PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Agency - what does it do?

cazatou
17th Feb 2008, 10:30
I recently saw a post from Tucumseh referring to the "Veterans Agency" - an organisation that I had not heard of before.

I looked it up on the web and found that I am entitled to a "Veterans Badge" and all I have to do is fill in and send to them a form giving them:-

National Insurance Number
Full Name
Address
Telephone code & number
Date of Birth
Service Number
HM Forces Service or Unit
Period of Service

Now each month "PAYMASTER" transfer my pension into my account and they send me an annual P60 for my records; so why have the Agency not just issued the badges to all those in receipt of a Pension.

What, however, about those from Commonwealth Countries who served in the UK Armed Forces. In my time I served with Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians, South Africans, Maltese and many others. At one time in the 60's & 70's there was a large Fijian presence in the SAS and we are still lucky enough to be able to deploy Ghurka Units. How many of these would be aware of a "Veterans Agency".

How much are these people paid to sit at a desk and wait for people to contact them?

Chris Kebab
17th Feb 2008, 12:14
I think you are being a tad disingenuous there - they do slightly more than "free badges".

I've been talking to these guys recently about an up-coming war/disability pension issue and they have been extremely helpful.

Mind you they never mentioned a free badge!

noregrets
17th Feb 2008, 12:19
I received my Veteran's badge within a few weeks of leaving last year - and very smart it is too! Not sure about when it should be worn though, any recommendations?

Seems a shame that they're already popping up on ebay (and fetching good prices too)... :bored:

The Helpful Stacker
17th Feb 2008, 12:34
I was handed a 'Veterans Badge' by a very bored LAC stacker when I de-kitted and was also sent one by the Veterans Agency about 2 months after I had left the RAF.

Roadster280
17th Feb 2008, 12:53
... those who served alongside HM Armed Forces are not eligible (e. g. Canadian Navy or Royal Australian Air Force).

Why not? The badge says "HM Armed Forces veteran". As long as Auntie Betty is the head of state, and they're called things like Royal Australian Navy, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, I fail to see how they are not veterans of Her Majesty's Armed Forces (all of them).

Gallipoli. Thousands and thousands of Australians and New Zealanders dead, and the survivors couldn't have a stinking badge?

Even in 1982, the RNZN sent a frigate to relieve a RN frigate of its duties, lending a hand.

This is just plain wrong.

Baskitt Kase
17th Feb 2008, 13:57
Roadster, shouldn't veterans having served in other national forces get recognition from their own country's veteran organisation? If I follow your logic (and I admit that I could be missing your point) working alongside British Forces means you should be able to claim being a 'British' veteran so wouldn't it mean that I should claim to be a US veteran as well as British on the basis that I have worked with them on ops? (And Canadian, Belgium, French, Autralian etc etc). My lapel simply wouldn't be big enough for all the badges I'd be entitled to if that were the case. I also wouldn't be comfortable to be a 'Canadian veteran' despite never having served in the CAF.

Now, those that served in our forces rather than with them, ie the many Canadians, Poles etc during WW2, should definitely be entitled and from my reading, I belive that they are.

Edited for my dreadful typing skills

timex
17th Feb 2008, 14:17
I was sent the Vets badge when I left the RM 4 yr ago, showed it to my Dad who was surprised that he hadn't recieved one. Went on-line filled in the relevant forms posted it off and 4 wks later a shiney badge turned up for him.

All you need to do is fill in your details and send it off.

cazatou
17th Feb 2008, 14:45
The point is how many people who are entitled to the badge do not even know about it to claim it - even though their details are known to the system.

Until I saw the post by Tucumseh I was not aware that any such Agency existed - how many advertisments have there been in the media to appraise people about their "entitlement"? How many in the media of Commonwealth Countries?

One other minor point - at the bottom right of the Form it states under the heading "Free phone Helpline" +44 1253 866043 (Overseas). I wonder how many people have had a nasty shock when their telephone bill arrived?

trap one
17th Feb 2008, 19:14
Wasn't offered a badge, was offered a Veterans ID card. What stuck in my craw was the £10 fee to get it. As if 27 years wasn't enough of a charge. I know that TANSTAAFL still applies but sorry I thought what would the £10 get me in UK.

I know that it will save me money/get discount in USA but I don't visit USA that often.

As far as I know the US Veterans doesn't pay but gets a SH1T load of benefits to use it on.

Rant off

Shack37
18th Feb 2008, 13:35
CK, you may have found the VA very helpful with your War/Disability Pension claim issue but if you go to an appeal tribunal because your pension claim has been rejected the guy sitting beside you, telling the suits why you shouldn't have the pension will be from the VA. He/she will be using "helpful information" provided by you in your original claim.
Beware the "ides of march" Caesar.:uhoh:

GPMG
18th Feb 2008, 13:51
Just ordered mine, should look nice nestled next to my Blue Peter badge :)

extpwron
19th Feb 2008, 09:34
From Blazing Saddles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYAksrJGjXg&NR

but I sent off for mine yesterday!

cazatou
19th Feb 2008, 14:56
Here in France the Minister for "Ancien Combattants" is a Junior Cabinet Minister.

Now - who is the UK Minister whose sole responsibility is for the welfare of Service veterans?

Riskman
20th Feb 2008, 18:34
Get a veterans badge that means something! £14pa membership :ok:

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/