PDA

View Full Version : A380- Emergency Slide recall......

Section28- BE
11th Feb 2008, 00:34
Ex SMH website:

Slides on superjumbo said to be faulty

February 11, 2008

Inflatable slides on the Airbus A380 require repairs only months after the first of the giant planes entered service, the German weekly magazine Stern said today.
Airbus customers were quoted as saying that each plane's entire complement of 16 slides had to be fixed because the gas cartridges to inflate them were unreliable. It said an Airbus spokeswoman had confirmed the recall.
As the double-decker plane is so huge, some of the slides, designed for use during an emergency escape from the jet, are 20 metres long and have to be inflated by a pyrotechnical charge, similar to that used in car airbags.
It had been discovered that the chemicals in the charge decayed, meaning they would no longer work after a certain time, Stern said in its online edition. The cartridges had been supplied by BF Goodrich.
Regulations require big jets to have means available for all occupants to leave within 90 seconds.
The slides can also be used as liferafts, if an airliner lands on water.
On smaller planes, the slides are inflated with compressed air, but a new technology was needed on the A380 because of its size, Stern said. Replacing the charges with a new design meant that every single slide had to be removed and unfolded, then put back.

DPA

wesky
11th Feb 2008, 00:42
Soooo... dare I say it... let the problems begin.

You see, there was a reason as to why "Rome wasn't built in a day". If they were to have rushed under demand of those 'above', Rome would somewhat not be standing today.

Rome is a big place and the A380 is nothing short of Rome. Sure, the big boy was delayed, but the last quarter of production (or should I say the produce line) had all went to the ****ta- wrong size fittings, backward wiring blah blah blah.

Let's hope this is the worst example of manufacturing fault to come from the A380.:(

compressor stall
11th Feb 2008, 01:12
Naturally no other aircraft has ever had AD's issued because a component was found to be faulty. :rolleyes:

lowerlobe
11th Feb 2008, 01:54
Could you imagine the safety email that an airline would get regarding the re-call notice for the sliderafts...

Please ring the manufacturer on 1800 380 380 and ask for an authorisation number....

Then in a reply paid registered container return your sliderafts for either a refund or replacement with the new improved slideraft.Make certain to include your authorisation number and a return address so that we can return your slideraft promptly for re-installation to your aircraft.

.....We do not recommend use of your slideraft until it has been fitted with the new fromage croissant mk II inflator....

Short_Circuit
11th Feb 2008, 02:29
A380, land on water, right!!!!:cool:

Big Unit
11th Feb 2008, 02:32
each plane's entire complement of 16 slides had to be fixed

And to think QF beancounters were told that all the A380 will need is just fuel and some tyres. Oh well, QF may have to enlarge that number of 18 LAME's somewhat. Slide assemblies are hard to change from the planning cribs.:E

xpatjock
11th Feb 2008, 07:00
Some of the comments on here say more about the poster than the posted.
There have been NO faults reported. Goodrich and AIRBUS obviously veered on the safe side when setting the initial replacement period for this component. If you read some of the reports it talks of components having to be replaced due to 'deterioration over time', something that happens to every component on an aircraft.

AND I hate to have to point out., This refers to a routine replacement in the AMM. Its NOT a product recall, nor is it an AD.

Capt Wally
11th Feb 2008, 07:07
ahhhhhhh 'xpat' you spoil all the fun, the A380 will give us years of bitchy things to post 'ere:)
I recall the DC10 was given it's certificate during the 'watergate' scandle, rushed thru, the result?...........aviation annuls have too many sad stories to tell there. Now I could be wrong about the above but I do remember something to that effect.

CW

blueloo
11th Feb 2008, 07:15
Well Xpat - if they have to be replaced before delivered due to running out of service life, looks like they will have a very labour intensive replacement schedule -- what like replaced every month for the service life of the aircraft????? :E

Zeke
11th Feb 2008, 08:15
xpat is correct, and also to correct the article, it is only the 8 upper deck slide cartridges that need changing about once a month.

IAW
11th Feb 2008, 08:19
Surely this is the end for the A380!

To think, all those billions of dollars spent and it is a complete and utter disaster.

We will all look back on this moment in time, when the scandelous Slidegate Scandal was finally uncovered.

Enderby-Browne
11th Feb 2008, 08:54
Just two aircraft delivered, two whole years late and more A380 problems surface already. Who's footing the bill for the new slide systems? Goodrich? Airbus/EADS? The Europeans could add this latest item to the $6.8 billion and counting that the A380 has cost EADS, so far..

Buster Hyman
11th Feb 2008, 09:23
I think the French are better at Mimes than balloons.

Taildragger67
11th Feb 2008, 10:59
Who's footing the bill?

Le Taxpayer Europeen, that's who.