PDA

View Full Version : flying for the united nations

Pilotpeter
11th Feb 2008, 03:44
Hi there,

I'm a 28 year old , former military aircraft mechanic, Cpl pilot doing low level flying for powerline inspections in Oz. And loving it.

But in the (not to) long term I would absolutely love to work for the United Nations and do some flying for them. Since theire type of operations are very exciting. I have worked in that kind of environment as a c130 mech in Afganistan.

Can somebody give me more information on how to become a pilot for the UN? This would be very much appreciated.
I've checked the website but I couldn't find pilot (or something to that effect) in theire very long list of jobs.

Thanks heaps for anything you can share about flying for the U.N. Since I'm always interested in good stories they are more then welcome.

merlinxx
11th Feb 2008, 07:34
You need to get a list of the air contractors from the UN. Suggest you try via the local UN office in OZ., they should lead you to the correct office in NYC/GVA et al.

blablablafly
11th Feb 2008, 07:39
Becoming a Russian or South African national seems to help as most of their contractors are based there.... :cool:

MungoP
11th Feb 2008, 23:36
The UN doesn't directly operate a/c.. they contract the work out.. as mentioned above many of the contract companies are either 'SeffAirfrrican' or Rusky.. (stay away from those.. Africa is where Antonovs go to die.) You'll need some tubine time in your logbook to be considered...ideally C208.. KingAir .. but turbine is a huge plus otherwise you'll be lucky to get a right seat job on the 208.