og

YHC80
22nd Feb 2008, 08:15
Hi Jason,

Did you have Lasik surgery? If you haven't, I do not suggest you do. It's something that is not encouraged by the airlines.

With regards to your job switch, you really do have to consider why you want to do it. Find out more about the life as a cadet and life as a pilot before you take the plunge. It's something many cadets regret after a while, but find no way out till much later on.

Cheers

9V-Jason
26th Feb 2008, 14:33
Thanks for all the reply and advise.
Maybe I should provide more details of myself.

I'm 28 this year, currently with SIAEC as Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.
Been thinking of having a career switch.
Lasik surgery is in consideration.

YHC80,
Since both of us are from Singapore, would you mind to share more of your experience.
Would like to know that airline will still take in cadet at the age of 30 or near 30??
Is Lasik acceptable?
How do you personally feel of the life being cadet?

Thanks

Craggenmore
26th Feb 2008, 14:47
Marvo,

So that's why you turned down Indigo. Do you get to fix laptops too...Hahaha! :ok:

Craggs...;)