PDA

View Full Version : First QF A380 - Toulouse

Pedota
16th Feb 2008, 21:53
The first QF A380 has been assembled at Toulouse and is now undergoing testing . . . and will apparently become VH-OQA when it is delivered.

See http://www.jetphotos.net/news/index.php?blog=1&title=the-first-qantas-a380-is-seen-at-toulous&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Howard Hughes
16th Feb 2008, 22:58
What about the other story and picture?:ok:
http://www.jetphotos.net/news/media/userfiles/7864047000.jpg.400.jpg

Swift6
17th Feb 2008, 05:02
Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't that the old Roo logo? I thought they had to change the logo due to the A380 and B787?

dreamjob
17th Feb 2008, 05:36
Yeah, that's the old logo. I'm sure once it goes in for its final paint job they'll change that!

Buster Hyman
17th Feb 2008, 05:55
Howard, is that the new City of Redfern???

Howard Hughes
17th Feb 2008, 06:26
Definitely has a touch of the 7-10 to Redfern about it, I wonder if they're leaving the undercoat so it will be easier to paint ORANGE?http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/stirthepot.gif

NAMPS
17th Feb 2008, 06:52
...I thought that was bog.

Capt Wally
17th Feb 2008, 08:46
It may arrive ready for service just as it is, less paint. Why? lighter therefore less fuel, just so the likes of GD can get more bonuses for saving a few buckeroos:} !!

CW

Buster Hyman
17th Feb 2008, 09:52
Well, this way, they can delay which liverie to paint it up in....:hmm:

Pedota
17th Feb 2008, 10:00
The aircraft appears to be in ‘camouflage’ – perhaps QF is planning a take over of the RAAF and this is the first of the new heavy lift transport types?;)

International Trader
17th Feb 2008, 11:34
Either way- No prize for second place.

I am sure that they are also assembling several for ALFC and several other non descript operators.

PennyBenjamin
18th Feb 2008, 02:30
does anyone know when it hits Sydney town to work? it is due to enter service in August, is that when it gets here?any proving flights in Aus first??

Stationair8
18th Feb 2008, 02:31
It will look nice in the Jet* colours.

RENURPP
18th Feb 2008, 04:26
It really is an ugly giant of a machine.

maybe I am just bias, but the old 727, DC9 etc are a much nicer looking aircraft.

NAMPS
18th Feb 2008, 04:34
It is ugly. I refer to it affectionately as the 'Flying Dugong'

ramyon
18th Feb 2008, 04:39
It definately looks a bit stubby for it's wing span. Maybe the 900 stretch model will fix that:cool:

lowerlobe
18th Feb 2008, 05:11
Maybe the 900 stretch model will fix that

They can't even sell enough of this variant to break even so another model isn't likely....

B772
18th Feb 2008, 07:38
The current A380 is an entry level aircraft. The economics change considerably with a stretch and resultant greater capacity.

I understand the current offering weighs approx. 100 tonnes more than the
B747-8, yet only carries 16 tonnes more payload.

ramyon
18th Feb 2008, 09:13
They can't even sell enough of this variant to break even so another model isn't likely....

I disagree, I'd say that with in 3 - 4 years after the aircraft is flying in greater numbers and Airbus has suffciently ramped up production every major long-haul airline that doesn't yet fly A380's will be wishing that they did. Then the order book will start to fill up very quickly.

That combined with increasingly slot restricted airports and the urging of groups such as Emirates, who want a bigger aircraft, in my opinion make the case for a stretched A380 not a matter of if, but when and by how much ??:ok:

The current A380 is an entry level aircraft. The economics change considerably with a stretch and resultant greater capacity

Yeah that^

Wandering
18th Feb 2008, 11:17
Rego won't be VH QQA. That belongs to a DH8 in PER.

dreamjob
18th Feb 2008, 11:46
OQA ... :cool:

Mstr Caution
29th Mar 2008, 03:27
It will look nice in J* colours

Negotiations have been stalled recently which would have had the aircraft arrive with a qantas tail and fuselage promotional decals

Hmmm, what else would it have coincided with in late 2008?

MC:8

Capt Kremin
29th Mar 2008, 06:19
You Jetstar stirrers will have to wait. Borghetti is so keen to start flying the aircraft in QF colours to compete with SQ that he is sending 24 of the initial crews direct to Toulouse to get their route flying done before delivery in August. This way they can get the aircraft into service almost immediately instead having to wait until October while the crews got themselves qualified.

rescue 1
29th Mar 2008, 23:28
The QF kangaroo looks like the old version...not the new one launched with gusto recently???!!!

Captain Sherm
30th Mar 2008, 06:03
Captain K,

Exactly how does the expensive strategy of flying 24 pilots to Toulouse get the A380s into the air any faster? Qantas have a 380 sim so crews can do lots of OE time and sectors and presumably 330 crews are the initial cadre so what does sectors in Europe do? I'd have thought Airbus would supply line training captains as manufacturers always do to help ease the load.

Jabawocky
30th Mar 2008, 07:26
Maybe they are the A330 guys.....who have nothing to fly at present:E

J:ok:

Lord Flashhart
30th Mar 2008, 07:37
Are the quantass guys doing a Full conversion or a CCQ?

Capt Kremin
30th Mar 2008, 08:02
Sherm, they need actual sectors as well as Sim time. I believe the requirement is four sectors each. They will simply be flying around Europe. The initial timetable was delivery in August and first revenue service in October. I don't know when the first revenue service will be now but maybe late August/early September.

This is straight from one of the 24.

The course is not a CCQ, but a hybrid of the conversion of about 6 weeks. I don't believe that there will be CCQ between the two types. They are too different. S/O's maybe, but not Capts and F/O's

I'm Driving
30th Mar 2008, 08:12
Jaba.

Who got EBG,H, and I? And J,K,L, who's getting them?

And how much were guys getting paid during the time they "had nothing to fly"? :D True enough, but just a bit late on the execution.

I can also confirm the talk of QF guys going to Toulouse to fly the prototype. Also, word is QF may get it a bit earlier than planned.

Keg
30th Mar 2008, 09:58
Spoke to one of the A380 guys yesterday.

Six sectors (five PF, one PNF) and then a two sector check. They go to Toulouse so that they don't have a frig around in Australia for a few weeks flogging the aircraft around not earning money whilst they all finish the endorsement.

CCQ is five sims I think. The guy I spoke to reckons it's the bees knees and is hanging out to fly the thing for real.

topend3
30th Mar 2008, 11:06
I disagree, I'd say that with in 3 - 4 years after the aircraft is flying in greater numbers and Airbus has suffciently ramped up production every major long-haul airline that doesn't yet fly A380's will be wishing that they did. Then the order book will start to fill up very quickly.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. B787 and B777 will suit some of those airlines just fine...

topend3
30th Mar 2008, 11:08
also, EBG has just gone of one of the new A332's so i'd say the availables in that block have been reserved for those machines...

lemel
31st Mar 2008, 01:06
does anyone know if any SO's starting with qf will be going on the 380? (and if so, when?). i know that at the moment SO's are on the 744 and 330.

cheers
lemel

Lord Flashhart
31st Mar 2008, 07:24
Capt Kremin,

Ek are running it as a CCQ. Flew with an guy last night who has done it, reckons it was easy as. He said you don't have to think, and that it was beautiful to fly. The only paper thing in the QRH was the smoke checklist. No more Manuals laid out every where for a simple failure. Definitely within the realms of a CCQ, in fact he called it '380 for Dummies'.
:ok:

mattyj
31st Mar 2008, 08:24
Who would quote weights on the 747-8..thats a pipe dream at this stage. Who knows how much a couple of centre wing box redesigns will weigh anyhow :E :E

Maggott17
31st Mar 2008, 10:11
I wouldn't worry about the shape of the Roo on the tail.....

Its the shape of the T-Tail in the front that is a worry.:rolleyes:

Full Noise
3rd Apr 2008, 00:51
surly the next few direct entry SO's will start on the 380....

hotnhigh
3rd Apr 2008, 01:29
I think june course is onto the 380. As for the costs of associated training. Sounds like QF is spending truck loads in Toulouse subsidising the jetstar 330 training. Rumours at $350000 per month to send QF guys their for initial 330 training due to no sim time in their own sim due to 'outsourcing' the slots available. Nice one.:ugh::yuk::mad:

Capt Kremin
3rd Apr 2008, 03:23
due to no sim time in their own sim

Qantas Group Training now owns the sim. I firmly believe that the move to QGT will be seen as a major, major screwup. QF pilots have had many cyclics cancelled of late due to no Sim resources. Same goes for E.P.s.

max autobrakes
3rd Apr 2008, 03:30
Plus sims continuously breaking down due lack of maintainence, a cost cutting inititive no doubt.
As a result a number of pilots need to come back to complete cyclics, another 5.30hrs pay.
Who's budget is the additional 5.30hrs pay attributable to?
Got to love this concept of business segmentation, or at least the bean counters must.:bored:

Transition Layer
3rd Apr 2008, 03:45
SO's who were originally assigned the A330 off the Jan,Feb and March courses have been moved over to the A380 due to lack of available A330 sim anywhere in the world (apparently).

They will be doing a lot of sitting around as the first revenue flight isn't til October. Plenty of time to work on the golf swing and the beer gut!

hotnhigh
3rd Apr 2008, 04:37
No matter how many coates of paint it has on it, its a debacle.
QGT... Training for the future... but not QF's.:D

Keg
3rd Apr 2008, 05:13
There is no doubt that moving QF flight training from a cost center to a profit center is something that needed to occur. The question is to what degree is this appropriate and sustainable and- as others have mentioned on here- to whom are the 'costs' attributed.

I like the fact that a year after the A330 sim is moved to Sydney there is a need for a second sim. Where shall we put it? Why don't we put it where the A330 sim used to be in Mel. I'm sure it makes sense on someone's spreadsheet but most line crew I've spoken to reckon it shows a lack of foresight and therefore credibility.

hotnhigh
3rd Apr 2008, 05:26
True Keg, however there is a cost in running an airline. The costs now being worn by mainline are to the benefit centres in the group, ie jetstar, and other airlines that we compete against. Ridiculous. But to get this thread back where it should be... Any one with the date of arrival of the first qf 380 in oz?