PDA

View Full Version : Job Options

weymouthuk
13th Feb 2008, 23:03
Hi All

What a bloody awesome website, I've sat for hours having a read of the various threads. My question is this:

At age 30, I'm considering going for my PPL, something I've wanted to do most of my life but have just never got the gumption to get on with. Being realistic, I doubt I'll ever sit in the Left seat (or Right seat for that matter) of a large commercial jetliner due to my age by the time I achieve suitable flying hours etc. So with this in mind, and with a PPL potentially under my belt, can you good folks advise on what my next course of action would be to realistically secure a job as a pro pilot? I'm not writing off the possibility of flying the big rigs but taking a realistic view of what career potential may be there and what further training I should take after PPL to get there. Hopefully it will amount to more than 'Flying Instructor'.

Thanks in advance chaps.

AlphaMale
14th Feb 2008, 10:17
I'm sure you know the layout of the modular system and the usual ways of climbing it.

You'll need 200+ hours to start a Instructor rating and get a low paid job.
You'll need 700+ hours to get a job with air taxi firms due to insurance reasons.

But there are 200hr pilots who have managed to get jobs with TP/Jet operators. I don't think 30 is too late either, take a look at the 'Am I too old? And how old is too old?' thread. There are quite a few people in their late 30's and early 40's getting RHS jobs on jets.

So the question is how quickly can you get a fATPL? More often than not this will boil down to funds as it can be gained in 1 year.

che turner
14th Feb 2008, 12:30
All I have to say go for it, you never know when you will get a job but as I have seen if you persist you will get there. I to am 30 and starting out on my fulltime integrated in the USA in 3 months, I do not expect a jet job at the end of it but it will come one day.

If it is a dream you have to go for it:D. You will be happier knowing that you gave it a go.

All the best. :ok:

weymouthuk
14th Feb 2008, 14:11
Thanks for your responses, very encouraging. Che, Good Luck in America.

Of course the ATPL is a massive financial hurdle for me and I suspect most others but, at 30 if I've learned nothing else, I've learned that where theres a will, theres a way!

Now, must go and dig out that sawnoff and the address of my local bank.....

amirfl
14th Feb 2008, 23:48
I know people who started at older ages and are airline captains now. It's not going to be easy, you will have to spend a lot of money and effort to get to a point where you are hireable but it is definitely possible, now probably more than ever. If it something that really burns in your blood, I'd say go for it. Airline hiring is currently at a high and very low minimums are required by many of them.

Also, check out this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=312298) on PPRUNE.
Good luck,
A. Fleminger

weymouthuk
15th Feb 2008, 09:47
Thanks for your advice. Theres plenty of examples of people older than me taking the plunge and making success out of it.

I'm not set on flying anything huge (though it would be nice) I'm quite happy going for a regional Jet or TP personally. Its not so much the aircraft as the actualy flying for me.

RB311
15th Feb 2008, 10:18
Hi Weymouth uk.

Although i already had my ppl and necessary hrs to start commercial training stowed away, I didn't start the professional training until i was 35yrs young. I did it part time so that the financial hurdle was more manageable and now have a jet job with a major operator, 2.5 yrs later.

It is possible if you focus, have support and, above all, enjoy learning and working hard!!

best of luck
rb311.

weymouthuk
16th Feb 2008, 02:29
RB311, thank you!

Everybodies been very encouraging but your comments are by far the best real example of somebody who's done what some describe as impossible.

Thanks
Carl.:)

G SXTY
17th Feb 2008, 13:25
I'm mid-thirties, didn't start flying until I was 29, and have just got my first job - brand new glass cockpit turboprop. :ok:

There are plenty of similar stories to mine, it's not at all unusual.

Flying Farmer
17th Feb 2008, 18:57
I think I may be one of the older ones here to have started late and have entered the Airline world.

Flew at 18 then stopped due the usual finances.

Started again at 39, completed modular course March 2002, no luck with the airlines so did FI course July 02. Instructed for a few years, then started some safety pilot work for a local Air Taxi company.

Made the break into the airlines, with a regional TP operator in May 06, Command within the next 2 months at the ripe old age of 46!

It can be done and given you are 30 you really do have time on your side.

A little thread creep. I was thinking about putting my time, zero to left seat down on paper. It may help inspire some to continue and given the content, training companies going out of business! it may help the unwary to plan financially the best way of going about it.

Would anybody be interested in reading it?

Wannabe Mike
17th Feb 2008, 19:12
FF,

I would be extremely interested in reading your time from zero to LHS. I await your post with anticipation!

WM

paperplane
17th Feb 2008, 20:19
not to worry weymouthuk there are many like us who start off late.
I'm from fiji in the south pacific where I'll be the oldest in a class if 16 trainees who are on average 14 years my junior.

i've always wanted to fly since i was 5 or 6 and just got around to do this after a degree and career in marine science.

it will be a challenge and i wish you all the best in future.

cheers and a big bula!

weymouthuk
18th Feb 2008, 13:35
Hi Flying Farmer

Yes, I'd be very interested to read you zero to left seat hours.

Thanks
Carl.