PDA

View Full Version : Flippin screen

mafibacon
13th Feb 2008, 04:39
I am using a Dell Inspiron 1300, running on XP.
During a word processing exercise the whole screen "flipped" through 90 degrees. I have tried restoring the settings for a week before this happened with no success.
Anyone out there with a solution.
This has become a real pain in the neck!
Thanks in advance
MB

airmuster
13th Feb 2008, 05:02
Couldn't resist

Try turning the screen 90'

Sorry

Have never heard of such like. Have you tried different screen........ although must say it should not be fault of screen.

Captain Gadget
13th Feb 2008, 06:29
Hi Mafibacon

I use a Dell screen (with a desktop pc though) at work and this 'screen flip' is a built-in feature on it - I expect that your Inspiron screen has the same feature. To change the setting, use CTRL+ALT+arrow (the arrow to use is the one pointing to where you want the top of the screen to end up, so 'up' arrow for the normal, landscape view.

I expect that you hit the key combo by accident while typing (I have done this several times). Hope this helps...

Gadget :ok:

bnt
13th Feb 2008, 06:40
If so, that's a feature of the Intel graphics chipset, and I think you can turn it off, somewhere in the advanced settings for that chipset - though I don't have an example at the moment. Look for the Intel Graphics icon in Control Panel.

Captain Gadget
13th Feb 2008, 06:55
bnt

I'm on my PC at work now and, by golly, you're right. There is an 'Intel Extreme Graphics 2' icon in Control Panel which brings up a tabbed display which includes Hot Key selection for the screen rotation feature.

Our Dell screens do rotate on their stands and I have seen people working (in Word, usually) with their screens rotated to portrait - can't see it being of much use on a laptop, though!

To disable the feature you can uncheck the 'Enable Hot Keys' box on the Hot Keys tab.

Gadget :ok:

mafibacon
13th Feb 2008, 07:57
Thanks a lot gents.
The settings had somehow moved through to 270 deg. I have reset them as advised and everything is back to normal.
I am now able to work without cricking my neck to one side.
Cheers all.
:)
MB