PDA

View Full Version : Hand baggage rules

11th Feb 2008, 06:34
Hi. I'm about to do two overnight stays travelling with hand baggage only, and am wondering about the following. If you're not allowed sharp objects, how do you carry your shaving blades? Thanks for your answers. (In the past this hasn't been a problem as I put them in the check-in baggage.)

malagajohn
11th Feb 2008, 07:05
Buy them when you arrive:O

johnref
11th Feb 2008, 08:16
I've never had a problem with normal disposible blades - carry them as handluggage every week or two and normally have them in my 'plastic bag' for convenience so they have been visible to screeners.

Big Harvey
11th Feb 2008, 08:51
No problems with shaving blades as long as it's the twin, triple, electric, or disposable type and obviously not the cut-throat or old fashioned variety, or at least I've never had any problems. At least I haven't so far!

Also, don't forget the liquid restrictions when it comes to toiletries. Liquids have to be in containers of 100 ml or less, and carried in a clear resealable plastic bag.

Finally, check the weight policy of the airline(s) you're flying with regarding hand luggage. Every airline has a different policy on weight, and they move the goalposts on a fairly regular basis.

11th Feb 2008, 10:28
Thanks guys for all the answers so far. Johnref, do you mean you put the blades in the see-through bag for all to see? I would prefer not to - in case a trouble-maker passenger sees them and when he get drunk on the plane and has an argument with a fellow passenger he remembers that I'm carrying blades so he raids my bag, extracts the blade from its mounting and proceeds to cause gbh on the other passenger.

johnref
11th Feb 2008, 11:20
fair enough - guess I am just lazy now and use the clear bag as my toiletry bag. Given I tend to only do 1 nighters and short haul I usually leave the bag at my feet to get at books or whatever so feel I'll be OK.

A2QFI
11th Feb 2008, 20:37
How can a safety razor blade/cartridge be turned into a deadly weapon? The whole point of them is that they are 'safe'! Dont give the security t*ssers more stupid ideas to work on!

PAXboy
11th Feb 2008, 23:17
No, shaving kit in the bag as normal but remove nail scissors as they sometimes take those. Nail clippers are fine. Just remember - there is no sense, rhyme, reason or logic to it.

radeng
12th Feb 2008, 05:30
A2QFI

>The whole point of them is that they are 'safe'!<

Doesn't stop me occasionally cutting myself with them while shaving! Of course, that could just be clumsiness......The ones that swivel are the worst, I find.

A2QFI
12th Feb 2008, 06:37
And the ones with 4 blades (Fusion) you can cut yourself 4 times LOL!

15th Feb 2008, 13:31
Ok, I'm back from the trip, and the answer (I have asked the security desk as I passed through) is that blades are fine. They did, however, confiscate my shaving foam, because it was inside a larger-than-100mm can. Also, I didn't realise I was allowed nail clippers, and so didn't take any. So I ended up shaving without foam, and having my business meeting with stinging cheeks and neck (and long nails...)

pacer142
17th Feb 2008, 09:35
Shaving oil (in the tiny bottles) is the way to go. Having introduced me to it is the only thing I'll give the liquids nonsense credit for; it gives a far, far better shave (closer, smoother and less likely to rip my face to bits) than any foam or gel I have ever used.

Big Harvey
17th Feb 2008, 13:49
Pacer 142 wrote:

"Shaving oil (in the tiny bottles) is the way to go. Having introduced me to it is the only thing I'll give the liquids nonsense credit for; it gives a far, far better shave (closer, smoother and less likely to rip my face to bits) than any foam or gel I have ever used."

Agreed. I use King of Shaves when travelling. Those tiny bottles weigh almost nothing, excellent for travelling light. The only drawback is that it's easy to miss a bit of stubble, so you need to be thorough.

With regard to finger nails, I just bite mine when they get too long. (If you're going to use 'nature's nail scissors', make sure your nails are clean first, though!)