PDA

View Full Version : Cessna (Single Engine) or ME Maintenance

atheuma
13th Feb 2008, 12:53
Hi there,

First of all I would like to complement everyone who helped to build out such a great site for all aviation enthusiats.

Please excuse my questions but I am a newbie.
I am in the last stages of my PPL, has to do my last navigation, and then eventually the skill test. I am in pursue for a commercial career as a pilot.

After getting my PPL license, I was thinking of buying a 1970 Cessna 150K not the aerobat version :( with the continental O-200A . I downloaded the service manual for the cessna and it states that there are the 50hr, 100hr, 200hr, 500hr, and the 1000th hr inspection/maintenance. Also after a certain period of time the engine must be overhauled.

Now the question is, What type of qualification/license do one need to have in order to do the inspection/maintenance and overhaul...if different licenses need to be obtained please classify.

Also after how many hours must the engine be overhauled...

Obviously I am referring to the JAR regulations.

Thanking you in advance,

Adrian

dan498
14th Feb 2008, 09:34
iyer m8, i only have city guilds 2 5 9 and 11 / 2 5 9 13 and a few btecs and that qualifys me to work on them, the more technical jobs though one of the licensed guy has to come in ie radios,nav aids etc. i fink as well if its cessna, could be desil and you need some other qualification of extnetion to sign them of. ill have a word in work tomorrow and get some proper info back to you

atheuma
14th Feb 2008, 10:20
thanks mate... that would be great!! Also what type of qualifications must one have in order to be able to issue the CofA and the certificate of maintenance review...thanks

stevef
14th Feb 2008, 16:10
I think you'll find that a PPL holder can carry out a 50 hour check on his/her aircraft with very limited defect rectification. Other maintenance checks have to be carried out by an approved maintenance organisation and signed off by appropriately licenced engineers.
Any unlicenced mechanic is 'qualified' to work on aircraft; there's no exam although some companies may ask for evidence of apprenticeships or courses before employment. The bits of paper that count are the Part-66 Licence and its various categories.