PDA

View Full Version : PPL / CPL training in Sweden

kiwi_igelkott
18th Feb 2008, 05:06
Hi guys. I've searched the forums, but haven't really found the answers to my question.

I'm a kiwi who is about to leave NZ, and an 11 year career in the NZ Police to go live with my Swedish wife in Sweden.

Like many here I have always wanted to take up flying for a living, have done some initial training in my younger days, but let it go for various reasons.

I've got 40,000 euro initially at my disposal then another 57,000 euro at a later date and all the time in the world.

I'm 33 and I've read the am I too old threads. I'm realistic about what I can do starting late in life, so not looking to fly big jets.

My question is does anyone have any knowledge of the best way to get CPL in Sweden. I'm worried about the instruction not being in english.

So if any Swedes out there or foreigners living in Sweden can give me any pointers that would be great.

If it helps I'll be living in Norrtälje, just north of Stockholm.

Well that's my first post after reading for many months...Thanks in advance for any pointers.

cheif
18th Feb 2008, 06:25
try http://www.bfsaa.se/

CY333
18th Feb 2008, 07:07
http://www.bestaviation.net/schools/sweden.asp

kiwi_igelkott
18th Feb 2008, 07:33
Cheers for the link. I found most of them in my searches before posting. It seems that they all send you to the states for 12 months for the training. My intention was to stay in Sweden, my missus wouldn't be too happy for me to arrive next month, then bugger off to the states for a year.:\

Looking for Sweden based training.

Frallifraxer
18th Feb 2008, 08:47
http://www.airwaysflygutbildning.se/

They don´t send you to the states

preduk
18th Feb 2008, 12:03
I wouldn't worry about language issues. Most of the Scandinavian countries speak excellent English.

Cessnapilot79
18th Feb 2008, 20:40
And also Lidair (lidair.se) seems to offer training in Sweden.

degothia
19th Feb 2008, 07:16
I wouldnt recomend Lid Air.
If you have the time I think you shold take the modular rout. I dont know how it is at BFSAA, but it they do their thing in Västerås (and San Diego) and that is a long drive from Norrtälje.
Here is Norrtälje Flight Clubs web adress: http://www.rfk.nu/ It is of cours in Swedish... If you are going to stay in Norrtälje, this is the closest place to get a PPL. Talk to them about lerning materials in English, because most PPL material is in Swedish...
To get a CPL you first take the ATPL exams (check at http://www.flygteoriskolan.se/cms/ ), they include the CPL and IR exams as well. After that you do the CPL/IR/ME flying. Frallifraxer mentioned Airways, check with them about modular training.
Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions
D.

macflea
19th Feb 2008, 23:00
its a pity you are about to leave nz , cause it really is an aviation friendly country, more so than any where in europe. its ranks up there with flying in the states. and it cheap as well.why not stay there for another year a do a multi engine cpl and i sure you can find somewhere in sweden for multi cpl conversion and ir.

macflea

Cessnapilot79
20th Feb 2008, 15:32
"I wouldnt recomend Lid Air"

I've heard positive comments about it, but Degothia, do You know something that I don't? I'm not working there and I'm not going there, but just asking for interest :)

chesthair
20th Feb 2008, 16:21
Contact Norrtälje Flygklubb about a PPL. I'm sure they'll be able to get you some english litterature. Obtain your PPL, and fly about just about 200 hours TT. This way you'll be able to work simultaneously, wich saves you some money.

degothia
20th Feb 2008, 16:21
Well, Lid Air just lost their "student loan" rights (CSN), so the students cant get a govurnment suported loan to study there. Aparently they lost it because of to many complaints from iltreated students.
You can stil do your flight training there, but since no Swedish students will atend you would be pretty much by your self.
The CSN loans are about 300000kr (30000euro) out of the 750000kr (75000euro) that the training costs today. So its kind of a big deal no mater what the owner says.
D.

trigger0071
20th Feb 2008, 19:25
I have been working on and off in Sweden for last few years and done a little bit of investigation regarding flight training. I found a few flying schools who were quite happy to teach me the practical side of flying but declined on the ground school 'as there instructors wouldn't teach in english'. They recommended distance learning. In the end I took time off and done my PPL in florida.

kiwi_igelkott
20th Feb 2008, 23:20
Just want to thank you all for your replies....It's given me a few things to think about anyway.

I'll be in Norrtälje in 3 weeks, so I'll pop down to the Roslagen flygklubb and get the PPL rolling.....Hopefully there'll be some fine spring and summer weather on the cards.

alfapilot
4th Mar 2008, 08:48
"I'm 33 and I've read the am I too old threads. I'm realistic about what I can do starting late in life, so not looking to fly big jets."

Christ, I'm 33 and am in the process of selling my business in order to do exactly that!! I've read a great deal on this forum about age etc and am rather hoping that a new increased wave of demand for air traffic and the quality of candidate would be of more interest to a prospective airline employer than age!!!! Any comments would be excellent!?!!?! AP
:ugh::sad:

LH2
4th Mar 2008, 17:14
My question is does anyone have any knowledge of the best way to get CPL in Sweden. I'm worried about the instruction not being in english.

Sorry, no knowledge about Sweden specifically, but in Norway it used to be (ca. 2 years ago, may have changed) that you could only do your PPL exams in Norwegian (as you may know, you need to get a PPL before you can do your CPL.) CPL exams and training on the other hand can be done in either language, except that, as you've noticed, for some reason Scandinavians seem very keen on sending people over to the States.

The good news is, a NZ PPL is just as valid for your purposes, and probably cheaper and quicker. Alternatively, a PPL in English can be done easily in three/four weeks in a particular outlet in Spain or if the weather helps, in the UK itself, no need to bugger off to the States for that.

By the way, I said you need a PPL. That is only the case if you pursue the so-called modular route (not sure how much research you've done at this point, do a search here for "modular" if you don't know what I'm talking about), which as a mature candidate I assume is what you're going to do. No need to waste two years off work for what in terms of intellectual demands is little more than an expensive lorry licence (not talking about actually flying airliners, just getting the qualifications... and of course no disrespect at all to lorry drivers, I drive heavy stuff myself on my spare time :)).

Anyway, best of luck with your training whatever you do.