PDA

View Full Version : Infrastructure link vital to aviation: Albanese

PlankBlender
15th Feb 2008, 02:24
Encouraging?! Time to appoint a junior minister, I say! :ok:

From The Australian, today:

NEW Transport Minister Anthony Albanese has moved to reassure the industry that aviation will not be lost in his expanded portfolio.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5889688,00.jpg
Transport Minister Anthony Albanese said aviation would not be overlooked in his expanded portfolio. Picture: Gary Ramage

Mr Albanese has added infrastructure to transport and regional affairs and presides over a bigger empire than his National Party predecessors.
Aviation would not be overlooked in the bigger mix, he said.
"In an increasingly globalised world, aviation has a critical role in our economic and social engagement with the international community," he said.

Mr Albanese views the addition of infrastructure as "extremely positive". He said it was clear, from his time as opposition spokesman, that infrastructure needed to join the big-spending and planning portfolios of transport and regional development.

The move would boost the way the economic importance of aviation was viewed, he said.

"It's no accident that we've put the issues of transport, regional development and local government together with infrastructure," he said.
"It's very much an economic portfolio that requires a coherent approach to infrastructure development and we've got a plan through Infrastructure Australia to do that.
"Transport and aviation can't be delinked from overall infrastructure and productivity issues, and in creating the new department, I think we've very much got the links right."

Mr Albanese is no stranger to aviation matters. He worked with the House of Representatives transport committee from 1996 to 1998 and the proximity of Sydney Airport to his inner-city electorate has raised a number of issues.

Mr Albanese lost no time rapping Sydney Airport over the knuckles for its lack of consultation on modifications to the east-west runway.

These had been expected to create more noise for inner-Sydney suburbs this year as well as disruptions and travellers.

He also re-energised the Sydney Airport Community Forum under former South Sydney mayor Vic Smith to improve community feedback on airport issues.

It was still Labor policy to establish a second Sydney Airport, but he was not among those calling for the existing airport to be closed, Mr Albanese said.

"I've always been, on Sydney Airport, someone who has had a rational response to the airport that acknowledged its important role in the local and national economy," he said.

But he said it must also be "acknowledged that economic infrastructure must coexist with the communities around them".

Sydney Airport was the biggest employer in his electorate and an important economic entity for the nation.

His dealings with the airport, which began on the Sydney Airport Community Consultative Committee before he entered Parliament, had improved his knowledge of how big airports work, he said.

"I have a long-term interest in aviation and transport issues, which has been, I think, of great assistance in getting on top of the brief," he said.

On wider aviation issues, the new minister said there was a need for government policy to reflect a long-term approach across the aviation sector.

This should include small players as well as big operators, he said.

He had already had discussions with individual operators of small aircraft and helicopters to get their views and input.

The Rudd Government wanted to have a considered approach to policy development and reform, Mr Albanese said.

"We'll take the time to get on top of all the details, to consult widely and to produce better outcomes than if we, on day one, had rushed in," he said.

"A considered reformist government is the underlying principle, and my view is that has been welcomed.

"People involved in the aviation industry have been keen to present their different perspectives on the future of the aviation industry.

"We need to make sure that we establish processes in which they are encouraged to do that, so their input is facilitated.

"I think that is respected."

Icarus2001
15th Feb 2008, 03:51
Well here is an idea. Build a large international airport half way roughly between Sydney and Canberra with a HIGH SPEED rail link to both cities. Travel time by rail to either city would be around 25-30 minutes.

Cannot be done? Have a look at KLIA and Kuala Lumpur, driverless trains and 30 minutes to the city centre by rail.

mrpaxing
15th Feb 2008, 04:04
shanghai where the train takes aroung 10 minutes at 400km/h+downtown:ok:

Capt Wally
15th Feb 2008, 04:59
.......yeah you guys don't encourage the boffins that think they control the country with ideas of driverless trains, you know where that will lead to next!:bored: Sheeeez to give the pollies & their cronies at the top end of business more amunition to kill off the rich & famous(us pilots) is the last thing we need !

CW:ok:

Lasiorhinus
15th Feb 2008, 05:19
Same idea then, but let's use driverful trains.

Capt_SNAFU
15th Feb 2008, 07:07
Problem that a high speed rail link is that, how many people can travel into the city (central I would presume would be the target) with bags and stuff on public transport as is??

The other alternative is that you build the station next to a massive car park. Problem is where abouts do you have that amount of space available?

shadowoneau
15th Feb 2008, 08:30
Problem that a high speed rail link is that, how many people can travel into the city (central I would presume would be the target) with bags and stuff on public transport as is??

The Brits/French seem to manage a fast train + lots of passengers + bags on the chunnel train..

PlankBlender
15th Feb 2008, 10:01
The best airport link in London is from Heathrow to Paddington Station: 15 minutes, direct link from the airport terminal to the rail station, elevators all the way down, special baggage space on the spacious trains, it works like a treat, I used to take it weekly for a while and it beats sitting in the always-on London traffic jam hands down! :ok:

Great idea with the high speed trains and an airport in the middle of nowhere, that could really make a difference for the transport infrastructure in this country! :D

chimbu warrior
15th Feb 2008, 10:44
What the pollies really need to know is :

aviation in Australia is not just Qantas
there is more to Australia (lots more) than just Sydney and Canberra
aviation is not just about tourism

Make sure your local member advises the Minister of the importance of aviation to his/her electorate.