PDA

View Full Version : Clarification regarding to BA and OAA

speed787
16th Feb 2008, 18:40
I am planning to join OAA, however after doing some research on different resources (including pprune) I have realized I am getting many different answers!

I just want to clarify 2 points!

Will I be able to join BA after graduating from OAA’s APP First Officer course?

I am not an EU-citizen, Will I be able to work for BA?
From their website, they stated all pilots must have the rights to work in the EU,
however if BA offers a work visa for foreign pilots, they will be able to work within the EU.

Extremely confused here!

I have tried emailing BA, however the only feedback I got back is that they can’t provide personal career’s advice.

Thanks for help guys!

hollingworthp
16th Feb 2008, 19:23
I suggest you phone one of the training advisers at OAA and ask them.

nick14
16th Feb 2008, 21:44
Yes you may have a CHANCE at applying to BA when you return from your CPL training if your groundschool and flying report meet BA standards and they select you for application.

as for not being an EU citizen, as long as you have a right to live and work in the UK then i dont believe you will have a problem.

If BA are required to organise visas etc then i doubt they will employ you as they could find another pilot without any extra effort.

hope this helps
Nick

PS if i am wrong on any of the above I apologise, I am open to correction:ok:

Eddie_Crane
16th Feb 2008, 22:15
from BA's website:

Pilots

Eligibility Checklist

Residency

* Passport allowing unrestricted worldwide travel
* Entitled to live and work in the EU without time restriction
[...]

speed787
16th Feb 2008, 23:32
thats why i am confused.. not sure about the 2nd part..

BA can 'help' me to be entitiled to work in the EU? will they?

nick14
17th Feb 2008, 01:43
my guess is no,

why wud they if they can just employ someone who is EU, its more work on thier part.

Re-Heat
17th Feb 2008, 11:20
Of which country are you a citizen? That would probably help anyone responding to your question.

What is your current UK visa status as well?

Hufty
17th Feb 2008, 12:33
The BA website says it all. I am sure if they were prepared to to the trouble of recruiting non EU residents then they would say so. I am sure they will be able to find all the people they need.

Adios
17th Feb 2008, 16:56
Only 12-15% of OAA's graduates go to BA each year , so it's one hell of a long shot if even you have permanent leave to remain. It's a bit foolhardy to pick a school based on their partner airlines. What's the saying? Don't count your chickens before the eggs have hatched.

Atreyu
17th Feb 2008, 18:51
I would have to agree with the above. Take whatever job you can get on graduation, worry about your long term career when you have a good few hours?

Atreyu

speed787
17th Feb 2008, 19:02
To be honest, althogh BA is my preferred airline, i really dont mind any sort of flying jobs, What i am really worried about is i wont even be able to find a job after graduating from OAA. because i am not an EU citizen!

FYI- I hold a British Overseas Passport, which doesnt give me the right to work within the EU..

Thanks

Adios
17th Feb 2008, 21:56
What country or countries do you have the right to work in?

Flaperon75
18th Feb 2008, 15:48
"FYI- I hold a British Overseas Passport, which doesnt give me the right to work within the EU.."

I think you've answered your own quesiton there.... BA will only consider you if you have the right to work in the EU, which you clearly don't. The reason they state this explicity is because they don't want to spopnsor work visas as this will cost them extra. Sorry bud!