PDA

View Full Version : tiger to the rescue?

Capt Wally
10th Feb 2008, 06:52
.................I don't think so !

Brissy pax left planesless !:bored:

Is it just me or have we more than ever news showing/telling yet again another 'no show' by an airline? I guess we have more competitors in the ring these days but sheeeez can't turn the TV on anymore without hearing some poor pax saying 'they didn't tell us a thing' or words to that effect!
This sort of thing would have been big news once, (it is now, but not 4ever) the way it's going such news will hardly rate a mention by the media soon!

More airline bashing?..............yep 'till they get it right. Got to keep the pressure on these 'loose' operators.
Am sure some will see red with that, good I hope so. Nobody wants to plan a trip away with this much uncertainty of not getting there in a timely mannor. Imagine you have arranged to travel interstate to give away yr only daughter at her wedding, been planned for yonks. The whole family has planned the big day & you arrive at the airport & bingo.......no plane, no reason !
I know there's no absolute guarentee but it sure is getting worse!

CW

flyitboy
10th Feb 2008, 07:06
Yes saw the Tiger fiasco on TV also.

Capt Wally has a point tho, are we hearing more of this because there's more players now or is it a new world where being slack is the norm in aviation?

F

VH-JJW
10th Feb 2008, 08:41
Neither, people are simply getting what they paid for.

If the $50 taxi from home to the airport brakes down and you miss your flight will the driver provide you with accomodation?

I think not.

So why should the airline with the $50 fare?

Aussie
10th Feb 2008, 10:21
People want to pay $50 but get the same service as on a $250 QF flight.... not going to happen :ugh:

meagain
10th Feb 2008, 10:52
But they are a sh1t airline. Yeah, I know, you get what you pay for but cop this. My daughter is flying from Bangkok to Melbourne next week with this cheapskate mob, her choice, but my wife spent 1 hour and 10 minutes on the phone today trying to speak to an agent (Asian based) to pre book excess baggage for our daughter. Now you can't book BKK/MEL in one hit with Tiger (even though they advertise it) so have to book via SIN and Darwin. Here's the sting. Because of the dodgy booking servive you now have to pay the excess baggage rate to Singapore, pick it up pay again to Darwin and then again to Melbourne on a BKK/MEL ticket. Anyway, it is a cheapskate airline and you get what you pay for. Just be warned , and I was thinking of trying for a job there, mind you they are Singaporeans I guess so say no more...:ugh::ugh::ugh:

OzExpat
10th Feb 2008, 11:31
Here's the sting. Because of the dodgy booking servive you now have to pay the excess baggage rate to Singapore, pick it up pay again to Darwin and then again to Melbourne on a BKK/MEL ticket.
It'll be interesting to know if these little extras still amounted to a cheaper price than charged by a mainstream (ie non-LCC) operator. Might also have to factor in the cost of food and beverages, either in-flight or using the dreaded "terminal food" at the various stops... :eek:

faheel
10th Feb 2008, 19:50
"Here's the sting. Because of the dodgy booking servive you now have to pay the excess baggage rate to Singapore, pick it up pay again to Darwin and then again to Melbourne on a BKK/MEL ticket."

Tiger is a LCC ,if you want convenience ie through baggage check in, then fly with a full service carrier, all this bleating about lcc,s and lack of service makes me laugh.
Look to spell it out for you LCC means LOW COST CARRIER that means exactly what it says. ! :ugh:
If you want the cheapest fare from BKK to Mel then MAYBE Tiger is cheaper than Thai but who in their right mind wants to fly to Sin, then Darwin, then Mel on a 320, with all the inconveniece, travel time, waiting, pay for your own food, no inflight entertainment to keep you amused, cramp seating, the list goes on.
have you not heard the old adage "you get what you pay for " ???
So please stop this whining about all the stuff LCC carriers don't provide, if you don't like it book with a mainline carrier:{

RedTBar
10th Feb 2008, 20:05
The funny thing about LCC's is that unless you find a real one off special their normal fares are not that great.When you add on the extras that you don't pay for on a legacy airline you probably would not bother.
The amount of inconvienience that some people will go through because they think they are saving $50 is amazing.
The LCC's understand this and take advantage of the fact that most people take the lazy way out and not do any research.
A friend of mine did look around and for not much more money than the Geoffstar price got a holiday on a legacy airline with a 3 day stop over in Singapore on the way up including a good hotel.The only draw back is that they go via Singapore on the way home and transit but this is a small price to pay for what they are getting.
It pays to look around and do some research.

With the media stories I think it is the individual airlines with their favourite journo's putting out stories to try and dent the image of their rivals.The same sort of things that political parties do with their favoured journo's.

3 Holer
10th Feb 2008, 20:27
This is becoming the norm with most airlines these days. (SQ & EK the exceptions) Maintenance outsourced, staff morale low (for any amount of reasons) and Managers only interested in their bonus rather than the day to day operations of the airline.

Sad really.:(

200psi
10th Feb 2008, 22:06
VH-JJW

Hypothetically at least the cab turned up and made a decent attempt at getting customers to their destination

MIss Behaviour
10th Feb 2008, 23:02
With reference to Tiger even if you can book eg a Darwin/Singapore/Phuket trip in the one booking your luggage is only checked as far as the first destination ie Singapore. So irrespective whether the flights are in the one booking or not if you have excess baggage you will need to pay for this each time upon check-in.

It clearly states in the conditions before your reach the end of the booking process that the baggage allowance is 15 kilos and excess baggage rates apply after that so no-one should use the excuse "nobody told me I could only take 15 kilos".

If you know you are going to have more than that put simply your options are: a) prepay excess at the time of booking - this cannot be done at a later date b) get a quote from Pack & Send or some other freight company c) pay excess baggage at the airport however many times you need to recheck in.

Then there's always the option of sticking to the limit or being really bold and taking carry on only - ooh aah!

One bloke I heard about flew BKK/SIN/DRW shelled out about 600 bucks and literally had to sell the book he was reading in-flight so he could buy some potato chips and a drink on the SIN/DRW sector coz he was completely out of coupons!!

plasticmerc
13th Feb 2008, 22:35
before we forget jet* are exactly the same. to book a multi trip/sector flight you have to buy multiple tickets, pay excess baggage each time, pick up bag/s and recheck everytime.
this is becoming more of the norm with mainline carriers shying away from certain destinations. ie dwn- singapore try getting qf flight! you end up on jet*, unless you go south first.
little or no choice most flights are red eyes.

Slasher
15th Feb 2008, 01:07
I can still remember the lines last year bein posted here
cheerin Tiger to come down and give Jet* and VB a fair kick
in the @rse. "Roll on Tiger!" "Go Tiger go!" etc.

Bit of a diferent tune now that the Lo Cost realitey has set in!

tinpis
15th Feb 2008, 01:34
Dont encourage them
Dial up a fifilipina,buy a carton of "333" piss and a Thai take-away and stay home