PDA

View Full Version : Eye Floaters - Wanna be pilot

bradhighland
12th Feb 2008, 12:17
Hi. I want to be an airline pilot, however i'm seeing what is called 'eye floaters' in my vision. I was wondering would this be a problem when i'm taking my JAR Class 1 medical examination. I don't want to fail my medical because of this. My eyesight otherwise is brilliant, i.e. reading from a distance easily, no glasses etc.

If anybody has experienced the same problem and has gone on to get their Class 1 medical, please could you give me your opinions.

Thanks in advance guys.

Wader2
12th Feb 2008, 12:34
For everyone else, Google eye-floater. Fascinating.

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/floaters/causes.htm

What exactly do you mean by floaters? - "floaters" are generally used to describe tiny dark spots, specks or spidery webs that float across the field of vision. Most people notice them in well-lit rooms or outdoors on a bright day. After the eye comes to rest, they continue to move. Floaters often are normal, but sometimes they warn of eye problems such as retinal detachment, especially if they happen with light flashes.

Now I have read this far, I have floaters too. I find them a quite pleasant sensation, a bit like counting sheep. :)

bradhighland
12th Feb 2008, 13:33
Hi Wader2. What do you mean? I can see small white spots on a clear day. My question is, would this fail me in a Class 1 medical? Apart from the tiny spots, I can see clearly and it doesn't effect my vision.

Beethoven
12th Feb 2008, 17:07
No mate, if you're worried get it checked...I have and all ok.

vlieger
12th Feb 2008, 17:18
You should be alright. I have them too and passed my medical.

Tigs2
12th Feb 2008, 17:41
When my eyes are at rest and looking at a bright lit background I see small dot like floaters and some that resemble tadpole type shapes. They are almost transparent in appearance. Have had this as long as I can remember. Weird eh?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Feb 2008, 18:34
Floaters are exceptionally common - I've had them all my life and I'm certain that floaters in themsleves will have no effect on your medical.

I have recently been diagnosed with PVD - Posterior Vitreous Detachment. I thought it meant my bottom had fallen off but, no, it's an eye problem. It's where the fluid in one's eye becomes detached from the wall of the eye with increasing age. In itself it is harmless and there is no treatment for it unless it causes retinal problems. Symptoms include more floaters and the odd flashes of light which should subside with time. Just to satisfy my own curiosity, would any wise person on here know if PVD would be a bar to a Class 1 medical?

Mohit_C
12th Feb 2008, 18:38
I actually have these too but never thought of finding out what it is or what causes it...anyways, I have passed my Class 1 Medical too so don't worry.

bradhighland
12th Feb 2008, 20:31
Thanks for all of the replies guys. It is a weird thing to have. I will now go on and try to persue my career as an airline pilot now. Thanks once again.

gingernut
12th Feb 2008, 20:43
i'm seeing what is called 'eye floaters' in my vision

I thought everyone does! I remember reading Chuck Yaegers autobiography- he mentioned them somewhere in the text.

Not usually a concern, unless sudden in onset, or accompanied by other visual symptoms, (such as a falling curtain across your vision).

If in doubt, check'em out.

The sparkling lights are something different, again, if in doubt....blah blah:)

GS-Alpha
14th Feb 2008, 17:23
Very small white (semi-transparent) spots that seem to dart about at random, which can be seen on a very bright day are actually the red blood cells passing through your cornea. If this is what you are referring to, you have nothing to worry about.

dontpickit
14th Feb 2008, 19:39
Similar thread from late last year,

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=297161&highlight=floaters

American Girl
30th May 2010, 20:12
I've never had a problem in my life until this past week... got a good scare.

USA is Mecca for Innovative Medicine at Least for Now - NH Tea Party Coalition (http://www.nhteapartycoalition.org/tea/2010/05/30/usa-is-mecca-for-innovative-medicine-at-least-for-now/)