PDA

View Full Version : This can mean one thing

B A Lert
12th Feb 2008, 04:13
From the SMH

....Meanwhile, Mr Joyce noted increased oil prices had put pressure on the airline's fuel costs and the company was working to offset the rise.

"Our fuel has gone from 17 per cent to 32 per cent of our cost base, (but) our other costs have reduced to compensate for that, and that's why we continue to make money at these low airfares," Mr Joyce said.

Jetstar was forced to increase the fuel surcharge on its international flights last month as a result of record crude oil prices.

"Our major focus over the last four years has been working on other cost efficiencies to offset fuel," Mr Joyce said.....

Is there anything else to say?

Capt Wally
12th Feb 2008, 07:33
..............yeah well you would have to be deaf dumb & blind not to notice the obvious in that statement!
Ok what does a plane need to fly???? Apart from the millions of little things such as the infastructure to get pax aboard etc. a plane needs two major things (excuse me engineers, I haven't 4got you guys) one is FUEL & the other is PILOTS!! They can't do a thing about fuel the oil Co's have all of us over a barrel (pun intended) But the other vital thing PILOTS is something that Co's can keep in check/manipulate. But what if & this is almost hypothetical pilots stopped dead in their tracks & not supplied their services? Fuel yes can bring a Co to a stop & pilots could do the same thing. Unfortunetly the main diff is fuel is a mineral & pilots are an animal.
The latter is venerable.

Sounds silly enough I guess, but is it?

CW:confused:

Ultralights
12th Feb 2008, 07:51
Invasion? :}

amos2
12th Feb 2008, 08:51
Ah! Wally...you are so right! But will the masses listen?...

I doubt it!...

poor misguided sods they be! :ugh::ugh:

genex
12th Feb 2008, 10:03
Actually it might just be as simple as that he is paid by the Qantas Group to protect their backs against the nasties from Virgin, Lion, Tiger Air Asia et al.

It's not always pretty but he does it well and keeps lots of good jobs in-house that wouldn't be there otherwise. Why is the glass always half-empty?

speeeedy
12th Feb 2008, 10:07
Genex, you are just like aircraft only dumber! :ugh: :ugh:

Cap'n Arrr
12th Feb 2008, 11:45
Not forgetting the other area cost can be reduced... maintenance!!!

But hell, I don't know anything about how Jet* is managed or why, so I'll refrain from making any guesses as to the hidden meaning

Arr

airtags
12th Feb 2008, 22:08
and of course you are forgetting the other really efficient way of cutting costs - keep the (hefty) J* start up amortisation on the QF balance sheet for a little longer and wherever possible when domestic loads fall below 50% canx the flight and xfer the pax to QF.

Under this scheme J* saves on fuel, landing fees, crews etc and of course still gets to invoice QF for the notional freight allocation on the canx a/c and best of all retains the greater portion of the revenue under the J*/QF codeshare arrangement.

All that aside I tend think the statment really might have a little more to do with the current chess game on pilot's pay and a bit of posturing towards those a/c manufacturers that are having some delivery delays .....due to operational requirements

Fenwicksgirl
13th Feb 2008, 00:57
I think what he was alluding to was that management will have to start reducing their year end bonuses to save money and improve profit....i think.;)

womble006
13th Feb 2008, 01:15
I think Aust pilots suffer from battered wives syndrome, they expect to get a beating everytime the boss is not happy. Stand up for yourself , enough is enough. Your needed and you deserve more. End of story