PDA

View Full Version : How about a little gathering at this place.....

BRL
16th Feb 2008, 18:59
Hi all. Sunday 30th March '08 sees the Gatwick Aviation Museum open from 10am to 4pm.

All cockpits will be open and they will be starting the engines of the Shackleton at 2pm.

Entrance in is a fiver and this goes to the RAFA Horley Branch, they are celebrating the 90th birthday of the RAF there.

Not sure if you can still fly in, worth asking though!

More info here......... (http://www.gatwick-aviation-museum.co.uk/)

Saab Dastard
16th Feb 2008, 21:13
BRL,

I am up for that! I'll be driving in, though!

Are you aiming to go yourself? It would be good to see you.

SD

Saab Dastard
10th Mar 2008, 21:39
Getting closer!

Any further update about this, BRL?

SD

pmills575
16th Mar 2008, 13:44
Not a great deal to add, cockpits will be open (weather permitting) the Shack is always open to visitors, it will open from 11 am until about 1:15/30 and again once the run has finished. The Lightning has been "paneled up" i.e. tanks and weapons pack fitted, plus the seat is back in now. It's looking very complete internally and looks ready to go!

http://gatwick-aviation-museum.co.uk/graphics/open-marchlo.jpg

Other items may be added as the time approaches, there may be vintage military vehicles arriving etc etc.

Peter Mills
Gatwick Aviation Museum - Engineering team and webmaster

Saab Dastard
27th Mar 2008, 14:26
I'm aiming to arrive at about 11, Doc400 is also intending to be there for the same time.

The intention is to enjoy luncheon at a local hostelry and pop back for the Shack!

SD

Saab Dastard
31st Mar 2008, 10:14
I made it down, with Doc.400. Well worth it - great to be given a guided tour of the inside of a Shackleton - even better to see and hear all 4 Griffons started up! Unbelievable to think of 10 crew cooped up in there for 14 hours or more.

Mercifully, the rain stayed away, so the cockpits were open. I had a guided tour of the Lightning cockpit - as they say, easy to fly, but a massive load to fight it! The Lightning is being restored to near-airworthy condition, so they will be able to do engine runs (and taxis - if they had anywhere to taxi!).

Sad to see the condition of so many - standing in the open they are just rotting away, inside and out.

Anyone else make it down?

SD