PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 - Hearing

sp33dfr33k
16th Feb 2008, 09:37
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find a complete answer from my searches.

I have recently got my Class 1 medical certificate and I passed the hearing test. I am really chuffed about this but also concerned about passing the hearing test again in the future. My worries are based on previous hearing test results coming in below the mark. I have been offered a place at a school to do my ATPL but am worried about the huge time / cost investment if I don't pass the same hearing test in 5 years and lose my licence.

My main question is really whether renewal standards for hearing are lower than initial standards and whether a functional hearing test can be used to pass this section of the medical. I have very good hearing in one ear but reduced hearing in the other. As I say, I already have a Class 1 but am concerned about passing it in the future and what the implications might be.

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing your responses.

waveydavey
16th Feb 2008, 09:52
This explains the process of assessing any concerns over hearing..
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=533

sp33dfr33k
16th Feb 2008, 10:35
Many thanks wavey davey. There are still some grey areas in the wording but this is a big help. Goes a little way to relieving my nerves!

One more Q. Is it acceptable to have the headset on at all times? Would this be the way that a test would be carried out under 'normal conditions'. I have heard that the headset is often worn on one ear and communication in the cockpit is done with the uncovered ear. Because one of my ears is better than the other I would prefer to have the headset covering both ears at all times.

Big thanks again.

Hufty
16th Feb 2008, 18:53
On some noisy types communication is only possible wearing headsets and using the intercom. On quieter types, you will have one ear uncovered (the one nearest to your colleage) and will more than likely not use the intercom as you will be expected to be able to hear the other person. If you can't then you're going to get some strange looks asking to use the intercom all the time.

Your hearing may be bad or you may just have some temporary hearing loss. If you have had a recent cold or suffer from cattarrh then it is posibe they you hearing is better than you think, just reduced by some gunk in your tubes??