PDA

View Full Version : Work in UK ?

Thomas.L
17th Feb 2008, 15:07
Hello everybody,

I’m a French student, and I’m carrying out a « BTS Maintenance et Exploitation des Matériels Aéronautiques” equivalent to an "English Short Vocational Training Course in Maintenance and Operation of Aeronautical Materials » at the Amaury de la Grange Institute.

I wonder if I can find easily a permanent job in UK in order to improve efficiently my english?

I asked several persons about that but everybody told me “take your B1 licence !”
I recognize it would be easier with it, but I would prefer working in an office or in the worst case as an unlicensed mechanic if there are offers.

In short, if you have an idea or a clue, don’t hesitate. It would be interesting for the others too!

Thank you,

Thomas.

Vortechs Jenerator
18th Feb 2008, 07:20
How about trying Airbus or Embraer as a Tech Rep. You can then be placed all over and you French/English would be an asset too.

Thomas.L
18th Feb 2008, 12:10
Thank you for your answer.

The majority of jobs found on the airbus' website are for engineers, but it is such a good idea.

And what do you mean by "Tech rep" ? Is it "Technician in Repair" ?

I'm still searching, don't hesitate !

Thomas.

quichemech
18th Feb 2008, 13:13
Thomas, a Tech rep is a company representative who is usually an engineer who deals with Technical problems that may arise with his employers product.

Turbomeca and Eurocopter both have, or have had Tech reps in the UK to deal with various problems.

As for the unlicensed work as a mechanic, most people will look for some experience, you would probably be better off trying Airbus, Westlands, Rolls Royce and other manufacturers. There is also Eurocopter uk based in Oxford, your mother tongue may come in useful there.

Thomas.L
23rd Feb 2008, 16:40
Thank you for your answer,

I've found several jobs as tech rep on the major companies, and i've found a french program website which allows students to work abroad.
Roll-Royce is a member of this program for example.

Anyway, still searching !

Thomas

steven938
1st Mar 2008, 20:01
Ok so it doesn't quite have the 'glamour' of working on the line with real airplanes but you're in the warm and dry, you can pretend to fly a selection of different aircraft and the pay is decent. Have a look around the various simulator web sites - especially Flight Safety International (Paris & Farnborough), CAE (Tolouse, RAF Benson, Gatwick), Thales (French company) and GE. You might find something nearer to you.

If you have any sort of interest in aircraft and know a bit about electronics and fancy Farnborough, drop me a PM and I'll do my best to help.