PDA

View Full Version : No Return to Home Page

kwachon
11th Feb 2008, 17:08
Strange problem, When I first log on to the internet my computer boots normally to my home page (msn.com). Then if I go to another web site and try to come back to msn.com I get "Page cannot be found unknown error -1".

I can log onto any other web site page and all of my favourites except msn.com, I have tried all the normal things including adware checks, virus checks etc but all with no joy.

Any help would be appreciated

dazdaz
13th Feb 2008, 15:29
Just a couple of ideas......
Start>right click ' internet explorer' left click 'internet properties' in the address box should display http://msn.com/

Other idea..... In the same window click on 'programs' at the bottom of the window/page make sure the box "Internet explorer should check to see wether it is the default browser" IS TICKED.

Daz

hellsbrink
13th Feb 2008, 18:57
kwachon

msn.com has been *glitching* recently. Not just the US one, but also the UK and Netherlands versions. If the problem isn't "constant", then this could be the issue.

Next, type this into the search bar http://www.msn.com/ , let it load and then save it as a favourite. If it loads in from that favorite it will be ok as your home page. What can happen is that although you have the site saved as "home" it is cached (saved) onto your system. When they change things, then that doesn't work the same as what you have saved isn't the same as what exists.

Because everything else works fine, you are looking at it either being an issue on the msn site or an issue with what you have saved on your PC. Frustrating, I know.... (Oh, UK MSN site is http://uk.msn.com and works fine over here)

kwachon
14th Feb 2008, 16:11
Thanks for all the help, unfortunately nothing worked!, there is a weird thing going on now though. If I go to Start/Programs/Internet Explorer and double click, all works fine, I am using earthlink as my ISP and wonder if the problem is with them because when I log on it automatically starts IE7. Very strange problem. Did a HijackThis log and posted it online and no-one seems to be able to help..wondering whether to do a Hard Disk clean and reload all my software, do not want to go down this road but....

dazdaz
14th Feb 2008, 17:26
As a final thought I see your in the land of 'oil' do you think there might be some form of censorship being implemented via your ISP?

kwachon
14th Feb 2008, 21:42
No, I am back in the US on vacation at the moment. Just did an uninstall of IE7 and a new install, no change !!!!

carholme
15th Feb 2008, 12:15
kwachon;

I have the same problem with my yahoo.ca as home page. When your home page is up, do you see a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it at the LH side of the progress bar, down at the lower LH of the screen. If you do and you double click on it, what does it say? If I refresh my home page, the message clears but as soon as I move to another site and return to the home page, the message is back.

As well, when you do a scan using Hijack do you get two RO items that end in "Main, Local Page ="? These will be close to the top of the scan.

This is a self replicating item in the registry possibly from a home page re-director.

My yellow warning triangle shows a problem with script writing but I have no idea where it came from and I spent hours with the Microsoft IT people trying to resolve the issue. I did the same as you and removed IE7 but the same warning is there with IE6. I am preparing to dump the OS and reload. Microsoft says it is not a big problem but it is, as it has a slowdown effect on the system.

Regards

carholme

hellsbrink
15th Feb 2008, 13:08
Try firefox or opera browsers and see what happens......

carholme
15th Feb 2008, 14:53
I don't know about kwachon but I have tried the other browsers and of course they are not going to be a problem. The problem is with the script that is written to the IE browser, regardless of home page.

carholme

kwachon
16th Feb 2008, 15:24
Carholme,

I have too tried everything I know, I do occasionally get the triangle but that is not related to the home page issue. I seem to have made progress overnight though, I left my computer online all night so that the news block would continually update itself (similar to refresh but automatic) and this morning found an error message saying "Earthlink" needed to shut down due to a serious error. I use the earthlink toolbar for system initialization and loading the IE7 home page, I think the problem might be in earthlink so I will reload the Earthlink Total Access package and see if that clears the problem. I have heard that the Google toolbar can cause the same problem which is why I do not use it.

More to follow.....:E

hellsbrink
16th Feb 2008, 15:56
Personally, I ditch ALL toolbars (google, MSN, whatever). Not necessary