PDA

View Full Version : Network printer installation

Gulfstreamaviator
13th Feb 2008, 06:57
Help: I am trying to add to my lap top, a printer that is installed on our network.

I am using wireless, as is the other computer that is actually able to print.

I have the printer IP192.168.2.1

I have the printer type: Xerox WCPE120 and 6 different driver discs.

Please where do I start.?

I have tried to "install" new printer, but it is asking for URL, and that is what i do not have.

Many thanks, in advance. glf

glf

Pontius Navigator
13th Feb 2008, 07:18
Have you installed the printer drivers on the laptop and got it to print on a wired connection? That was the route with my Linksys wireless print server. Once it would print I needed to set the print server to the correct security key.

As it prints wirelessly with the other computre that should be OK.

ab33t
13th Feb 2008, 07:22
Go to add printers , select add a network printer and browse for the printer see if you can find the name of the pc that the printer is attached to or else just look for the name of the printer. As the previous post states make sure you have the printer driver disk or that the driver is installed on the computer.

Agent86
13th Feb 2008, 07:33
Have a look at the setup on the 'puter that IS printing. If the printer is "networked" ie plugged in via ethernet you will need to set up a tcp/ip port.

The working 'puter should have a port pointing to 192.168.2.1.

This is where Windoze is daft ...You have to add a printer as a LOCAL printer and then add the tcp/ip port. In XP the second window of the setup wizard asks you to select a port ..this is where you create the new tcp/ip port and then proceed from there with driver disks/etc.

Gulfstreamaviator
13th Feb 2008, 14:51
thats the clever bit...Will try tomorrow. thanks all. glf