PDA

View Full Version : Printing Club membership cards from Access... any suggestions?

Binoculars
14th Feb 2008, 11:45
I run the local aero club membership database. We haven't provided members with cards for several years because we never had any money and it was just too hard. This year I want to provide every member with a card with basic details on; Club name and logo, member name, membership number, financial until 20xx.

Although our membership is only around 260, I don't want to have to set up a Word table, input each member's details individually, print it out, laminate it, guillotine each card and post them. I haven't yet asked the printing companies around town what they can do, because I thought there must surely be some sort of software that can automate the details from Access, which doesn't seem particularly interested in helping from what I can see. It directs me to MS Online which provides what appears to be an incredibly cumbersome program that streamlines the process not at all.

So naturally I thought I'd consult the Pprune gurus. All ideas welcomed.

captainspeaking2U
14th Feb 2008, 12:05
If your data is stored in MS Access, use MS Word mail merge function, select data from Access tables, and then use mail merge to make labels which can be of any size you wish.
regards
CS

Binoculars
14th Feb 2008, 12:19
Thank you. I see possibilities there, but how to go about putting the name of the club, let alone the logo on the label?

(I am an Access novice, as if you couldn't tell).

stickyb
14th Feb 2008, 12:30
Easiest by far is to do it all in access.

Design the card layout you want with logo and any other static information in your favourite graphics program. Save it as a .jpg ot .bmp file.

in access set up a printed report the same size as the memebrship card, and use the .jpg or .bmp as background to the report. Now put on the top of the background any6 non static information such as name, date, etc.

print out on a colour inket and laminate.

Saab Dastard
14th Feb 2008, 13:49
If you are uncomfortable working with Access, you can do it all in Word. Obviously you will need to export the required info from Access into a file for Word to use as a source for the mail merge. Or access the info directly from the Access DB, depending on your comfort level.

But you might find it easier to set up the Word output file with graphics etc than with Access.

SD

Binoculars
14th Feb 2008, 13:53
OK, so an Access report used as the source for a Word Mail Merge will mean I don't have to input each member's details individually? If so I will put in the necessary work to figure out how it all happens.

gizmocat
14th Feb 2008, 13:54
Is the database flat-file or relational ?

Binoculars
14th Feb 2008, 14:19
Getting a bit out of my league, but I think from the reaction of the designer who is horrified at what I've done to it, flat file may be the answer. I want only financial members to appear on the list so I freely delete records and reassign membership numbers from year to year.

This is apparently a heinous crime.

gizmocat
14th Feb 2008, 20:17
AAaarrrrggghhh !!! :eek: Truly heinous := :)

Do you have a copy of M$ Publisher ?

Binoculars
16th Feb 2008, 14:57
Sorry for delay, been rather consumed by flooding issues. Yes, I have Publisher.

Tinstaafl
17th Feb 2008, 05:08
Use Word & Access together in a relatively simple way:

In Word:

Make a document formatted to use one of the common label sizes. There is commercally available label stock sized for membership cards.

In this Word doc. place the common items that you want to appear on every card in a header or footer. You don't *have* to use a header or footer but it automates having those items on every card.

In the rest of the document place merge codes that link to the relevent membership database fields stored in Access 'Current Members' database.

In Access:

Make a database with the different data fields you want. Use the Design View to do this - it's easier. Allow Access to set a primary key on a self incrementing numerical field. This will also be each person's membership number & will be unique. You can label the field the membership number if you wish.

Include a yes/no field that is for membership currency.

Prior to printing search the database for all records that match 'Yes' in their membershp currency field. Save that as the 'Current members' database**

Back in Word:

Have it import the data from the 'Current Members' database & then print the result.

If you take advantage of Access' ability to make an input data form from the fields you've already established in the database yiou will have a reasonably quick way to get the data into the database. zy

**Note: It's been a long time since I've used Access but you should also be able to export the search result from Access into a Word document without having to save to a new database first. I just used that method in this example because it will definitely work.

stickyb
17th Feb 2008, 10:46
Have you ever tried making a printed report in access? it would be easier than the methods described so far.
Which version of access do you have?

Binoculars
17th Feb 2008, 11:40
I have Office 2003. I have just managed to create printed reports of a very simple nature, but nothing like requiring club logo with "self-incrementing numerical fields" etc .

It's becoming fairly clear that some tuition in Access is required. I wasn't kidding about being a novice, and some of the advice given by the likes of tinstaafl is probably spot on but way over my head.

My amendments to the database that so horrified its designer may well have removed the possibility of achieving what I want to here. C'est la vie.

I'll concentrate on getting the flood-ruined carpets and office equipment replaced then come back to it. Thank you to all respondents; I'm sure the advice is good, it's just my level of understanding that is not up to scratch.

But if the person who mentioned Publisher has any ideas on that score my 14 year old daughter may be able to help!

gizmocat
18th Feb 2008, 09:03
Binos, check PM's

Bests
Giz