PDA

View Full Version : CJ2 course at flight safety

Son of a Beech
17th Feb 2008, 16:46
I'm going to flightsafety in Wichita to do a CJ2 course (proline 21). I was a littt surprised that the whole ground school is only 3-4days. Are the CJ2 systems really that easy or is the course a crash course which is actually not sufficient to fully comprehand the airplane? How is the rest of the course? How many hours of simtime do you get? does the CJ have lots of "memory items" ? Anybody that did the course and wants to comment please do

SOAB

DirtySanchezcousin
18th Feb 2008, 00:46
It sounds like you are only doing the recurrent course and not the initial course. The initial course is approximately 2 weeks. You better check your booking if you have never flown CJ before because i am certain if your course is only 3 days then it is the recurrent and not the initial.

733driver
18th Feb 2008, 07:58
He was just talking about groundschool, not the entire course.

To answer the questions: The systems are fairly simple but there will not be enough time to thoroughly cover the details. A few days of groundschool just aren't enough. Unfortunatelly these ratings are a bit of a box ticking exercise. You would want to get a copy of the training manuals before you go. Have a look at the systems, just to get a rough idea. Also, know your memory items and limitations before you go. Passing the written and the checkride won't be a problem but you will want to review what you have learned when you come back.

Baron Von Mildred
18th Feb 2008, 11:57
Are you self sponsoring? Are you doing a JAA rating? How much is it?

Son of a Beech
18th Feb 2008, 19:20
The coursediscription was for 3-4 days systems, 1 day performance, 1 day procedures and 8 days of sim.

TP102
18th Feb 2008, 20:06
I have just completed a C550 initial at CAE so should be very similar. 4 days systems plus a couple on performance/manoeuvres/revision then 6 days sim plus a check ride on the 7th. To be honest even though this was my first jet type this really wasn't a problem as the systems really are much more simple than a large jet. There is much less redundancy which really keeps the systems to a minimum.
As has been said before though, you will need to keep refreshing yourself after you have finished as learning all this stuff so quickly means its needs future repetition to really stick!
Good luck, you'll enjoy it I'm sure.
TP.

Rotorstator
4th Mar 2008, 00:55
3 days sounds about right for an initial. I completed the 560XL course in September and we were allocated 3.5 days with test in the afternoon before sim training started on the friday after a day of performance and loading. Apparently under JAR you have to have completed and passed the Groundschool before starting in the sim which I guess makes sense.

We all to a man commented that the pace was fast and that it was unrealistic in its length of time allocated to groundschool and the instructor agreed. He said that the courses were still structured around the format for the 500-550 and irrespective of the model 500,550 & 560 the groundschool time allocated was the same.

I benefited somewhat from having flown the Bravo previously.

Still found Flightsafety very good though.

Agree with 733 driver, get a copy of the material before you go
regards

RAFAT
20th Mar 2008, 02:25
As a slight aside, does anyone have any strong recommendations on the travel options from the UK to Wichita? i.e. airline, route etc, a transit stop will obviously be involved.

:ok:

Son of a Beech
20th Mar 2008, 07:09
Finnished the course and i was as expected. 3.5 days ground school and it was way to short.

Does anybody know, what are the TSA requirements if i go on a recurrent training in 6 months time?

soab

PicMas
20th Mar 2008, 10:02
Does anybody know, what are the TSA requirements if i go on a recurrent training in 6 months time?

I seem to remember that TSA approval is only required for the initial, from then on you are approved in the immigration system to do sim. training.

doublestrobe
20th Mar 2008, 14:15
Not sure about the Cessna Learning Centre, but the Raytheon (at the time!) Learning Centre took the attitude of... ok, here are the systems, this is what it does and, briefly, how it does it.

If you want to know about every screw part number and then about the valve back there opening like this and closing like that, and then how to FIX it, then there is an engineering classroom across the road!

Have fun with the CJ2! All the best.

RAFAT
20th Mar 2008, 19:41
Thanks Mike, your points are duly noted with regard to the timings. Have you done the route via Houston at all? this has been recommended as an alternative.