PDA

View Full Version : Prang at Livingstone - C210 - September 2004

4HolerPoler
9th Sep 2004, 16:46
Sad news:
- Six people - one of them the pilot - were killed in a plane crash near Livingstone airport on Thursday afternoon, the director of Civil Aviation in Zambia said on Thursday.

"The wreckage was located. "All people on board have perished... There were five passengers and one pilot," the director, Chilu Kabalika, said. "I understand that the people were South Africans, but I cannot confirm anything at the moment."
Earlier, Kabalika said: "Our air traffic control received information that a chartered plane was experiencing engine problems."

Gunship
9th Sep 2004, 20:41
:sad:

Six people, including a pilot, were killed in a plane crash near Livingstone airport on Thursday afternoon, the director of Civil Aviation in Zambia told Sapa on Thursday.

"The wreckage was located. All people on board have perished... There were five passengers and one pilot," the director, Chilu Kabalika, told Sapa.

"I have been advised that the people are not South Africans. We could not establish the passengers' names yet, but I was told they came from Malawi and have British names, although I am not sure of their nationality."

Earlier, Kabalika said: "Our air traffic control received information that a chartered plane was experiencing engine problems." - Sapa :sad:

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=68&art_id=qw1094745061964B214

Alfred Kamara
9th Sep 2004, 21:06
this is sad news. I heard on BBC africa it was a south african aircraft ?

rip all - my condolences to the families

cringe
9th Sep 2004, 21:07
Apparently the plane that crashed yesterday at around 4 PM (flight Livingstone - Mfuwe) was leased from Travel Africa by Airwaves Airlink. The pilot was Canadian.

Zambia Information Service (ZIS) investigations revealed the plane had an oil leak before take-off and the pilot communicated to Livingstone airport that there was a fault with the plane.

“The pilot informed the tower that the plane was losing oil at a fast rate and turned back to land but the plane burst into flames before reaching the airport” sources said.http://www.times.co.zm/news/viewnews.cgi?category=4&id=1094783110

Stephen Stark
10th Sep 2004, 06:06
What a shame. Does anyone know what the aircraft type was?

Condolences to the family and friends of the pilot and passengers.

cringe
10th Sep 2004, 08:28
Three of the passengers were Australians and two were Britons.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10724666%255E401,00.html

B Sousa
10th Sep 2004, 11:50
Once again. And the aircraft was a ..................(fill in the blank)

planecrazi
10th Sep 2004, 12:38
In this news report, it says it was a C210.

Australian family dies flying over falls
By Holly Nott and Tim Clarke
September 10, 2004

A THREE-week African holiday ended in tragedy when a joy flight over Zambia's spectacular Victoria Falls resulted in the deaths of three members of a Perth family and two of their friends.

A spokesman for the family today confirmed Shirley Watters, 58, her son Matthew Watters and his wife Justine Watters, both aged 26, all died in the light aircraft crash north of the world-famous falls yesterday.

The Watters, from Darlington in the Perth Hills, had been travelling with unnamed British friends, described as a couple aged in their 20s, who were also killed, along with the Canadian pilot.

Officials in Zambia and from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) in Australia are continuing their investigations into how the Cessna 210 crashed 33km north-east of Livingstone, on the Zambia/Zimbabwe border, killing all six people onboard.

Zambia's civil aviation director Chitalu Kabalika confirmed that shortly after take-off the pilot relayed he had an engine problem.

Less than 50 minutes later, the wreckage of the light aircraft was found in the Zimba region of Zambia, between Livingstone and Kalomo.

The two young couples had chartered the light aircraft from Zambian company Airwaves Airlink to fly some 700km from a tourist camp in South Luangwa National Park to Victoria Falls on Wednesday morning.

Shirley Watters joined the two couples on the flight, while her husband Kim, along with his cousin Shannon Farmer, and Shannon's wife Kristen - who also are from Perth - remained at the safari camp.

"After flying to Victoria Falls they stayed overnight and their return flight departed at 3.30pm (11.30pm AEST) on Thursday," the family spokesman, who declined to be named, said.

"Some 20 minutes into the flight the aircraft transmitted a mayday advising that the engine was losing oil.

"That was the last that was heard of the plane and a search and rescue helicopter discovered the wreckage shortly thereafter."

Formal identification of the bodies has not yet been completed. However, a search and rescue helicopter found the wreckage late yesterday and confirmed there were no survivors.

The family spokesman said Kim Watters and Shannon and Kristen Farmer were advised of the tragedy by representatives of the airline at 5.30pm yesterday (1.30am Friday AEST).

DFAT said consular assistance from the Australian High Commission in Harare was being provided to the remaining members of the party, who are due to return to Perth within days.

"We're saddened to learn of the death of three West Australians from the same family in a plane crash near Victoria Falls," a DFAT spokeswoman said.

Mr Kabalika said the light aircraft was registered in South Africa, to the Travel Africa company, and had been chartered by Airwaves Airlink.

Airwaves Airlink managing director Theo Goveia refused requests for an interview when contacted by AAP today, but was quoted by the Times of Zambia as saying the plane crashed because of mechanical failure.

He told the newspaper that under aviation rules and regulations, maintenance works on foreign aircraft were not permitted to be carried out locally.

Acknowledged as one of the natural wonders of the world, Victoria Falls is one of the world's most popular tourist destinations.

The falls are 1708m wide, making it the largest curtain of water in the world. It drops between 90m and 107m into the Zambezi Gorge and an average of 550,000 cubic metres of water plummets over the edge every minute.
C210 (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10724666%255E401,00.html)

B Sousa
10th Sep 2004, 18:54
210 with 6 folks on board must have the glide ratio of a rock. The comment "shortly after take-off the pilot relayed he had an engine problem." Leads me to ask, How shortly, as it appears from above posting he countinued a bit (50 minutes). That does not calculate as good thinking. Must be the information is sketchy or inaccurate.
Another sad accident for Africa.

planecrazi
11th Sep 2004, 15:14
This is tradgic, once again. Condolences to familes involved.

But picking up between the lines here, Bert drives a chopper and I wonder if MainRotor to drives a chopper, so I ask a question regarding the "glide ratios of a rock".

The C210 in question had six on board and a hot day. Does this aircraft glide further when light or further, when heavy? I have learn't otherwise.

I wonder if my "walrus" friend, Contraxdog, in Monrovia, is good for this one?

:ok:

Gerund
11th Sep 2004, 15:44
Guess that some of the posters above are not fixed wing pilots. Glide ratio is independent of weight; rate of descent will increase with increasing weight, but the horozontal distance travelled for a given height will remain the same. People often have difficulty grasping this aerodynamic truth, but truth it is! :-) Any POH that gives glide ratio data will not give any variation for changes in weight.

planecrazi
11th Sep 2004, 16:18
Well spoken, Gerund-that's the otherwise. Same distance heavy or light.:ok:

jonathanm5
11th Sep 2004, 19:05
Anyone know the reg?:ugh:

B Sousa
11th Sep 2004, 21:47
Hey at least I got ya thinking..........Your right when Helicopters decide to fall they do come out of the sky rather quickly.......
Back to the subject. The unanswered question will no doubt take some time.........Does not make the loss any easier for those involved.
Maybe its that we hear more about smaller aircraft problems in Africa. None lately seem to have come out to well. Some, not necessarily this one, may have something to do with Recurrent Training. Specifically in the Go-No go category.

cringe
11th Sep 2004, 22:19
The aircraft was owned by Keith Dawin of Travel Africa, reg ZS-KOX.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-09/11/content_1969619.htm

planecrazi
12th Sep 2004, 04:04
I was just checking my logbook as the reg is in my memory. I see I had last flown it from Lanseria to Mabula Lodge and back 22 Agust 1989. It was a lovely C210 then.

learjet1955
12th Sep 2004, 20:08
just wondering about this 210 business? very good aircraft,the best till the van for cessna,( I spent 1000 hours+ on it)were all AD's up to date,all pax tickets issued,W&B ok? and why did the pilot take off with a known oil leak? pax.......(e-sorry,sorry)work pressure?was not there,just gossiping. it is reported the prop reached the ground before the rest..... interresting!
May God bless those soles!RIP

Flying Bean
14th Sep 2004, 04:47
Dear Fellow PPruners
I have just returned from Livingstone where, with the DCA, we have concluded their Initial Investigation.
I am seeking their permission to issue a brief statement to make certain basic facts known and to counter some of the inaccurate statements from ZIS Media release(whats new??).
I hope to be able to do this by Wednesday.
Please Stand By.

Keith Downing
Travelafrica cc

4HolerPoler
14th Sep 2004, 05:00
Thanks FB - our thoughts are with you and those of Mike's family, in what must be a very difficult time.

4HP

k2climber
14th Sep 2004, 06:56
FB,
an update would be most appreciated. I can't seem to get any more info than what's currently known. I'm completely devastated by the news.
There's a memorial in Ottawa for Mike and many of his friends will be attending. I'm sure many pf them would very much like information too.
Thanks

Flying Bean
14th Sep 2004, 19:05
Sorry Guys but this is going to have to come out in bits and pieces for now in a very formal and precise manner.

1.DCA confirm there is NO Foundation to the story of an oil leak prior to take off.
2. On climb out after about 20 mins a sudden and heavy oil leak was followed by the Prop separating from the engine and subsequent engine failure.

Will try for more info when I can.

Please also see "Farewell to Mike" for memorial service details.

SkySista
15th Sep 2004, 07:14
I know the three Australians in the crash, family friends for years, the married couple are friends of mine.

Just wanted to pass on my condolences to the family of the pilot, as I know what they are going through. It is very strange being here in Australia and not knowing much, apart from the online newspapers, of course much is conjecture and rumor, will have to wait for report.

Thank you to those who are trying to find out why this had to happen.

Sky

Jockflyer
21st Sep 2004, 12:31
I flew for Airwaves last year, so I know how this will affect them. Theo takes the safety and well being of his pilots very personally. My thoughts are with everyone involved.

Learjet 1955. By your own admission your comments are just gossiping. I don't think that it's very appropriate in the circumstances. Tell me you've never taken off with a small oil leak in a piston! You're casting doubt over the professionalism of both pilot and organisation when I suspect you have little knowledge of either.

Wait for the official finding before you feel the need to comment negatively.

Maybe now that you fly a jet, you've forgotten what its like to fly in a piston single?

JF

MAINROTOR
23rd Sep 2004, 08:58
Jockflyer, nicely said!

This guy is out of line. Learjet 1955; people died and a good aviator was lost. Don't go and gossip if you don't have the correct facts. How do one of us know if there was a small oil leak or not anycase. It's not like one would transmit "Tower xxx requesting take-off, oh yes and by the way, I have a small oil leak..." Look at all the other postings of the other guys in this section; they all show compassion...

B Sousa
23rd Sep 2004, 14:11
Mainrotor
Dont be too hard on things. Major problem on these threads when there is an accident is some of the folks want to know what happened as soon as possible so that maybe it wont happen again. Others want to make the thread a condolence thread for the families. When these overlap your certainly not going to make friends. It happens all the time.

SkySista
24th Sep 2004, 09:05
(Also posted in the Farewell to Mike thread in Africa Aviation)

Today I attended the Memorial Service for my friends Shirley, Matthew & Justine Watters, (the three Australians who died in the crash.)

We were given this program, I thought I would share the message on the back from their families. Mike was mentioned a number of times in the service.

Matt's unbelieveable musical talent, and Justine's megawatt smile will never be forgotten. Shirley so caring to all.

Six people who will be very dearly missed by those who love them.

Sky

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Regretta/memservicethankyou.jpg

MAINROTOR
26th Sep 2004, 11:23
B Sousa, what you say are definitely true; but therefore it is best that one wait before a person starts criticizing on rumours. And yes this is a rumour network, but one needs to be very selective what you "rumour" about, especially with a sensitive case like this one before the official findings are made public.

Flying Bean
26th Sep 2004, 17:20
26th September 2004

STATEMENT FROM THE OWNER OF THE AIRCRAFT

ZS-KOX was a 1980 C210N (IO 550) which has been owned by myself (Travelafrica cc) for 15 years. Although it was my personal aircraft it has always been licensed and maintained in the Public Category. It was 212 hrs SMOH, 27 hrs since MPI. (with a major South African AMO).

The PIC, Canadian Mike Channer, had been flying the aircraft since its Major Overhaul.
His TT was 650 hrs+. He had been Licensed and Tested by the South African DCA for Commercial Operations.

The Aircraft was on a Temporary Short Term Lease to Airwaves Airlink in Zambia and engaged on a Charter Flight from Livingstone to Lusaka (1+5). The DCA Investigation Team confirm there was no oil leak reported BY anyone TO anyone prior to takeoff. (the source of this very irresponsible report was a Zambian Newspaper which was not able to verify any source).

About 20 mins after takeoff, still in the climb at approx 8000 ft, the pilot report a major oil leak. Shortly afterwards he reported power loss and that he was turning back. Descending at around 900 fpm he confirmed he had selected a field for his emergency landing. At some time during this sequence of events the propeller separated from the aircraft and the engine seized. The propeller was subsequently located some 5 nm from the crash site.
The pilot attempted a forced landing in a field but was unfortunately not successful.
With an oil obscured windscreen and no prop I am afraid the odds were heavily against him.

The question of the Prop separating from the engine is almost unique in Southern African Accident history and will warrant the closest scrutiny. I am awaiting confirmation that the engine & prop have been accepted by the FAA & NTSB in USA for forensic examination.

There are obviously a huge number of questions arising from this accident but I am afraid this is all that can be released at the moment.

Thank you all for your messages of help and sympathy.

Kind Regards
Keith Downing
Owner

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Sep 2004, 22:12
There was a prop separation from a C207 in the early '90s from Klerksdorp to Lanseria. Forced lob into a field with minimal damage, no injuries.

Condolences to family and friends of pilot and pax of the recent accident.

Flying Bean
27th Sep 2004, 04:14
Thanks for that SRT.

Anyone else with any other incidents, please post or send me a PM so we get as much background as possible.

FB

Jockflyer
30th Sep 2004, 12:12
Keith,

Sorry to hear about this incident, my thought are with you guys. I hope the rest of the season passes quitely.

Pass on my regards to the rest of the team.

JF

flyems
30th Sep 2004, 16:17
The C207 referred to was ZS-KEU, used as a jumpship at Carletonville at the time, it happened on a ferry flight, to either Rand or Lanseria (not sure about that detail) for maintenance when this happened...

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Sep 2004, 18:46
flyems

Klerksdorp to Lanseria. Pilot couldn't believe distance in the glide with no prop windmilling to create drag...

Flying Bean
2nd Oct 2004, 04:06
Thanks Ppruners.
Please Stand By as I want to open a specific thread on the aerodynamics of this incident in the next 48 hours and your input would be welcome.
FB

eflyer
6th Oct 2004, 19:04
Not very fair this last post.
Some guys take it when it suits them,
and reject the cie when problems comes up.
You'd better follow a loyal track, you'll go further and higher.

Condoleances for the families and friends involved in the accident.

No more comments, just sadness.

EF

Stephen Stark
7th Oct 2004, 06:18
Do you think that operators really want to loose aircraft? A lost aircraft = lost income = loads of inconvenience. What would the point of that be? Do operators cut corners to make a profit? Of course! It is a business! Have you never bought a half-rotting head of lettuce or an apple from the supermarket, or opened a can of coke at a restaurant and realise it's flat? I'm sure that even Qantas flies aircraft with snags, and South African Airways neglects little details in the cockpit. Is it really necessary to bash a company just after they have had such a big disaster? Come on, just a little comraderie would suffice :ok:

Flying Bean
11th Oct 2004, 18:53
Gusto is taking shots at the wrong target.

This was a South African registered aircraft maintained by one of the larger and certainly reputable South Africa AMO’s.

With regard to the oil leak story this originated solely from a Newspaper Article.
For the benefit of Gusto and others whom have not been part of a DCA Accident Investigation Team, I will take the time to answer part of this post in detail because it does relate directly to what often happens in accidents. You get a mass of information. Some accurate, much often inaccurate and unfortunately a lot of downright scurrilous. Also a very important fact that it often takes some time for facts to emerge, sometimes months after an accident. This ‘oil leak’ provides a classic example of how a persistent rumour can run away with the truth.

The story of the “oil leak before take off” was a very persistent section of this investigation. It originated the day after the accident from the ZIS wire service.
Accordingly it was accorded high priority by the investigation team.

Within 2 days of the accident the DCA interviewed, whether they were on duty or not,
ALL the ATC staff at Livingstone, the refueling crews, the airport security staff, especially those who had apron duty, the NAC ground handling staff and the other pilots who were operating at the time of the accident whether on the ground or air.

They were unable to find any evidence of any leak or find anyone who had seen a leak on the aircraft or anyone who had been told FIRST HAND about a leak on the aircraft. Nevertheless it was still not discarded.

They continued to question, especially Pilots, anyone who had heard the story to try and track down its origin.

Finally 18 days after the accident, on a routine visit to MFUWE to crosscheck some information it was discovered that someone had reported to Mfuwe Tower, as KOX was taxiing out the day before, that there was ‘something leaking from the aircraft’.
This turned out to be fuel venting from the wing tips. A quite normal occurrence after refueling. The ATC Tower Tapes have the full query, discussion with the pilot and answer on record.

So please do not rush to judgment on our various DCA’s in Southern Africa. In most cases they do a very fine job with the very limited resources they have.

FB

unablereqnavperf
11th Oct 2004, 19:48
Flying Bean

Props departing aircraft is not uncommon ther ewas an incident in the UK not so long ago when a Pa31 lost a prop. This caused violent rolls and made the aircraft almost unflyable. The PF was an ex military chap with a lot of experiance and he was lucky and skillfull enough to get the aircraft under sufficient control to carry out a forced landing.

Having cut my teeth on C210's in Africa I would think that, with 6 pax and enough fuel, the aircraft would have been almost impossible to control due to the very sudden shift of the CofG when the prop departed the aircraft. This effect would have been compounded if the pilot was reducing speed and preparing for a forced landing at the time.

I doubt wether any pilot would have been able to regain control in the time/altitude available to him in this case.

My sincere condolances to all concerned.

ps I may be able to get hold of a copy of the Pa31 incident if it helps your enquiries.

planecrazi
12th Oct 2004, 13:07
I had thought about that too. If the prop departs for what ever reason, the CofG would definately move aft, but by how much, I don't know. This would obviously be calculated on the basis of the weight of the prop and the exact moment. This would then affect the stalling speed, elevator authority for recovery and then the glide.

I look forward to reading more from Flying Bean.

Flying Bean
13th Oct 2004, 01:53
Thanks Guys

I have opened a new thread to discuss the aerodynamics.
Please give us your thoughts and maybe be of help to other flyers.

The Propless C210

FB

DualDriver
14th Oct 2004, 06:04
GUSTO

Not only are you from FOOL, you ARE a FOOL. You have the compassion of a crayfish. If you want to attack someone afetr a MAJOR accident and loss, go to another forum. You base your opinion on pure gosip.

Get a life...

GUSTO
14th Oct 2004, 09:15
DualDriver

First of all you probably did not understand the meaning of PPRUNE , this is a rumour network.
Secondly I have worked for the company that took this plane on lease and I know Flying Bean (+ the other owners) and the way they used to operate aircrafts and treats young pilots , so I think you have NO advises to give me.
As for your insults , a 5 years old kid will have done better , so keep on trying ...

Gusto

SkySista
14th Oct 2004, 16:11
GUSTO, yes you are entitled to your opinion, but courtesy suggests that you temper it with common sense. I lost very good friends in this accident, it hurts me so much, and what I want to know right now are FACTS. Proven, substantiated FACTS. I well know the rumours etc that fly around after events like this, but if you feel the need to spill all this so urgently, please consider others before you do it. Rubbishing someone who is not here to defend him/herself is lowest of the low.

If you have concerns regarding the company, perhaps PM the individuals involved.

My friends were lovely people who believed in forgiveness. They would want to know why it happened, not who to blame. There is always more than one factor in accidents, a chain of events. If, as you claim, the company had some part to play, it was only a link in the chain. People are human, they make mistakes. We are here reading this thread because we want to know what and why it happened, so that perhaps if one day, unfortunately, it happens to us, we may have a better idea of what may be done. We are not here to start a mudslinging match.

Remember that the forum owner may be held liable for any remarks that may be found to be slanderous.

Lots of people are hurting because of this. I am sure the company's people are too. You don't need to add to it also.

I say this respectfully, as already rumours have caused unnecessary pain to the family and friends involved. They are going through enough without extra burdens being thrown upon them by thoughtless individuals out to tell 'sensationalist' news. Things said/printed cannot be easily taken back. You may feel the need to reply with sarcasm or anger, if you do so, then may I say I only pity you for not being adult enough to accept someone else's viewpoint.

Sky

Atlas Shrugged
15th Oct 2004, 06:24
SkySista,

Well said! :ok:

A

SkySista
15th Oct 2004, 09:32
Glad to see a civil reply, Gusto. As for this:

My messages were not written to blame someone , but to take into consideration things that need to be CHANGED. Safety will improve if we all contibute to understand what happened , why and how can we avoid it next time .

Perhaps lodging a CAIR form (or African equivalent), or a letter/phone call to the relevant person on that country's Aviation Safety board would do the trick. If there are indeed serious points for concern, they must be looked at if a formal complaint/report is lodged. May I ask if you have done so? I'd hate to think that any negligence causing an accident went unchecked because no-one bothered to report it. Not pointing the finger at you, but something to think about. As you say, the tiny problem we see one day may be tomorrow's fatalities. Better to report it and look stupid if it's nothing than to not report and have to wake up to hear what happened to my friends & Mr Channer.

Topics of this nature are always touchy, and yes, I may be a bit too close to it to have commented, but.... Perhaps hitting the 'preview' button and re-reading may help next time...? ;)

Atlas, no worries mate...

Sky

Atlas Shrugged
18th Oct 2004, 23:50
Sky,

Check your PM's

A

SkySista
28th Mar 2005, 12:16
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything else WRT this accident? e.g. reports, findings etc? Had heard that some parts etc were being sent to NTSB, does anyone know how long it will be until they will have some sort of report?

Thanks for any info you have.

Sky

Flying Bean
30th Mar 2005, 01:48
An Inspector from NSTB who was visiting RSA in Nov/Dec 2004 had a look at the engine and prop (now here in RSA) and determined that only the Prop and Shaft needed to go to USA.
There then followed 3 months (!!!) of beaurocratic confusion with the various DCA's and the part finally left RSA for the USA last week.
So we still have some way to go, but I will keep the forum posted as things progress.

SkySista
30th Mar 2005, 02:48
Thanks Flying Bean :ok:

Didn't mean to come across pushy, I am just antsy to see how things are going, as I'm sure you will understand! :)

Thanks very much, at least I know that things are moving along still.

Carrier
17th Feb 2008, 18:01
Quote: “....but I will keep the forum posted as things progress.”

It’s been nearly three and a half years since the crash. This would seem to be long enough for a report to have been issued. Is an official report available? If so, would somebody kindly post the link to it or, if not available on-line, scan it or at least the summary/findings and post it here. Thanks.

Flying Bean
17th Feb 2008, 20:04
Carrier and others.
Your reminder is well timed.
(To briefly remind others. C210 on Charter with a Canadian Pilot and 5 British and Australian pax crashed 33nm after take off from Livingstone when the prop detached. No survivours)

This reply comes from the Action Group of the Families and Owner.
We were due to make a major press release at the end of January 2008, but have had to postpone the matter for maybe another 30 or 60 days.

The Zambian DCA Final Report (26 pages) did come out in Sept 2005. But the nub of the matter lies in the USA NTSB report (incorporated in the Zambian Report) and Australian ASB reports. Since the release of the Final Report, every single month there has been a significant action or reaction by the the various Authorities involved in the investigation up to and including this month. This very much restricts comments we can make at this time. There is very much a legal minefield to be negotiated.

I will attempt to post a link to the Final Report in the next couple of days.

In the meantime I can quote from Page 25 of the report:-

Para 3.2
a) Causes
The Investigating team determined that the cause of this accident was the in-flight detachment of the propeller from the aircraft as a result of the loss of preload of the propeller assembly attachment studs.
b) Probable contributing factors
i) Imporper torque of propeller studs
ii) Failure to wire lock the studs allowed the studs to back out of the propeller hub assembly resulting in the separation of the propeller from the aircarft.
iii) Failure to follow correct propeller installation proceedures
iv) Failure to use identifiable manufactures approved parts

#######

The engine was 220 hrs since Major Overhaul.
The aircraft was 30 hrs since MPI. (2 MPIs were done since the O/H)

We the Action Group, are very anxious that there should be a full and public discussion of this incident but would request your patience for a while longer.

Carrier
18th Feb 2008, 20:54
Flying Bean, thanks for the update. That makes interesting reading!

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has its final report available on its website. See occurrence 200405510. It does not come to any conclusions, so adds nothing further to everything above. www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2004/AAIR/aair200405510.aspx

The crash is referenced on the NTSB site under WAS04WA015. There seems to be a problem with the NTSB site as every attempt to access the report results in the following message: “Sorry, we are experiencing a problem with the database.”

eflyer
12th Apr 2009, 18:48
Out of the business for ten years, i read this thread with lots of regrets
Pilot fault
plane fault
maintenace fault
business fault
whatever the correct arrangment
Who cares ! familly and all parties involves

It come to the conlusion that something went wrong and lives were lost.
This is sad, very sad and paintfull, and no punishment will solve this fact.

It is a lesson for everyone that will make their best to make sure this king of accident does not occure again.

Best regards to the passengers family , pilot family, and company family.

Sylvain

Carrier
26th Sep 2009, 02:13
What has happened about this?

Who are the members of the Action Group?

What has the Action Group achieved?

What has happened to the full and public discussion of this incident/crash?

Carrier
26th Feb 2010, 16:16
Is there still no progress with this? It would seem to be clear that the prop was incorrectly fastened with illegal parts and that this was a major cause of the crash. If so, has anyone been charged? If not, why not?

Who are the members of the Action Group?

KRONOS
27th Feb 2010, 17:13
As far as I know the maintenance company who did the last MPI was found guilty, lost their license to operate (AMO) and got sued for a few million in liabilities, and I think guilty on manslaughter...

The owner of the AMO, had a AOC as well, traded in bankrupsy and owes a lot of people a lot of money....bankrupted the business, and is currently trying to ressurect the whole thing, go to Nelspruit South Africa, they own half the airport....

Keith might have the nitty gritty details, I have lost touch with him.

OUTCOME, the propeller was fixed to the crankshaft without the "torque studs" therfore the propeller bolts took all the torque and gyroscopic force, and eventually broke off,

this is all second hand or older info, but you can allways call RIALEN air in Nelspruit and talk to the owner