PDA

View Full Version : MAS service

Beer_n_Tabs
12th Feb 2008, 16:17
After umpteen years of short haul, I will later in the year be embarking on my 1st long haul experience LHR-KUL, on MAS.

I am in cattle class, but so be it (beggars can't be choosers).

Couple of questions though...(probably answered a million times already..so apologies if so).

Whats the service like way back in the cheap seats?
Is the IFE any good?
Is there anyway I can prebook a seat (or is that for the LCC's)?

The only thing that is really bothering me is getting plonked in mid row for the duration. If I can prebook an aisle or window for a few extra £ then I will happily do it.

What are your thoughts / comments please?

Big Harvey
12th Feb 2008, 16:41
Malaysian are a good airline. Decent leg-room and comfortable seats, even in cattle class. My usual method of securing an aisle seat is just to turn up early at check-in, and that's pretty much always worked for me so far. If you're worried, ring the airline and see what they suggest.

Andy_S
13th Feb 2008, 07:51
MAS long haul service discussed on this forum just a few weeks ago. Follow this link:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=311236

In general, service is OK to good. Leg room in economy about as generous as you'll find anywhere. IFE is excellent, with a wide range of on demand films and other programs.

I'm not aware you can prebook, but you can always ask for a particular seat at check in. The last couple of flights I took had plenty of spare seats anyway, so you might even be able to move once on board.

Beer_n_Tabs
13th Feb 2008, 11:03
Great stuff

Thanks for the info gents.

WHBM
13th Feb 2008, 11:36
I too don't care for seats in the centre section - I think we PPRuNers in general are window seat types.

Malaysian don't do advance seat reservations in Y class, but if you ask for a window or an aisle and that is noted in your reservation, they have always come up with the requested seat type for me - I believe they do it the old way of preparing seat allocations for the whole aircraft about 24 hours before departure (always a job for the junior ops office staff), and they do take notice of the requests. If you don't get asked when booking, call their res centre up with your PNR and have this added.

I also notice that they are sensible with their allocations - for example putting all the single travelllers in a section using window and aisle in the triple seats, when they are not full. It is apparent this has been preplanned rather than chance.

timmyneedham
25th Feb 2008, 20:23
OK, having originated the other discussion on Malaysian, here are my thoughts after flying with them LHR-DPS in the last fortnight.

Well I thought they were very good to be honest. Both LHR-KUL flights were full and the KUL-DPS nearly full but they were the best economy long haul flights I've done for years. Normally I would fly business but this time the fares were massive and I couldn't get near what I wanted to pay so we went Y. The service was excellent, with good food and IFE. Planes were a bit tatty though and usual narrow seats on the LHR-KUL sector - more room on the 330 between KUL and DPS. I reckon the plane on the way home was so old that Burt Lancaster probably flew it. The cc said they were looking forward to the 380 - I am too.

TN

nivsy
25th Feb 2008, 21:45
Am utilising MAS B777 in May to KUL and then onwards on what appears to be tatty 737 400s to Singapore for a couple of days. Quite encouraged by what I have read so far altho' find it a bit annoying that cant choose seats prior to check in. Will be travelling out of Frankfurt so hopefully will not be a full load.

Guess as advised in previous post best bet is just to check in mega early?

Nivsy

Beer_n_Tabs
26th Feb 2008, 12:11
Same plan for me, try and check in early and see if I can talk 'em into putting me by the window, and then go and find a bar for some 'light' refeshment.

As I say the plan is to check in early....of course I have the M25 and LHR 'experience' to contend with 1st :uhoh:

angels
26th Feb 2008, 12:28
nivsy - don't worry about the KUL-SIN hop. It's just that.

And if your incoming flight is delayed, there's a plane every 20 minutes down to Singapore so don't fret!

nivsy
26th Feb 2008, 14:10
Thanxs Angel - I know its only about 50 mins between KUL and SIN. Yes beer n tabs - good luck with LHR and what Terminal 3?! Oh and hey - at least I can get a decent German beer at FRA as well -.

Quite looking forward to the trip.

Nivsy

Dryce
26th Feb 2008, 20:32
I too don't care for seats in the centre section - I think we PPRuNers in general are window seat types.

Most regular cattle class long haulers I know will go for the centre section aisle seats in a 3-4-3 or 3-3-3 layout if they think the plane is going to be reasonably full.

Comes down to a simple equation as to how many people you have to climb over to get to the toilets or conversely how many will need to climb over you.

Window isn't much use at night or if the crew want the screens closed.

That said doing KUL-N Europe daytime you can get some spectacular views of Afghanistan and Turkmenistan if the weather is right.

nivsy
26th Feb 2008, 20:37
I think though the MAS 777's are 2-4-2? Did check on the web site but cant remember.

Dryce
26th Feb 2008, 21:42
ISTR MAS 777s are mainly 2-5-2 at the back which makes the window and outer aisle seats preferred over centre section.

Andy_S
27th Feb 2008, 09:03
I think though the MAS 777's are 2-4-2?

They're 2-5-2 in economy apart from the last couple of rows which are 2-4-2.