PDA

View Full Version : CPP Interview Q: Degree of turn for Engine Failure After Takeoff

pilota
18th Feb 2008, 05:49
During my last CX CPP interview, I was asked the procedures for Engine Failure After Takeoff at 700ft when flying a Cessna 172 (Single Piston Engine)

The interviewer further ask how much degree can I turn the aircraft for landing if obstacle straight ahead, after I answered the following procedures:

1. Close the throttle
2. Set the glide configuration
3. Check the fuel and electric and quickly attempt one engine if time allowed
4. Mayday Call if time allowed

My question:
1. Maximum degree can the aircraft turn
2. Maximum bank angle
3. Correct procedure

THanks in advance.

ct976
18th Feb 2008, 08:31
In the event of emergency affecting safety during takeoff, with insufficient runway remaining (only 700 AGL to play with, no height to circle around for downwind to land on the runway), I will maintain control, make gentle turns (i would say MAX 15 deg AOB) to avoid obstacles, and land straight ahead. Before landing I will secure the engine, fuel shut off, throttle closed, mixture ICO, mags off. And Gen/batt off before touchdown. Call mayday sqawk 7700 if time allows.

My question is, should u even attempt a restart?

MidgetBoy
18th Feb 2008, 09:05
My procedure in a C172 is if I'm over 600ft AGL, I can do a 180 and make the runway assuming I didn't do some obstacle clearance T/O and I'm too close to the runway. There might also be an adjacent runway which would be easier to turn to. If I'm under 600ft AGL and there is no runway remaining, I land infront, obviously, within a 30 degree heading change. Any angle of bank that I feel safe with in that situation (tends to be not very much)

In a real situation, if I'm at 700ft (If I'm in the circuit I'm usually on crosswind already, but if I'm not), the second my engine goes I just go on the radio and say Mayday once, then my ident, and then I concentrate on flying the aircraft. The tower knows what to expect, and besides, you're supposed to aviate, navigate, and then communicate in that order. Navigating isn't important at that time because you're obviously just off the runway. Communicate just to make sure the tower tells everyone to get out of the way. And then for aviate, I'd teardrop and go in on the same runway (assuming there isn't an adjacent runway that is close too, tends not to be the case since if you were on xwind, you'd be farther from the adjacent runway). Since I'm landing on the runway I keep most of the electronics and fuel settings on.

Just say exactly how you would REALLY react in that situation, not procedure. 700 feet doesn't allow you do procedures, don't bother squawking 7700 or doing a full mayday call, the tower knows where you are and you wouldn't have to say mayday 3 times then, just once so everyone else shuts up. At 700 ft, your procedure is to land safely, not figure out what's wrong and try to fix it.

Don't bother with a startup either, you might lose concentration and crash instead.

And if they ask you about ditching an aircraft, (besides in an ocean) don't ditch, if you have to smash into some trees, do it. Atleast you won't break your leg while trapped in a sinking aircraft.

collar
19th Feb 2008, 01:58
there is a lot of conjecture about this subject. where i was taught to fly, the rule was no turn back and max of 30 degrees either side of rwy hdg. shallow turns only. restart and calls as req'd..

MidgetBoy
19th Feb 2008, 04:05
Well, even if that weren't procedure, everyone knows a C172 can do a 180 degree turn without losing 700 feet without power. And it's MUCH smarter to land on a runway than on a river, road, into a building, etc. If there's a clear grass field a little further ahead, by all means, take that as your landing field, less chance of screwing anything up, but if there isn't anything open, turn around.

saave853
19th Feb 2008, 04:17
As a curreet 172 pilot i woul say best bet is 90 - 180 degree turn with no more than 30 of bank to a parallel or intercepting, if not the same runway. At 700' you have about a min and a half to get her around an down!!!!

MidgetBoy
19th Feb 2008, 05:44
Yeah, I've been flying 172's a lot lately too, ofcourse with experience nowhere near what many others on this forum have, but I would agree, a 30 degree bank is fine. Even if you were on crosswind by then and you had to do a 270 degree turn instead of a 180 so you didn't cut in too close, it's quite doable.
Honestly, I think your answer for their question seriously depends on the situation, on the land infront of you, on your skill level, busy or quiet airport, controlled or uncontrolled. Because if it's a busy airport yet uncontrolled
some people might still come in without a radio, and at 700 feet, you don't have time to switch to 121.5 (assuming everyone monitors that), unless you have it on standby, then its just a flick of a switch.

Good luck on getting through to the next round, if there is one.