PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts of Delta long haul in economy?

nivsy
16th Feb 2008, 14:49
Have been considering a few days in San Fran from London in May.

Looks as if best fares are using Delta out of Gatwick on the 767 service (with connection stops both outbound and in bound)

Does anyone know if Delta are ok longhaul on the 767 in "coach"?. Looks as if the long haul sectors are outbound to Atlanta and inbound from Cincinnati.

Are Delta part of one world, Skyteam or Star Alliance?

Nivsy

Final 3 Greens
16th Feb 2008, 15:18
Nivsy

Delta are Slyteam.

Only used them once, for a free ticket LGW ATL on 767 service.

That particular crew were friendly and full of southwestern charm (NB I am not being sarcastic.)

I'm loathe to recommend on the basis of one flight, but that experience could not have been better.

Seats weren't great, but with a cushion to support lumbar region, it was ok.

radeng
16th Feb 2008, 15:39
Delta is said to stand for 'Don't Ever Let Through Atlanta'. I would be surprised if you don't have to pay $5 for a wine or a beer, like most, if not all, US carriers in economy. (But NOT like BA!!) I haven't flown transatlantic economy with them for at least 20 years: then, they were much the same as the others as far as comfort was concerned, and I doubt they're any different now.

nivsy
16th Feb 2008, 15:55
Yeah thanxs guys. last pond trip was with United and they like all US Carriers were 5 bucks for a poor beer. Also I think the IFE on the DL 767's is rather poor and the aircraft a bit "worn". Its a fair point on transiting Atlanta.

BA and Virgin are more expensive (but at least direct) for the dates chosen and US Air via Philli maybe alternative. A330 I think.

Even with the pound/dollar exchange rate I guess I was just so surprised it cost so much!:rolleyes:

Nivsy

obgraham
16th Feb 2008, 16:08
Went Delta recently Atlanta to Barcelona and return in economy.
Same as all US carriers. 767 was pretty worn out. So were cabin crew. Two hours late outbound, on time returning. IFE pretty much nonexistent: your iPod video is an upgrade!

But we got there, and back, and had a great time.

Avman
16th Feb 2008, 16:19
I did have good experiences with them years ago, but tired planes and tired crews pretty much sums up DELTA today I'm sorry to say.

Hufty
16th Feb 2008, 17:31
I flew Delta about a year ago and they were ordinary really - just the same as every other US carrier.....however I would use them again as Atlanta is a great hub. I would rather connect via ATL than JFK or EWR.....

However, I would like to add that I would ALWAYS use a British carrier in preference to an American one.....it really bugs me to be charged $5 for a glass of wine and then treated like an alcoholic when you ask for another one!

Hartington
16th Feb 2008, 21:51
The international arrivals at ATL is placed such that when you've cleared customs and immigration you have to ride the train system to the connecting flights and even to the main terminal to pick up your car/bus/taxi etc. This means that you have to got through security. In turn this means you are subject to the 100ml fluids rule so any duty free you bought on the flight across the Atlantic gets confiscated. The trick is to put the duty free back into your check baggage before you let go of it (no choice, even if ATL is your final destination) but, I'm not sure I'd want fluids bouncing around in my checked baggage for a connecting flight.

derekl
17th Feb 2008, 01:15
I'm a regular through SFO from LHR. I wouldn't consider flying other than BA or Virgin directly. BA have two flights per day, Virgin have one. Both are great airlines. The only other direct flight is United.

I used to fly BA all the time until they took away my "lifetime" Silver card. I switched to Virgin -- who have never given me a free upgrade, but I have flown their Premium Economy for £500 return on one occasion and it was excellent value.

My advice: book early for May.

nivsy
17th Feb 2008, 13:07
Thanks for the comments. Have been a few times long haul with BA and while down the back of the a/c the service has been reasonable although nothing special. Its just that out of the pick of the bunch BA for my dates are (as of yesterday) over 100 pounds more expensive than the US carriers. So I guess BA havew no problems in filling their seats for one (perhaps unlike Delta).

Nivsy.

Atlantean1963
19th Feb 2008, 17:00
Spent some time last year commuting between RIC and SLC via ATL. ATL-SLC leg normally a 767 (4 hours flight, so just about long-haul...).

Generally tired cabins, but good crews. Best economy seats were in the "front" economy cabin - rows 11 & 12 on the RH side have particularly good leg room. But take your iPod...

Best Regards,

Atlantean

nivsy
20th Feb 2008, 17:29
I have decided to give Delta and USA a miss as have found Singapore and Malaysia much more appealing at a cheaper cost - now do I need to start a new thread on the "pleasures" of Malaysian airlines. :p Just to add spice - routing from FRA - KUL - SIN - FRA. I am assume they will be bit better than Delta on the 777's.

Nivsy