PDA

View Full Version : UK Apache question

Agaricus bisporus
16th Feb 2008, 12:42
I live close to a low level helicopter route - presumably a navex route and regularly see all sorts of helos on - (or near) it. It always seems that the Apaches are travelling a great deal slower than the others - something I have noticed whenever I've seen them, even at medium level.

Are they operated at slower speeds than other types - if so why?

Thelma Viaduct
16th Feb 2008, 13:52
Army pilots can't think as fast as RAF pilots, so they have to fly a bit slower. :rolleyes:

vortexadminman
16th Feb 2008, 14:23
No Army pilots think better than crab ones ....... slower = more time in log book!!!!

owe ver chute
16th Feb 2008, 15:36
At various times the pilots will fly by day, but using the night system, the pilots call it "the bag". It is V hard to master, and given they are in training, they'll be working their socks off. Might just be what you're watching.:ok:

Agaricus bisporus
16th Feb 2008, 20:52
Har har.

This isn't a Pongo bashing post, it is a real question as written. Whenever I see the mighty Apache on patrol he seems to be going so so slow. I'm a long time helo pilot, I can see when speed is there or not, and these fellas seem to be tooling around at 80Kts or so. Am I wrong? maybe its a tactical tank-splatting thing - I dunno - Just asking from curiosity.

HEDP
16th Feb 2008, 21:55
Might be that if they are on a tactical exercise that they are flying at min fuel consumption speed so they can spend as much time as possible doing what they do best!

Occasional Aviator
16th Feb 2008, 21:57
The Apache is a slow helicopter. I think they can do a bit better than the 80kn you suggest, but as for keeping up with anything newer than a Sea King, particularly when they're "tooled up", you can forget it. A very capable weapon system in many ways, but as an old friend told me once, you can think of it as a Wessex on steroids!

RAFEmployee
16th Feb 2008, 22:38
There slow, chinooks will out run them so for sure slower than 160 knts

Occasional Aviator
16th Feb 2008, 22:49
how would you know? At 160kn in a Chinook, your eyeballs would be shaken into such a state that you'd never see whether the AH was with you or not. Plus, no-one really knows whether they can actually go that fast, as the instrument panel is vibrating so much.

wokawoka
16th Feb 2008, 23:39
I could the instrument panel fine on Friday. So I can vouch for the Vne of 160 Kts on the mighty woka.

+SHRA
17th Feb 2008, 13:03
Well there is a surprise, an interesting and serious question, which results in some pertinent answers. Only to be hijacked by some Chinook chopper trying to provoke a 'my d*cks bigger than yours' contest.
I especially like the bit where you let everybody know that you fly in 'the mighty wokka' and therefore must be mighty as well. (Well apart from the written word!)

I saw a truck on the motorway the other day doing at least 80mph so that must be better than the tank I saw on the range doing 60mph. Another useful comparison :ugh:

wokawoka
17th Feb 2008, 14:35
No mate I was only replying to a post saying the woka would never reach 160 kts. I could have commented on the speed of the Apache and the tectical implictations it presents in theatre and possibly given some information which I certainly do not want my enemy to know about. :ugh: So I chose to answer another query in the thread instead.
Tell me what your post bought to the discussion apart from making you sound like a right tw*t?

And to come back on the post, we thought speed may be an issue at the start in 2006 but we quickly realised: **** the speed, it's has got big guns.
I would not operate without them, whatever speed they do. Plus all the AAC guys are top blokes and provide friendly RAF/AAC banter.

Caspian237
17th Feb 2008, 15:07
What sort additions are on the Westland Apache to qualify them as 'navalized' over the US army helicopters?

BluntM8
17th Feb 2008, 17:02
Sails. Gin and Tonic. Frequent cocktail parties. An anchor to replace a parking brake....

Occasional Aviator
17th Feb 2008, 20:37
mere banter, me old chum. I did not say, or mean to imply, that the Chinook can't make 160kn. I am merely hinting that there may be more comfortable, newer helicopters in which to travel at such speeds. And yes, I have flown in both, so I can vouch for this too.