PDA

View Full Version : job info please

wardie31
10th Feb 2008, 10:56
Hi all
doing my hour building soon,is it easier to get a job with a freight company as opposed to pasanger airline,what is the pay like very broad im sure,how many hrs required to get job as first officer and what is the situtation with type ratings
cheers:ok:

sapco2
10th Feb 2008, 12:22
Don't narrow your margins Wardie31. Your notion of freighting being easier to get into could actually work against you at interview. Think about it... the qualification and entry criteria are exactly the same for freighting and passenger work, albeit company to company selection procedures obviously differ somewhat.

It may help to appreciate you're every bit as likely to get your first job flying passengers... so my advice would be to keep all options open!

doubleu-anker
10th Feb 2008, 14:46
wardie31

Don't you underestimate those "freight dogs" whatever you do.

I have done both freight and pax and would say freight into and out of the third world is more demanding and therefore the skill required is higher. Reason being, cargo weights quiet often fiddled by the ground people, so you sometimes are not quiet sure how much weight you have, T/O and landing weights are normally higher than pax operations in any event and minimum back up away from base so you are doing a lot of co ordinating yourself, just to mention a few examples. That's without mentioning poor ATC, poor or non existant WX forecasts/reports.