PDA

View Full Version : Afghan sitrep

jetA1pilot
10th Feb 2008, 16:13
Hi all,

Anbody got any gen or advice regarding flying in Afghanistan these days. Situation in Kabul / security for civvie contractors.

Weighing up an opportunity there, thinking it would be a gr8 experience and valuable time on type (212's). nothing ventured nothing gained.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks!

Piggies
10th Feb 2008, 16:18
Unbelieveable:ugh:

Spam_UK
10th Feb 2008, 16:29
Sorry Jet A1 pilot, but I don't think your going to get much help on the forum, what your asking is probably perfectly innocent, but could be used badly in the wrong hands.

Try going through formal channels and you might have a bit more luck. But wouldn't hold your breath.

Tigs2
10th Feb 2008, 17:25
JetA1Pilot

Anbody got any gen or advice regarding flying in Afghanistan these days

Don't:=:=

it would be a gr8 experience and valuable time on type (212's). nothing ventured nothing gained.:ugh::ugh:

What you could gain in the event of a malfunction forcing you to land is having your head sliced off very slowly by some really nasty people

VinRouge
10th Feb 2008, 17:41
BEADWINDOW!!!!!!

If you are serious, speak to the contractors you intend to work for. They should have all the gen.

Otherwise, the only advice as a civvy in Afghanistan I can give is this:

Read http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20041127-0

Know Sheduled performance inside out.

Know your safety altitudes inside out. Dont EVER EVER go beneath it.

Know when to say no. This includes benign system failures that more experienced chaps may try to pass off as "the way we do things". They will act as a distraction that will get you flying into a mountain top.

In my experience, terrain has killed lots of people out there, especially in Kabul. Treat the threat of CFIT seriously out there, or you will kill yourself and your pax.

Oh, unless they are offering six figures P.A. I would tell them to shove their job up their ass.

c130jbloke
10th Feb 2008, 18:51
According to the world's media, it's a really dangerous place. :ok:

Green Flash
10th Feb 2008, 18:56
security for civvie contractors.

I'd assume 'nil', if I were you. Which planet have you been on for the last few years?:confused:

StopStart
10th Feb 2008, 20:43
Done loads of flying out there - s'great! Admittedly all mil but still loads nonetheless. Stunning scenery, challenging airfields etc etc. Few bad guys but hey, what can you do?

Don't know the 212 and the accident refered to above has nothing to do with baddies in afghanistan and loads to do with aviation biffery. Take your sensible head and watch out for the granite clouds :)

PS. if it's the Bell 212 you're talking about then buy yourself a gun or two as insurance!

minigundiplomat
10th Feb 2008, 21:16
With the area your talking about being at 6K and surrounded by mountains, I'd take a few DVD's for the summer. Maybe a couple of books, board games, a PSP, X Box....

Duncan D'Sorderlee
10th Feb 2008, 22:21
Mrs D'Sorderlee suggested the following response:

'Dear Abu Hamza - Fcuk off'

Duncs:ok:

albatross
10th Feb 2008, 23:03
I suggest you try the Rotorheads forum.

I can think of better places to build time but.......

If you do go I advise making darn sure the 212 in question has correctly topped -3B engines and that the torque limiter is set correctly - IE: NO - NONE -Not a bit of droop before 104 Q. :ok: Torque limiting and badly topped engines have caused more problems on 212s than I care to talk about. If someome tells you any different throw the maintainance manual at them while departing towards the airport and home.

As previously mentioned Density altutudes will be high and If you do not have mountain experience the flying will be challenging in a no fun way to say the least.

As to the security situation I have no idea but bring your tin bloomers and don't do nuthin dumb.:=

Try this also:

http://www.verticalmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9381

Part of the above: If you read between the lines - some very lucky people:

CADORS Number: 2008P0111 Reporting Region: Pacific

Occurrence InformationOccurrence Type: Accident Occurrence Date: 2008/01/15
Occurrence Time: Day Or Night:
Fatalities: 0 Injuries: 0

Canadian Aerodrome ID: Aerodrome Name:
Occurrence Location: Afphanistan Province:

Reported By: The Company AOR Number:
TSB Class Of Investigation: TSB Occurrence No.:
Event InformationCollision with terrain
Weather - clear air turbulence (CAT)/wind shear/turbulence
Aircraft InformationFlight #:
Aircraft Category: Helicopter Country of Registration: CANADA
Make: BELL TEXTRON - USA Model: 212
Year Built: 1980 Amateur Built: No
Engine Make: PRATT & WHITNEY-CAN Engine Model: PT6T-3B
Engine Type: Turbo shaft Gear Type:
Phase of Flight: Cruise Damage: Destroyed
Owner: TASMAN HELICOPTERS LTD Operator: TASMAN HELICOPTERS LTD. (5724)
Operator Type: Commercial

Detail InformationUser Name: Samson, Donna
Date: 2008/01/23
Further Action Required: Yes
O.P.I.: System Safety
Narrative: The pilot of the Tasman Helicopters Bell B212, located in Afghanistan, had encountered bad weather, made a left turn, and got into a down-draft, which forced him into terrain. No mechanical issues were reported. There were no injuries and the pilot and passengers walked to a nearby base. The aircraft was a write-off and is not recoverable. The Company Person Responsible for Maintenance (PRM) advised the company has contacted the Person of Interest (POI) regarding this accident.

grizzled
28th Feb 2008, 10:15
JetA1pilot:

First off, are you a rotary guy or a fixed-wing guy? In Afghanistan (as with many other places) "212" can refer either to a Bell-212 or a Casa-212.

I have recent knowledge of civvy operations of both types in Afghanistan. As you would expect, the common threads between the two are:
1 Very good money
2 Serious safety / security issues

The differences are:
Casa-212: Operators / contractors are more open about the quasi-military nature of the missions than the B212 contractors are; Since 2003 the Casa's have a better safety record in Afghnistan than the B212's.

B-212: Since USAID / UNOPS / LBG began their B-212 ops, only one of the four B-212's in that period has survived to leave the country. (And that one was quietly bundled up and shipped out with the bullet holes and damage still untouched, after an attack in which the pilot was shot and killed.) The other three were all written off in accidents / incidents that could / should be used as classic scenarios in an aviation risk-management lecture.

there are "lurkers" on these forums currenlty involved in both types of ops in Afghanistan. Hopefully one or more of them will reply to you.