PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 way through PPL

BlueskyBoy21
18th Feb 2008, 11:55
Hi there, First time on the forum.

I am looking for some advice/ help with a situation i have or anyone who had a similar experience. I started my ppl a couple of years ago and have completed all the theory exams and got very far with the praticle flying stuff up to the navigation bits, about 40hrs.

However I had to take large breaks between doing it mainly because of cash problems and personal problems; and heres my issue I struggled to complete it because a divorce between my parents which has led to some other confidence problems, this was compounded with the fact that when i was training i would work late in to the night about 1 or 2 am and then get up early and go down to the field to do the lesson. Most days I was very exhausted but I continued on.

My main concern is that when i was training i feel i came across as a bit stuipd or as an arse and becuase i have taken so long to complete it and that i did struggle sometimes beacuse of the above reasons .I feel that if i return to complete it i will be given a hard time. Also Furthermore I had the unfortunate experience of my instructor leaving half way through my ppl. I was then assigned a new one which i asked to change because of a communication problem. And At £130/hr i wanted the best i could get. This didn't go down well. I aslo felt that there was no personal service at the school and really they were just after my money. I always wanted to get good debriefs after the lesson and somtimes there was never the chance to because of fast student turnarounds. The school I train at is a highly respected one and with all my troubles on top and should i go back with how they percieve. How should i handle them?

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience in fouling up their initial training so badly?? or could give me advice on how to return to it?

Any Advice would be very much appreciated thanks.

sketchy
18th Feb 2008, 12:03
Sounds to me buddy like you need to change schools? Never forget that your the customer, your paying their wages, therefore they need to treat you as such. If they are not doing so, then I would take my custom elsewhere.

187nj
18th Feb 2008, 12:04
Hey man. If you have passed all your exams I wouldn't worry to much, flying is the easy part! You have a come along way, finish it.

My advice would be to get yourself a copy of Flight Simulator X and brush up on the following:

General Handling
Circuits
Nav
Radio

You can do all this online thought FSX/Gamespy.

r.e your school, don't worry about what they might think - you'll do yourself damage! Seems to me they should be the ones worrying that you may not return.

I've had no simular experience to you but I hope some positive feedback may help.

Take care and go and finish of your PPL - only 5 hours and a check ride to go!!!!

preduk
18th Feb 2008, 12:10
I was in a similiar situation with a flight school, I hated the instructors, it was too expensive and I felt that they were just trying to rob me of my money (with things such as late fees).

I ended up switching to a Flight CLUB rather than a school. Most of the clubs that I have been to or visited have older instructors who have a large amount of experience as ex-Military or ex-Commercial pilots. They aren't in it for profit, jsut for the love of teaching and free flying.

Therefore they put more towards their students and are much more flexiable and helpful in your flying.

The instructor I have is fantastic, I meet him every week regardless of the weather and we discuss ground school, aviation in the news and also get up flying where he teaches me the tricks of the trade. He not wanting me to just pass the PPL, hes wanting to make me an all round good pilot.

Which area of the UK do you currently live in? Someone may be able to recommend a school/club to you.

dingdongbubble
18th Feb 2008, 12:17
hmm cool. I want to go and become a Cisco certified networker. Do you think its possible for me to go for flight training and learning and stuff in bits and pieces like the OP and later on also stand a chance of getting a job in an international airlines?

BlueskyBoy21
18th Feb 2008, 12:20
Hi Preduk, Im a bit further north than you, though you can probally guess where my school is you've probally heard of them.

Thanks for the advice but they are convient in terms of distance. im thinking about starting somewhere else when i get some money raised.

cheers.

BlueskyBoy21
18th Feb 2008, 12:22
Hi cheers sketchy. guess i just need to hear what others say to reinforce what in my head.

thanks.

preduk
18th Feb 2008, 13:55
Hi BlueskyBoy21,

I think I might know what school it is... Cumbernauld?

G SXTY
18th Feb 2008, 14:19
From what you are saying, it might be worth considering a change of school. A new environment and different instructors could improve your confidence, as well as help draw a line under your previous 'issues'.

I'd have a look at other nearby schools, visit them, chat to students and instructors, and generally get a feel for the alternatives.

enone
18th Feb 2008, 17:02
i wolud agree a change of school maybe a good option.I too have completed all exams and have just changed flight schools as i kept having to change instructors as they were hour building pending airline jobs,of course the lack of continuity is not good for any student pilot.Dont listen to indivduals,go find new schools chat with the staff and try and get a feel for the place,before parting with any more dough.

Re-Heat
18th Feb 2008, 20:01
Take a 2-week holiday and finish it in one go. The continuity at least will be a good confidence-booster

BlueskyBoy21
18th Feb 2008, 20:01
Hello, whistling turtle thanks for being open with your experience that you describe it almost mirrors mine. Especially about as coming across as arrogant; i mean who wants thier instructor to know their personal baggag and the bit about being frustrated with my self for not already completeing it. I appreciate your honesty. Part of me wants to go and show them what i can do. But i guess its the fear of the unknown or embaressment. If I do go back im aiming for the summer so i can get the decent weather.

Its encouraging to know that im not the only one who is in this situation. I am very greatful for your honesty. Thankyou.

May I ask what you are doing now in terms of flying?