PDA

View Full Version : jag/hawk engine components help really needed

dan498
14th Feb 2008, 09:27
For an exam question in collage i have to compare two aircrafts (jag and hawk) exhaust components. i no the jag has re-heat and a long pipe and the hawk dosent but other than that i havent got a clue, any help with this would be awsome :ok:

sumps
14th Feb 2008, 09:45
Can you be more specific about the question?

For general information on the tow types of Adour engine try clicking this link (http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)and asking a question on the E-goat where there are lots of Jag/Hawk types who could answer your question more specifically.
The link takes you to an area designed for this type of question specifically the shop floor and Techies in particular. If you get no joy from that then you could try surfing through to the camp specific forums and asking the same question on the RAF Cloltishall (Jags) link.

Regard sumps

dan498
15th Feb 2008, 10:55
yer thats littarly the question "describe the jar and hawk exhasut components and compare them basicaly" its quit a good question just i cant find much info on it. ill have a click on that link now.
dan

Edgar Jessop
23rd Feb 2008, 12:34
Both are the Adour engine and the difference as you say is one has afterburning and the other does not. Unless they want something really specific you're probably best off explaining the difference in fairly generic terms, covering among other things nozzle control systems, fuel systems, flameholders and ignition methods.

Krystal n chips
23rd Feb 2008, 13:04
Please allow me to shatter your expectations here.....and not in nice way..an object lesson if you like which you may care to learn from.

Advice, help and support are freely offered by many on here to valid queries....however...in your case it would appear that, like many of your generation, you lack the ability and discipline to actively research the question topic and present your findings based on...and here comes the crucial bit....your own work and efforts

I say the above because it appears that you are too lazy to actually do the basic research, so have decided to post a query on here in the hope that others, will in effect, do the work for you....and you can thus present it to the teacher / tutor with glowing pride.

This is not a personal dig by the way...you are but one representative of many who simply lack the discipline required....and cannot or will not understand that this concept is a basic requirement to study...as you have been spoon fed by an education system now dedicated to meeting targets and convincing pupils they are educated and have a right to pass exams...irrespective of whether they know the subject or not.

mono
23rd Feb 2008, 14:10
From Dan

yer thats littarly the question "describe the jar and hawk exhasut components and compare them basicaly" its quit a good question just i cant find much info on it. ill have a click on that link now.

From Krystal

as you have been spoon fed by an education system now dedicated to meeting targets and convincing pupils they are educated and have a right to pass exams...irrespective of whether they know the subject or not.

Or even whether they can spell!!! :ugh:

Krystal n chips
23rd Feb 2008, 14:59
Mono,

He's probably destined for a leading role in Tech services....or Planning..... with his standard of English. ;):E

Truck2005
25th Feb 2008, 19:41
Well, apart from all the helpful replies you have had here you would not go very far amiss by purchasing the definitive Gas turbine book here:

http://www.rolls-royce.com/history/publications/jet_engine/default.htm

I have kept up to date using each edition over the years, well worth the money and written in a way most students of engineering could understand.

Edgar Jessop
14th Mar 2008, 11:54
Krystal, I take your point though I feel you are being somewhat harsh on the young man. He asked for advice, and some of us tried to provide it rather than simply shoot him down in flames. As you will note he was not spoon fed anything of significance but was referred to more authoritative sources. The internet is a valuable source of experience and reference material (with the caveat that most of it is not subject to the same stringent tests of accuracy as a textbook). To take a case in point the online encyclopedia Wikipedia has been repeatedly tested and found to be very accurate in the facts it presents, due to the system of peer review it receives. So a search of facts and the experience of others from sources on the internet should not be disregarded, indeed should take a place alongside more conventional "desk research".

dan498
3rd Jan 2012, 10:12
Totally forgot about this post! Prime example of why pprune is a good training aid/source of info and a place for total :mad: to have a pop! Cheers for the tidy replies

NutLoose
3rd Jan 2012, 12:42
I was just about to post the differences until I realised the original date.... Ex Jag Sooty.

Krystal n chips
3rd Jan 2012, 13:19
" Totally forgot about this post!"

Which speaks volumes in itself...... given that it's only been nearly four years.

The burning question however.

Did you ever actually complete the question and produce the relevant answers....using, a minor detail here, the results of your own study and research and if so, do you have a bibliography of the relevant sources at at all please.

Just curious.

dan498
4th Jan 2012, 16:06
yes i did, couldn't remember where i found the info from as it was years ago and no i can't provide it but i must have done okay as I'm working in the industry.

I am curious, how did you learn then? Because I'm pretty sure you didn't wake up and know the answers?

I would argue going to the library and reading books, (which i spent a lot of time doing then and now) is exactly the same as asking a question to industry experts on the web. Am i not allowed to use books as a source of info as i didn't take the time or effort to produce and publish the book?

At the end of the day knowledge is NO good unless you can't pass it on. Your post was useless! please refrain for similar posts as it hasn't really helped anyone bar you and your ego.

cheers

NutLoose
5th Jan 2012, 16:40
I was taught by the RAF but self studied through my licences on my own, know where you are coming from, that is why I would have helped with the Adour question

coldbuffer
10th Jan 2012, 12:10
Dan498

Glad you passed your exams, and your spelling has improved :ok:

Alber Ratman
12th Jan 2012, 11:02
Sorry Dan, I never saw this post years ago to help you. Hopefully your college project research would have taught you all about vapour gutters, catylitic igniters, reheat fuel control units and fuel pressure operated variable nozzle actuators.. Totally irrevent in Civvy street as no afterburning CAT aircraft on the civvy register anymore and there wasn't when you did your project!