PDA

View Full Version : Extra MCC hours

Pilot Positive
17th Feb 2008, 20:16
How useful do employers view additional MCC hours (e.g. on B737-400) for non type rated individuals who are seeking employment (i.e. recently qualified wannabees) despite the fact that a large part of these extra hours do not count towards ufATPL license issue?

All sensible and productive responses welcome. :)

virginpilot1087
17th Feb 2008, 21:04
When I had my interview back in December for flying the 737 the guy interviewing asked, and i quote "How many hours do you have total flight time, I am not talking about sim hours, just flight time"

so theres my usefull comment.

Atreyu
17th Feb 2008, 21:34
Extra MCC hours aren't very useful beyond what the syllabus provides because what value would those extra hours have?? MCC isn't about type specific handling, it's about teaching MCC and very basic CRM principles. I seem to remember during my MCC training that the instructors didn't even care about your flying as such, just the way you went about operating the machine. Besides alot of MCC training is provided using simulators only at or above FNPTII quality, so any handling is only 'similar' to the type it's trying to simulate. Regarding a certain spanish based UK FTO's simulator, the real A/C type has rear mounted engines, but the sim model is set for underslung engines! :confused:

A company specific JOC is more useful for learning SOP's, but doing extra MCC work off your own back is probably just a waste of cash.

My two pennies anyway!

Atreyu:ok:

Pilot Positive
17th Feb 2008, 22:10
Thanks guys, thats useful stuff. :)

Luckily I've been getting the hours at no cost so perhaps its just good sim check practice? Of course, all hours are logable but not neccessarily valuable. :{

Any views from other employers? :O

Atreyu
17th Feb 2008, 22:12
Well in that case keep doing it, It's good for your IF scan etc. Don't expect potential employers to think too highly of extra MCC work though, Some may be cynical and ask why you needed extra hours! :ugh:

Atreyu:ok:

A251
18th Feb 2008, 16:13
its all practice n currency, plus you never know who the mcc instructors are. friend of mine got an interview through being ballast on mcc course's. if u can do it u may as well, shows your keen and you don't spend all your spare time sitting at home or down the pub.

a251

Pilot Positive
19th Feb 2008, 17:50
Thanks A251...my sentiments exactly. better doing something than nothing :ok: hence my title "Pilot Positive" :cool: although not sure I can actually afford to go to a pub anymore anyway :{

fingers crossed the mcc practice will be of some help when it comes to sim checks... ;)

Its interesting to see how differing nationalities work on the flight deck as well...its a good way of adapting to different styles and outlook. Some very good, some not so good, some can't be bothered, some just want to do aerobatics :8

Additional comments/ideas welcome :)