PDA

View Full Version : Sound problems "no wave device"

theearl
13th Feb 2008, 14:16
Hi guys,

I have never had any problems before with sound on my laptop. However no when I try to play music etc, I get "no wave dvice is installed......"

What is going on as I have not changed any of my settings etc and everthing worked just fine until now.

It keeps asking me to go to control panel, add hardware, but there is no hardware to do anything with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Rgds
The earl

BOAC
13th Feb 2008, 14:32
I guess we assume Windows again:ugh:

Which version?

What does 'sounds and audio devices'/'audio' show for sound playback?

theearl
13th Feb 2008, 17:35
Windows XP. Initially it showed no options for audio playback, now it shows realtek 97???. I have restored to a previous "save" and it is all working again. Think I may have lost some files in the process though. All very strange.

Cheers

hellsbrink
13th Feb 2008, 18:49
I know this is a silly question, but did you let windows update the drivers for the sound card?

Not saying this is the cause, mainly because I don't know what actually happened to the driver/software theearl has, but, everyone, PLEASE never install a driver from Windows Update. DON'T let it update everything automatically or it will cause issues. I found that out the hard way when my graphics card and sound card both stopped working after a win update and the only cure was to install the original driver. Since then I always go straight to the manufacturer for stuff like that. You only get bitten once, shall we say.

You know how bad the software is, would you trust them to make programs for other people's stuff?