PDA

View Full Version : IR before CPL option?

captainjono
17th Feb 2008, 17:05
Hi there,

I’ve got my Multi-Engine IR and CPL lined up for next month at BFC but was wondering if there’s a rational behind why some flying schools like BFC do IR before the CPL?
Logic would tell me that doing the CPL first would allow students time to get fully up to speed before commencing the IR.
Can anyone who’s done the IR first give me any advice or useful tips on how best to tackle it this way round.

Many thanks :ok:

parris50
17th Feb 2008, 18:00
I think the reason may be to do with the fact that you may not need so many hours on the CPL course if you have an IR. Lasors will confirm this. I'm not convinced that it's a great idea as you will get used to flying on instruments and will then have to get back to speed with VFR again.

MIKECR
17th Feb 2008, 18:20
I did IR first before CPL. Knocked off 10 hours of the CPL syllabus which was a bonus, managed to get things finished probably a lot quicker. Going back to VFR stuff after IR felt a bit of a backward step though, almost a waste of time.

I-LBF
18th Feb 2008, 07:57
I would prefere CPL before IR as you can get up to the quality of flying that CPL requires, then transfer that skill into IR.

As you learn CPL with VFR flying, then add the IFR option ontop.

Glorified IMC, and cant do that without PPL :}

shortleg
18th Feb 2008, 11:18
In my experience most people who have done the IR before CPL do so because of the weather. If you start your CPL/IR training in the winter when the weather is poor, you will get more done if you do the IR first and then complete the CPL once the weather has improved.

Parson
18th Feb 2008, 12:09
At BFC you'll start with 6 hrs ME training before starting the IR in the sim. This can be a shock to the system coming straight from a 152, but don't worry. You do your MEP class rating after the IR by which stage you will be well up to speed on the PA-34.

You'll also enjoy the CPL (which I did in 2.5 weeks) after the stress of the IR.

If doing it again, I'd take the same route.