PDA

View Full Version : laptop slow to start

windy1
15th Feb 2008, 20:18
Takes a full 15 mins for my 4 year old Samsung laptop to stabilise with the XP desktop. It is little used and does not contain much in the way of programmes.

I've done defrag, XP updates, virus scan and nothing untoward. Been through the start-up list and knocked off those I don't recognise. Once its up and stable, it is a bit quicker to open an application etc.

Is there any software to check my hard drive is working at the correct speed, or to identify for any other bottlenecks?

E.Z. Flyer
15th Feb 2008, 21:50
How much memory is onboard?

The link below will scan your memory configuration.
You might want to install as much memory as can be installed.
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/ (http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/)

You can also right click on the task bar and look at the "Task Manager" in order to compare (how memory is allocated) "Commit charge." If, Peak exceeds Total, the difference will give you an estimation of your systems actual memory requirements based on the programs initialized during start-up.

Are you familiar with Windows One care?

It's excellent.

"Fix specific PC issues
Use the full service scan to check everything. To help fix particular problems on your PC, turn to the individual scanners below"

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm (http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm)

Ø The scan will remove any unnecessary "registry" or system files that are also using system resources. However, it does take a long while for it to scan the system. McAfee also has a system maintenance routine that accomplishes the same thing.

>> When or during system start-up you’ll notice on the lower task bar, on the far right-hand side, icons that represent the programs that are being initialized during start-up. To begin with, right click on the icons of the programs you are not going to use, and “close” them. If you look again in the Task Manager, you’ll now see that more memory is available.

Most programs have an option that allows you to choose whether or not it should start when the system is first booted up.

If you look in the Start>“Help and Support Center” file, a rather detailed overview and explanation can be utilized through the “Pick a Task” menu options. Specifically, > Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems, by opening the >system configuration file, it allows you to program/select which programs should run when the system is first turned on. i.e. QuickTime Player, Real Player, do not need to run in the background, until manually launched. Windows Office can also launch as can AOL, and those programs require system resources which slow the system down as more and more “Virtual Memory” is required.

It is the swapping of information between the physical “memory stick” and the Hard Drive which causes the system to run for what seems like fifteen minutes each time it is cold booted, because physical memory space is exceeded and virtual memory is created on the Hard Drive to supplement the total memory deficit.

Stand-by mode will always reduce the start-up time.

Also, schedule a scan check. If was not not performed it can fix drive errors. Goto >C drive>right click>properties>Tools>Scan Check

That's a good point (see below) about "unnecessary processes" running

cthelper.exe if it's running all the time will stop the machine in its tracks.

>Task Manager>Processes>Click CPU or Memory Processes

cthelper.exe will absorb CPU time

However, google cthelper.exe before highlighting it in order to execute the >"End Process" command

You might have to run an Office update if MS Office is installed.

hellsbrink
15th Feb 2008, 22:02
chances are there are a lot of "unnecessary processes" running which use up processor power. That slows things down but you have to find out what thet are.....

Keef
16th Feb 2008, 12:20
I got my laptop starting and shutting down a lot quicker by turning off a variety of processes that weren't needed. One of the worst "time hogs" was iTunes.

Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Services.
It gives a brief explanation of what most of the services do, and the implications of shutting them down.

windy1
20th Feb 2008, 15:34
Thanks Keef, that fixed it.

The main slowdown was Virgin's PC Guard Anti everything. I took it out the start menu so I can activate it when I want, so as to avoid massive mobile data bills from Vodafone. Yes I know there is a risk but I shall update the virus files manually when I am at home online just before travelling.

This brings me to the general point that every damn thing on the puter now wants to go online regardless of whether it is convenient and affordable. My logitech webcam goes looking for updates, likewise Adobe, Nero, Real Player, etc. I don't mind this for windows security fixes but I resent everything else yakking on tinternet just whenever it feels like it.

green granite
20th Feb 2008, 15:49
but I resent everything else yakking on tinternet just whenever it feels like it

Most firewalls have a utility where you can allow or forbid programs to access the net, just find out where it is and block the ones you don't want to go on line.

Pontius Navigator
20th Feb 2008, 19:38
Most firewalls have a utility where you can allow or forbid programs to access the net, just find out where it is and block the ones you don't want to go on line.

GG, very true however the update module is still running to even less effect. It is true it will no longer hog internet bandwidth but it will still steal processor capacity.

E.Z.Flyer's first question was mine too. A 4-yr old laptop could well have only 512k or even 256k RAM with 32 or 64 shared for video.

My 2 year old had 256k. I added 1 Meg, I was able to run the video at 64k and this means my Pagefile is rarely half full and I have a good head of RAM available. Most importantly it cut a full 40 seconds from my boot sequence.

The other way to save boot time is to use Hibernate or Sleep when you close the laptop lid. Sleep stores your RAM image and uses power. Hibernate writes the image to disk and does not use power. IMO they time differnce is negligible.

windy1
21st Feb 2008, 19:25
EZF and GG

Fair point about the memory - its only 256k. However, I felt that I hadn't added any really hungry programs since I bought it. Memory being the price it is, I'll stick in another wodge anyway.

Pontius Navigator
21st Feb 2008, 19:30
Windy I think I got my memory from Crucial. They ensured I got the right stick and their website FAQ sorted on a problem of my own making.

It is worth delving in the laptop first to ensure you know what is there already. I just added 1Gb to my 256Mb. Knowing the effect next time I would ditch the 256 and go for 2 x 1Gb. You can't have too much memory (well you can if your computer can't handle it) but it has a dramatic effect on page file usage.

twiggs
22nd Feb 2008, 02:53
Here is an article on the subject that might also be useful
http://www.pcmech.com/article/how-to-make-windows-start-faster/