View Full Version : Exchange rate dilemna

rick.shaw
16th Feb 2008, 22:00
Many factors are making CX less desirable than other carriers and that is why people are realising that there are many other options out there. Exchange rates, T and C's that are being eroded (both in real terms and effective terms), company culture, time to upgrade to name but a few.

Sure, people are still coming to CX. The Headland roll call confirms that. But what CX are finding is that there are 2 very new types that are actually turning up to interviews, and of course getting the jobs unless they are complete cripples.

1. The ones who are simply coming to CX for a free type rating, and

2. Those who are open to other opportunities should they arrive in the near future (i.e. once they are here, would think nothing of quitting at any time that suits them. There is no loyalty.).

No longer do people think of CX as a long term career airline. It is a mere stepping stone and with such a long time to upgrade, they know that they can invest a few years here and go elsewhere without feeling they have wasted their time.

The DEFO's are probably no different. They get a free type rating, stay in their own country, get some instant RHS time and can also leave at any time for greener pastures.

Ok - to the point. There is lots of talk about exchange rates. EK have a protection program in place. There has been talk that this is becoming less effective due to the nature of the scheme (a rolling 5 year system?). However, at least it is in place.

Some would view the exchange rate problem as not being CX's fault. I agree, however (and thanks to Chimbu on the D and G forum for quoting this) it is still their PROBLEM. And a problem that may need to be addressed.

A slow start to the weekend......

Sqwak7700
17th Feb 2008, 07:42
"(i.e. once they are here, would think nothing of quitting at any time that suits them. There is no loyalty.)"

...ahh, what's your point. The only flying job I showed up for with loyalty was my first flying job. And it only took me 2 weeks to realize my worth at that company, which is why my loyalty "poofed" into thin air.

Lets not kid each other. I'm not out to screw others, I do what I am paid to do, but I won't think twice about leaving company "A" for company "B" if it suits me. I have as much loyalty towards where I work as I have for my cell phone provider; I'm there as long as they don't piss me off too much.

Everything a company does it does for a reason; wether financial or in "their best interest", it doesn't matter. You think they have any loyalty to their employees?? And if you think it used to be different in the old days, then I have some property I would like to sell you on the moon. :ugh:

The only people you should have loyalty for is your fellow employees, they are in the same situation as you and therefore are in the same team. That was the biggest difference I observed after coming here to CX; employees actually being a detriment to other employees carreers. No matter how much you hated someone where I worked, if you didn't resolve it by yourself, that is as far as it went. No one "wrote up" anyone to management. :yuk: That was unheard off, no matter who it was or what they did. The worst it would get was calling Professional Standards in the Union to help them resolve the situation. :D