PDA

View Full Version : Virus in Sinuses causing dizziness ?

stilton
14th Feb 2008, 06:47
I have had sinus problems for years, having my nose broken 3 times probably does not help, my ENT also tells me I have a hole in my septum but that is irrelevant to my condition.

For the last 3 weeks after noticing a feeling of congestion, I started to experience, lightheadedness and dizzy spells, usually while walking, sometimes when sitting.

Have already taken 2 different courses of antibiotics but told these are ineffective with a virus.

I still have the sensation of sinus blockage and have received 2 different opinions.

I have taken blood pressure medicine for some years and my GP tells me I should halve the dose as this could be contributing.

My Ent tells me I probably have a virus in my sinuses causing inner ear, thus balance problems and all i can do is wait for it to go away, there is nothing he can prescribe.

I was not convinced about my b pressure being low as the lowest I have seen (standing) was 100/56 but this varies greatly.

Any ideas, similar experiences ?

N1 Vibes
14th Feb 2008, 07:36
Hi Stilton,

occassionally have sinus blockage/infection issues, also broken noe/sceptum etc. But, one time had a 3 week headache that all painkillers failed to touch. Works nurse recommended that it was sinus infection/blockage causing pressure. His advice was to find a liquid decongestant like the 'Vicks' bottle spray (squeeze the bottle and it atomizes into the nose. Use the normal 2 squirts or whatever the bottle recomends. Then, lie on a bed and allow your head to hang over the end, i.e. so the liquid can 'run' up inside the nose and directly affect the sinus, this will sting like buggery. Then after a few minutes sit up and if all goes well the Vicks will act directly on whatever is 'blocking' the exit of the sinus and start to clear it (whereas atomising up into the nose in the normal way, most of the liquid hits the inside of the nostril and runs out again, this way you get a direct hit on the sinus) and hopefully you will feel the effect almost immediately.

My 3 week headache went completely in 30 mins! Good Luck.

Brgd's

N1 Vibes

gingernut
14th Feb 2008, 11:39
"Watchful waiting" is a reasonable option following a 3 week history.

If you're still having problems after another 2weeks, it's worth a revisit.

Have a look at my post on "blocked nose" but exercise caution before shoving anything unprescribed up your snazza, 'specially if flying a plane and on bp medication.

(I think sudafed is contra-indicated in those with raised bp)

perkin
14th Feb 2008, 11:40
Just to confirm what the previous poster mentions that sinus blockage can indeed cause lightheadedness (suffer from this myself) and may be resolved by the use of decongestants.

If you are on BP medication, make sure you speak to GP/Pharmacist first, as some decongestants can have an effect on your BP, if my memory serves me correctly particularly things like Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) can be a problem.

Edit - apologies for double information, gingernut had a simultaneous thought... :ok:

stilton
15th Feb 2008, 02:05
Thanks for your replys.