PDA

View Full Version : Running progs for XP on Vista!!!!!

PPRuNe Pop
14th Feb 2008, 10:03
Friend of mine bought a new Dell machine. Very nice too, but he got stuck loading three golf games and asked me to have a look. First obvious point was that the games were XP or below:ugh: As he now had Vista this is why they wouldn't load. Then a thought occured to me.

This must be happening time and again to innocent new computer owners.

Can anything be done - have MS addressed this?

BOAC
14th Feb 2008, 10:34
You are 'avin' a larf, Pop! I hear MS are bringing forward the release of 'Windows 7' or whatever it is to be called due to the ocean-going disaster of Vista. Just so glad I specified XP from Dell!

Saab Dastard
14th Feb 2008, 10:35
There may be a "compatability mode" for such games, as Win2k and XP introduced for games designed for earlier OS's.

However, if they are MS games, then I'm sure MS has addressed this by bringing out Vista versions of the same titles.

I'm sure there is a 5% discount for existing owners :yuk:

SD

Parapunter
14th Feb 2008, 10:36
Try loading on the files to wherever you want or exploring the game cd & from there find the executable file and right click & choose properties, then the compatibility tab & choose run as xp sp2. Oh and I continue to fins Vista a joy & a delight lol.

PPRuNe Pop
14th Feb 2008, 10:57
They are EA games and I suspect they may be a bit old. I didn't look!

But.........it raises issues that MS apprently don't much care about. I tried MS but even with many different advanced searches nothing showed.

However, I will try the ideas suggested.

hellsbrink
14th Feb 2008, 11:58
Have you looked at the EA site for updates to the games? Quite a few games have had Vista patches released, and also the forums there can be a fountain of knowledge.

You do have the "compatibility mode" option, but that doesn't always work. It may be that you just won't get them to run, and it ain't the first time that has happened as I do remember issues with some games when XP came out.

gizmocat
14th Feb 2008, 13:59
Find the actual .exe file, right-click then select "properties" from the menu. When the pop-up appears, select the "Compatability" tab and play around with the options there.

(Not trying to teach you to suck eggs here)

Bests
Giz

Parapunter
14th Feb 2008, 14:07
Gizmo - good advice, spot on!!:}

PPRuNe Pop
14th Feb 2008, 14:44
Haven't had the opportunity to do that gismo but I will.

Thanks

PPP

Parapunter
14th Feb 2008, 15:10
I wonder why I bother:ugh::p

gizmocat
14th Feb 2008, 20:22
Para, I appologise for being senile and not reading all the post's fully, a practice I personally abhor.

Guilty as charged :)

Saab Dastard
14th Feb 2008, 21:19
gizmocat,

You are hereby sentenced to the archives for 7 days.

:p:p

SD

gizmocat
14th Feb 2008, 22:35
:ok: Roger that, I shall serve my sentence with alacrity, and in the good manner of airborn (sic) community :)

Parapunter
15th Feb 2008, 07:04
*Chuckles* RTFM or what??:p:p