PDA

View Full Version : Question about fast jet response for ground forces

Culio
12th Feb 2008, 19:49
Hello all,

I was watching Ross Kemp in Afghanistan (great programme) and it struck me that there was a distinct lack of RAF fast jets. The blue-on-blue incident was committed by a USAF jet (don't turn this into a debate/argument please) and it was later mentioned that French jets were around.

My main question is:

Why isn't the RAF doing the fast jet responses for British forces in Iraq and Afghanistan? :confused:

Thanks,

Culio

Pontius Navigator
12th Feb 2008, 20:00
The requirement for forces in contact is 24/7. The RAF simply has insufficent assets to mount a 24/7 response in one theatre let alone 2; that is why we are part of an alliance.

Culio
12th Feb 2008, 20:02
So they do it on a kind of rota, or is it whoever is on duty?

High_lander
12th Feb 2008, 20:08
They are there and performing a fantastic job, by the sounds of the many posts on here and aarse.

There are the GR4s operating out of Kuwait supporting operations in Iraq.

Harrier GR9 & 7 are operating out of Kandahar(?) and supporting operations in Southern Afghanistan and elsewhere.

Seaking93
12th Feb 2008, 20:16
'There are the GR4s operating out of Kuwait supporting operations in Iraq'

Try Qatar for the Iraq supporting flights,unless my son has been going to the wrong place for the last 4 years:)

Green Flash
12th Feb 2008, 20:20
All troops and air assets are chucked in the NATO pot. Certain assets are given a block of time to cover. Then it depends whose troops are in contact. Might have some Danes being CAS'd by the French, Canadians by the Brits, whatever. All depends on who/where/when

High_lander
12th Feb 2008, 20:34
Seaking,

my bad!

ZuluMike
16th Feb 2008, 18:46
UK fast air to support ground troops in Afghanistan is provided by the Harrier GR9 / 7, who are on call 24 /7. But someone else controls the operation, the pilots don't get to decide when and where they go. Fast air allocation is done by NATO (ISAF) or the CAOC in Qatar. On any day (or night) at any time there may be several incidents in progress, the jets could get sent to any of them.