PDA

View Full Version : Photo of very high speed wind blast to face to simulate ejections ?

alph2z
12th Feb 2008, 00:04
Anyone know where I can find a photo or video of the wind blast experiment ?

I believe it was Dr Stapp that is in the photo where we see a very high speed wind blast his face to simulate ejections from jet fighters, whereby the skin of his face is pulled back.

I did a massive search but the closest I found was Dr Spatt acceleration and deceleration videos which is not what I`m looking for.

Thanks.

wiggy
12th Feb 2008, 00:53
Have you tried Stapp....?

ronnie3585
12th Feb 2008, 01:04
http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/

On the right hand side click on Watch Videos then on the top tab bar choose Supercars and then Aerial Atom from the list. May not be exactly what you're looking for but it is still funny to watch Clarkson's face rippling in the wind!

alph2z
12th Feb 2008, 04:00
Thanks wiggy, I misspelled his name in the above post (corrected) :ugh: I did way TOO much searching ....

alph2z
13th Feb 2008, 04:10
Thanks ronnie3585,

I have captured the .ram video and extracted some pics.

Bullethead
13th Feb 2008, 06:02
Weren't these tests done on a rocket sled and not in a wind tunnel?

Regards,
BH.

BOAC
13th Feb 2008, 07:29
The test were indeed on a rocket sled, and I think the high wind blast test was done with a fighter helmet on and it stayed attached. I suspect that a 'bare face' test would have probably done irreparable damage to his eyelids and mouth.

You may be getting confused with the g forces that he experienced which severely distorted his face and nearly blinded him, and I'm sureI have seen lots of pics of those around.

I seem to recall that there was another series of sled test which went above the 40 or so 'g' of Stapp towards 90 - and he survived too? I think the record ejection was Mach7 from an X-15 but obviously at a low IAS.

alph2z
14th Feb 2008, 03:23
Thanks BOAC for clearing those points, I suspected that too, you're probably right.