PDA

View Full Version : Javelin Broadband - Marham

SirToppamHat
15th Feb 2008, 08:37
At my stn, we have been promised that wireless broadband will soon be available for all. Apparently, it is to be installed by this company:

Javelin Broadband Home Page (http://secure.javelinbroadband.net/introduction.htm)

I believe they are already providing a service at Marham, but emails asking for info about how it will work here go unanswered (this does not bode well for the future!). Does anyone at Marham (or anywhere else for that matter)have any actual experience of the service? Costs? Bandwidth delivered?

We were originally told it would be about £17 per mth for about 500kbps connection, but this is distinctly unattractive compared with other deals available.

Don't get me wrong, the idea is sound - it should mean that people in SLA can access it without having to cough-up for a phone line, which most of the 'mobile' generation seem to have no need for.

Any feedback much appreciated.

STH

ORAC
15th Feb 2008, 09:19
AARSE thread on the subject (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=41523/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=30.html), last post, from August 2007, might answer your question....

ShakeyBaby
15th Feb 2008, 09:27
Javlin : A long pointy thing thats only use in life is to be thrown as far away as possible!

Javlin Broadband : See above ^^

Used it at Marham for a few months. ALL P2P is blocked, unless you can figure out how to by pass the port blocking. Tried many times with no success. If all you want is a unstable, slow, restricted, and exspensive service then go ahed. Otherwise dip your hand into your pocket and pay £140 to get a phoneline installed and have what you want, when you want it :o) :8

Melchett01
15th Feb 2008, 11:12
I am aware of the alleged existance of Javelin Broadband, but as yet have yet to meet anybody actually using it.

I did have the same issue when I recently arrived at my new unit - short period in the Mess whilst I move Melchett HQ outside the wire, no phone line in the room and a request from BT for £125 to even bat an eyelid.

Instead I ended up going with one of these mobile broadband packages you can now get from the likes of 3, T-Mobile etc. Found it to be very good value - I pay £15/month for 3Gb download limit, but running at 3.6Mbps, which is a damn sight faster than the sub-500Kb speeds I had at my last unit using a BT landline. Don't wish to be seen to be advertising, but I am with '3' and according to their coverage checker I shouldn't even be able to get it where I am, let alone the 3.6Mbps service that I currently receive.

I would seriously consider giving mobile broadband a look - you won't be tied to a BT line, it looks considerably faster than Javelin and the best thing is if you have a laptop, you can take it with you wherever you go (including OOA, abroad etc) as long as you can get 3G coverage.

L1A2 discharged
15th Feb 2008, 13:51
Go mobile, as said above. £20 monthly unlimited traffic (carphone wharehouse) [*other outlets are available:}]. 54Mbits speed as long as the signal is ok.
Probly binning the landline at the end of the contract as its so good.

PPRuNeUser0211
15th Feb 2008, 19:47
L1A2, can you PM me a link to your contract? Had a quick shufti and can't find it...

ps Javelin are sub-optimal!

Dan D'air
16th Feb 2008, 08:19
Sir TH,

iPhone. Its the way forward, Only half as much again as having a BT line installed and you can use it all over the world. I have only had mine for a week and its changed my life.

Satellite_Driver
16th Feb 2008, 20:32
Re Dan D'Air @7, the iPhone is indeed the Mutt's Nuts, but the Bluetooth connectivity is deliberately crippled so that you can't use it as a modem for a laptop. Of course, it depends what you use it for - I find it great for general web browsing and checking mail, but I avoid using it for more than short emails because of the limitations of its virtual keyboard.

SirToppamHat
16th Feb 2008, 21:45
Thanks for the feedback guys. The website has the prices now (didn't when I originally looked):

Monthly £15
Weekly £10
Daily £5

I was mainly interested in the actual rates achieved. I am well aware of the alternatives. The guys in the blocks have been asking for this sort of thing at each of my last 3 units, but I suspect that low speeds of connection, download limits and blocks on P2P will mean this is a scheme destined for less than significant take-up.

When I first arrived here, I was in the Mess for a couple of mths and shared someone else's wireless (yes I contributed towards the cost!), but the requirement in FQs is often to have several machines connected to a wireless router (during the school hols at least). I am not sure the Javelin scheme will support this.

The thing is, the telephone line bandwidth here is so cr@p that if they can't make it work here it won't work anywhere.

STH

Junta Leader
17th Feb 2008, 08:17
Javelin Broadband??? :ugh::ugh::ugh: Don't do it. This started a while ago at a little airbase near the A1 in Yorkshire. It's very expensive for unreliable broadband giving 0.5 Meg at best!

IMHO, far better to get one of the new mobile phone company USB 'dongles'. The speed on these things varies a bit but it's only £10 per month (giving more than enough for most needs) and it can be used all over the UK.

JL

Dan D'air
17th Feb 2008, 10:28
Sat Driver,

My iPhone is now on Vodaphone with the Bluetooth enabled. All it took was a little browsing and a very helpful Californian. Please feel free to PM if you would like to know more!!

PS. Have discovered that chopsticks make an ideal pointer for the keypad!

Cheers, DD.

ALock
21st Feb 2008, 19:45
OK - call aproduct Javelin, Vulcan, Tornado etc. Sort of synergy with the decision makers don't you think. Does it work, who cares, I love the name. ;)

just another jocky
13th Mar 2015, 19:17
Old thread but having had a good service from Javelin, I now need to cancel my agreement with them but the javelinbroadband.net domain name does not lead to them.

Anyone know how I can cancel the agreement?

downsizer
13th Mar 2015, 19:35
does this help? Javelinbroadband.net (http://www.javelinbroadband.net/shop)

Stuff
13th Mar 2015, 21:52
JAJ, it looks like Javelin let their domain name expire on 9 Mar and only fixed it this morning (13 Mar). It will take some time for the updated DNS entry to cascade across the internet. I guess that's why Downsizer sees a working link yet I see a page that simply says, "This Domain Name Has Expired - Renewal Instructions."

If you get no luck tomorrow then have a look here JavelinBroadband.net WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools (http://whois.domaintools.com/javelinbroadband.net) and give Mr STREATFIELD a ring.

I'm not going to directly post his contact details to save him from the spambots.

just another jocky
14th Mar 2015, 12:58
Thank you guys.

Roadster280
14th Mar 2015, 17:59
I know/knew the old CTO there.

The name was nothing to do with aircraft. It was because the company started at Elmpt (ex-Brüggen), Javelin Barracks; so named because of its accommodation of ARRC units. ARRC retained the 1 (BR) Corps javelin emblem on formation.

Lord knows where Neil is now, but he's no longer with JB. The only person I've ever known to keep snakes and iguanas as pets.