PDA

View Full Version : Warning: SkyEyes and ThaiSky Airline L1011F jobs

P1L0T
12th Feb 2008, 15:30
I have been recent months in Thailand and had chance to listened to the saga of Skyeye from their [now ex-] crew members. All of them that I know are gone now so I looked to entertain myself with "L1011 Skyeyes" on google.com and pprune.org but there is not so much info there. Their websites look like it was updated about 2004 and talks about passenger airplane coming in 2005 and pprune has some talk about owner of aircraft and Thai operator and Bangladesh investor and so on but no clear warning what mess it really is. Lot of Thai operators get the attention they deserve but this one seems the worst.

They are still looking for pilots, so here is what I know starting from more one year ago.

The aircraft (they have only one L1011 freighter) returned from a Bahrain-Baghdad contract and was parked in Rayong with no flying in 2004. There was one contract that failed in 2005/2006 because it had to return after complete INS failures two times and contract cancelled (this according to captain on those flights). About one year ago Skyeyes got a contract with one Mr. Sabir from Bangladesh to fly out of UAE. A crew was hired and the plane went to UAE where they were soon kicked out because their equipment did not meet UAE requirements (EGPWS and other?) and it went to Oman where the crews stayed for months while the equipment was installed. During this time the salary started getting behind. Aircraft finally returned to UAE but little or no flying. Salary more late.

In September they finally flew, but was then grounded [for technical problems?] in Kyrgystan on the way to China. The customer had to get the service from another operator, Mr. Sabir's ex-partner Dwayne Egle, now in direct competition in UAE. Due to payment (hotels, landing fees, cost of replacement service) problems the crew was in house arrest for 3 weeks before the plane could leave for Bangkok where it had to go due to Thai CAA requirement. In BKK the captain packed his bags and left. The aircraft has only flow twice since.

Crew was promised to pay after first flight. This changed to "after next flight". This time also another crew was hired [for a plane that was not flying] and trained (some say not) and Mr. Sabir promised to start paying salary directly but it got worse. After a while original FE was fired for causing trouble (demanding all his pay $12000). They replaced him with Sunny's (Skyeye owner) Thai relative for less money. Another FE was also brought to BKK. He was promised 5 thousand a month then told 4 when he arrived. He left after first pay day (no pay) to work for another Thai operator (B747). Two new captains and one FO were hired. First captain left for a better job after a month but the second one (same captain as 2 years before) flew a test flight for Thai DCA in October. The flight was incomplete due to serious mechanical failures in most systems. Captain left saying nothing was fixed since 2 years before plus a ton of new problems.

As cost cutting [as it would take a lot of time and money to fix the plane clearly] the original FO was fired when he went home on family affairs (they let him get home first) because he was making trouble with his $8000 back pay and Thai FE was sent back to his farm (real) on no pay. And no pay for anyone.

End of december they flew the last time to Cambodia [and back!]. They hired one more captain and the only reason they got back to BKK was that he wanted to leave so badly. Next morning he was gone saying he will never touch that aircraft. FO disappeared a week later so the only crew they got is Thai FE sitting on his farm waiting for call to work. The plane is still in BKK and not flying or fixed.

Maintenance on this aircraft is a joke and has not been done right for many years. It has many issues and should not be flying. One of the the engines is about to go. Many engine instruments are not working. Fuel gauges are not working. New EGPWS does not work. Only one INS. GPS is dead. No gear safe lights. Many tyres out of limit. Nose tires damaged due to high speed reverse fail and wrong action by captain. Spoiler on right side sticking intermittent in flying and airplane needs a lot of trim. Bleed leaks and pack overheats. Pressurisation only manual. Autopilot are both inop. And many other problems I was told but can not remember sure. They have 2 mechanics from Egypt who seem not to know what they are doing but they rarely work on and anyway there is no spare parts even if this Sabir says he paid a lot to Sunny for spares.

But now it gets worse. Mr. Sabir and his Rack Aviation Emirates is planning to buy 3 more Tristars (1freight/2passenger) from Thaisky that are parked in DMK (old BKK airport). His competition Mr. Egle had a new lease contract signed for the freighter and was having work done on it when Sabir offered to buy all 3 planes from owner and this deal cancelled. The condition of these planes is also in question and he plans to register them in Bangladesh. He already has a B707 registered there and flying in Africa. It is not clear what he plans for all these aircraft as not even the one is flying.

So beware if you get a job offer as you will get your first pay cut when you arrive and the second when you don't get paid on time. One month late is best you can expect. Then you will fly some most dangerous planes in the world for this money. You will also not get a work permit or any support if things go wrong for you. Remember that just 4 crew that I know lost more than $30000 between them. If anyone takes a chance then they can only blame themself.

Earl
12th Feb 2008, 19:23
Well said P1Lot!
This information is true as I was one that was involved there a few months ago and left due to salary issues.
When I arrived I was told that I was part of a second crew being hired due to the expected flying schedule.
This crew was current and qualified, 2 of us ex Globejet.
In reality I found later that we were replacing other crew members that had been fired because they complained too much about the back salary owed.
Poor guys had a family to support and needed this badly.
This one like most of the Tristar operators left in the world are not reliable when it comes to paying the crews and maintaining the aircraft.
If the aircraft was ever flown into the EU and ramp checked I am sure it would remain there, really terrible state of repair, but according to the Egyptian ground engineers it is in perfect shape.
Work Permits! Forget it, Sunny says they are not required, even though your Thai Validation states that they are needed before you begin work.
Put the Thais together with a few corrupt middle easterners and this is what happens.
Surprised Mughrabi not involved here, fits his pattern.
But this is Tristar, anything goes, rules and regulations do not apply here!

CargoOne
12th Feb 2008, 19:30
but was then grounded [for technical problems?] in Kyrgystan

You mean grounded by Kyrgyz Authorities? Then it sounds like it was missing a complete wing or 2 engines at least... You cannot be grounded for less than that down there :E

fergineer
12th Feb 2008, 23:03
It is indeed a great shame that this once mighty aircraft has been left in the hands of people that have no scrupples what so ever. I will always have good memeories of the aircraft, the -250 was the only one I did not fly and live in the hope that one day just maybe the climate out there will enable a company to fly a well serviced L1011 again. As Earl says there are very few crews left to fly the aircraft now so the chances are remote indeed.
To those still flying the aircraft out there good luck to you guys.....I flew for Kampuchian alias Orient Thai and learnt a lot very quickly but there was the bonus that the rest of the flight deck knew the aircraft as well. Today the crews do not have that luxury.

Mile Hi
12th Feb 2008, 23:21
Hey Fergi, hope the knees are well,
Its been awhile since I seen you old chaps hope you are all well, It was a blast to fly with you and the formentioned during the Hajj in years passed.

Richard:ugh:

altayaara
13th Feb 2008, 07:44
Interesting to know this information in my friends search for L1011 F, but when I see the name Duane Egli.... I get very afraid.....this grandpa ( he must be end of his seventies or early eighties) is a shame and blame for the whole aircraftindustry. I flew a couple of years ago frequently on 707 into an regional airport in Belgium, called Ostend, where I made a lot of friends with whom I still have contact up till now.

Duane Egli was based there for long period, first with LWA airlines, later with Ducor airlines. He was the guy operating with the Mickey Mouse L-1011 freighter ( pax-aircraft without seats serving as a freighter) but was blacklisted with those aircrafts because of constant changing of registrations.

One ( an ex-LTU pax) was in reconversion for more then 1 year, changed 3 times registration to finally leave on a US reg, ferry to Miami. After take-off in Ostend, it did an emergency landing in Manston, Uk ( I think its 15 minutes flight), after 3 weeks repaired, proceeded to Miami, but had to do another emergency landing on engine failure in Newfoundland Canada. After another 4 weeks it arrived in Miami, where it was scrapped.

The other two moved to the UAE and Duane Egli got kicked out of the Belgian Airport. When they modified the LTU one, they worked on it like a hay farmer welds an old trailer to use behind the tractor but one flying at 500 miles an hour.

I agree that it is a pity that this type of aircraft is degraded to a pirates and buccaneers vessel in the aviation industry.

fergineer
13th Feb 2008, 23:15
Hi there Richard, nice to hear from you too.....what you up to now working hard I hope!!!!!Me I am semi retired maybe just one last flying fling if the right job came up who knows!!!!

Mile Hi
21st Feb 2008, 22:03
Hey Ferg, I hear from the grape vine there is a outfit in (YES) Pakistan looking for a few crews go to clinbto350.com, I think I seen it there.
or email Rogan hes still in the know,
have you heard from D gritton at all lately? or the other chaps from Portugale.

R

411A
22nd Feb 2008, 03:22
The 'outfit' in Pakistan now has their airplane AOG in Khartoum, last I heard, and crews sent back to Jordan.
And as far as DG is concerned, I would expect he is far removed from this side show...I would hope.:}
He is a good friend and a top notch guy, bar none.
In fact, last I heard, he was associated with the...CL44-0.:uhoh: