PDA

View Full Version : Air Niugini to lease E190

NewZealand2
9th Feb 2008, 22:23
Air Niugini will lease an E190 from SKYAIRWORLD to operate the BNE/SYD route.

Also, they are looking at dry leasing a 767 from Icelandair to take delivery in April.
The current 757 on wetlease from Icelandair will now be a long term dry lease, and it will be put onto the P2 (PNG) register.

The 757 and 767 leases will most likely continue until the delivery of the 787 in 2010. The 787 was originally booked for 2016, but apparently it may be delivered as soon as 2010. I have to say that isn't looking likely with the delays that have been announced by Boeing of late.

No 'web' source/s available for the above information, but the information was obtained from a reliable source.

Does anyone have any more information regarding the E190??

NZ2.

Edit: Ammended 787 year of delivery above.

wrongwayaround
10th Feb 2008, 19:56
We're dealing with the PNG government here :rolleyes:

...Anything is possible...

and as they say in PNG... expect the unexpected :ok:

it's a strange place :ooh:

HANOI
11th Feb 2008, 05:20
35 sleeps and a breakfast:):}

DingoMuddy
11th Feb 2008, 06:07
Luv the sound of a 787 in 2010. Similar sound to the RBA 767.

Now let me guess who is in the negotiation team for its acquisition???? When's the next election. Some money to be made before then and at least another knighthood I'm sure.

Pity the poor souls who have to pick up the pieces!

Then again, it's all pie in the sky and pigs might fly!

Well out of there Hanoi.

Gnd Power
11th Feb 2008, 08:15
An E190 for POM BNE SYD? That was PX 767 route.

Pax numbers must have dropped then!!!

faheel
11th Feb 2008, 12:28
No Gnd Pwr it says BNE SYD BNE:=

Gnd Power
11th Feb 2008, 20:33
faheel,

so PX is now flying Australian domestic routes?

HANOI
11th Feb 2008, 21:15
EMB-190 will op twice weekly POM-SYD non-stop route in addition to B757/A310/B767 or whatever on POM-BNE.
BNE-SYD-BNE sectors will be scrubbed.
34 sleeps and a breakfast

NewZealand2
12th Feb 2008, 02:43
Thanks for clearing that up HANOI :ok:

MACH.85
1st Mar 2008, 07:43
Unbelievable indeed.!
Even launch customer for the the dreamliners is expected to wait way past 2010 to take delivery of all its orders.

Sounds like the typical conversations at the POM SP aeroclub by individuals with impared visions who cant see past the threshold of RWY 32L.....
Dream on..... and wish them best of luck..... they will need it .

NewZealand2
1st Mar 2008, 21:33
Delivery of the E190 is schedualed for 19th March.

DingoMuddy
1st Mar 2008, 23:14
What else other than SYD/POM twice a week are they going to do with this aircraft? Seems like an expensive option just to service the SYD market.

Am sure another comprehensive route analysis has been undertaken to justify the lease of this aircraft!

ramyon
1st Mar 2008, 23:49
Te Emb 1-90 seems to be the sweet spot these days for airlines whom want to use jets on thinner routes. I wonder if we'll see Air NZ ordering some in the next few months? They are due to make a decision on this soon.

Air Nuigini has sure come along way from using old F28's and Airbus A310's

Skystar320
2nd Mar 2008, 01:46
Yes the have become profitable!

apacau
2nd Mar 2008, 02:39
Maybe the E190 will be a wet-lease for just the two days of operations, fitting around the ops to/from HIR, akin to what Ozjet do for Air PNG

Kwaj mate
4th Mar 2008, 23:31
Dingo, were you really thinking they'd sign a full ERJ109 lease for about 25 hours flying a month?
And what salary would you be asking for to drive that ship? :\

DingoMuddy
5th Mar 2008, 01:11
Nah! Maybe dumb, but not that dumb!:=

Word I hear is that they have taken on full lease, hence the question - what else are they going to do with it? CNS, HIR/NAN, but even still it appears light work.

Makes more sense if just wetlease for specific ops, but that's not what I heard.

Maybe someone else can shed some light?

HANOI
5th Mar 2008, 03:25
Leased for Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon only each week.

12 sleeps and a breakfast
:)

Sharpie
6th Mar 2008, 02:31
Will you be at the airport for a 5am check-in or just wander down around 6.30 and make it all the same?

Have a happy safe flight for your 2nd or 3rd final departure from PNG?:)

NewZealand2
6th Mar 2008, 04:31
HANOI is correct. It will also operate to Brisbane.

In other news.....
PX are expecting a 763 from Icelandic to arrive on dry lease on the 25th of April. Also, the current 757 will go onto dry lease from September.

Finally some flying work for the PX crew!

NZ2

HANOI
6th Mar 2008, 04:49
Sharpie

Too smart for that , booked on the Wednesday flight which doesn't leave until 0945.
Actually this is the fifth time ( 1961 / 1976 / 1982 / 1990 / 2008 ) that I have departed for the "final" time , never to return.
Some people just never learn.

OzExpat
6th Mar 2008, 12:39
1961 to 1976 = 15 years.
1976 to 1982 = 6 years.
1982 to 1990 = 8 years.
1990 to 2008 = 18 years! :eek:

Even I'm impressed by that... :p

HANOI
6th Mar 2008, 21:21
OzExpat

The dates shown were departures.

Actual time spent in PNG was....

1960-1961 TAA
1970-1976 TAA/Pixie
1979-1982 Pixie
1983-1990 Talair/Pixie
2007-2008 Pixie

Got to say I met some of the most unforgettable and colourful characters in that time. Gives you a warm feeling when you recognise people and events from Jim Sinclair's "Balus" trilogy , Sepik Pilot , Keith Buxton's "Golden Years" etc etc.
Too many names to mention here , but includes.......
Red Leader ( Ralph Conley )
Junior
Biscuit Ears
Der Fuhrer
Mudguard
GHOC
Birrell
Looie the Lip
Greasy Blackman
"Carruthers" Couston
Martin Charles Dunstan Tyler and his Tokarara "Tomatoes"
Coco the clown
Bobby Gibbes

Gawd , you could go on forever , you will not see their likes again in the "Territory"

Sharpie
7th Mar 2008, 02:17
Yes sir Hanoi.

There are a few fantastic names in that lot with some fond memories and many fantastic laughs as well.

I note in today's PC that Col Lyttle is back in town(or soon to be) poor lad, has he not been reading pprune for the past 12 months and I wonder when he'll pull the pin. And Mr Joseph. A vellygut selekshun.:)

NewZealand2
9th Mar 2008, 01:16
Delivery of the E190 due on the 19th of April i believe. Straight from the factory.

Actually, come to think of it, possibly this month (march)? perhaps HANOI can confirm...

HANOI
10th Mar 2008, 23:03
E190 due through POM on 19 March on it's delivery flight to SkyAirWorld in BNE.
Lease supposed to start 1 April but may be slightly delayed due cabin crew training requirements and regulatory approvals etc.

6 sleeps and a brreakfast

leithen
11th Mar 2008, 08:06
A lot seems to have changed since the earlier postings on this topic. I spoke today to a well-placed source of mine at the airline who gave me an update. My source told me the airline CEO was in Dubai today to arrange the purchase of at least one more Fokker 100 and Boeing reps were in Port Moresby today to help the airline with operation specifications for the 787-9. The order for 787-9s will defintely go though because the airline has already paid a deposit. To get the full details you can read my blog at

http://www.leithensaviationbulletin.*************/

Regards,

Leithen Francis
deputy Asia editor (ATI)
Flight International

NewZealand2
12th Mar 2008, 03:08
leithen - your link is broken???

leithen
12th Mar 2008, 08:01
you have to type in dot ******** dot com after leithensaviationbulletin

NewZealand2
13th Mar 2008, 04:00
leithen - really nice article you have written there on PX :ok:

Sharpie
13th Mar 2008, 05:59
News Thursday 13th March, 2008

Shortage of pilots irks ANG

AIR Niugini is being hit by a shortage of pilots to fly its increasing fleet of aircraft, the national airline revealed yesterday.
A Port Moresby-wide flu outbreak also forced flight cancellations after pilots fell sick when they caught the viral infection.
Responding to criticisms of its operations within the aviation industry, Air Niugini CEO Wasantha Kumarasiri said the airline was not spared from the problems being created by the worldwide shortage of pilots.
“Currently, there is a worldwide shortage of pilots in the vicinity of 2000 or more, further, Air Niugini has faced increased competition from the other airlines in the region on recruitment and retention of pilots,” he added.
The CEO is pinning his hopes on new salary levels offered by the airline to prospecting pilots towards the end of last year, which he says has the potential to attract new pilots as well as ensure those currently employed stay on the job.
Meanwhile, Mr Kumarasiri has blamed a flu outbreak in Port Moresby for the flight cancellations experienced last weekend, which he said resulted in a number of pilots falling sick and being unable to fly.
He added that despite the problems, the airline will announce a number of new initiatives that will enable it to tackle the problems currently being faced by the traveling public.
Last year was a record year for the airline with Air Niugini experiencing a record passenger growth with the total number uplifted to December 2007 hovering close to the 1 million mark.
The airline has also upgraded 70 per cent of its fleet with Mr Kumarasiri assuring the traveling public that the board and management will continue to work hard to achieve beneficial outcomes.

Ricky Bobby
14th Mar 2008, 03:55
Was just about to comment on the shortage of pilots in PNG, good article.

It's confirmed PX are getting more equipment but good luck finding people to fly them!. PX HR is an absolute joke and it is a pain to deal with them at the best of times.

Very hard to find homes for new guys too, currently they just camp at the Crowne Plaza at PX's expense.

Waghi Warrior
15th Mar 2008, 01:26
Camp at the Crowne Plaza for about 440 kina per night now, and PX also give the guys meal allownaces on top as well. Bloody expensive little excersise nowdays. Rental properties would have to be cheaper even if they were paying 6 or 7 grand a month for a 2 or 3 bedroom house or unit in town.

ghyde
18th Mar 2008, 05:26
Skyairworld registered a new E190 on 14/03. This is probably the a/c in question.

SXK EMBRAERE RJ 190-100LR
19000154 14/3/2008
AFS INVESTMENTS 67-B, INC
Building 2,
572 Swan Street
RICHMOND
VIC 3121 SKY AIR WORLD PTY LIMITED
PO Box 1455,
EAGLE FARM
QLD 4009

NewZealand2
24th Mar 2008, 20:30
Here it is

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m266/NewZealand2/94671_1206181622.jpg

ads1963
25th Mar 2008, 04:20
Looks like a nice lady bird!

Congrats to Skyairworld and hope that they can make money with her!

SHAGGS
1st Apr 2008, 07:46
I hear a few of the Fokker 100 FO's are in tears ! :{:{:{ (Tissues are available on the fight deck for those who may require them) Welcome to the Dash 8 boys ! In my view it's a very good decision by the company to impose the requirement of 1000 hours Dash command with the company, prior to being upgraded to the left seat of the Fokker. :ok:

Skystar320
1st Apr 2008, 11:10
Looks like a nice lady bird!

Congrats to Skyairworld and hope that they can make money with her!

How, they are struggling to make money with the EMB-170 from all accounts

heywatchthis
1st Apr 2008, 11:58
Anyone have any info on the SAW interview??

Wings Of Fury
1st Apr 2008, 14:51
What happened to the A310 PX were/are going to lease? saw it in Aus Aviation month or two ago, had the paint scheme “White” written across it, any one see it? :confused:

HotDog
2nd Apr 2008, 01:43
Presently flying with Portuguese tech crew on PX schedules including twice weekly into Sydney.

Sharpie
6th Apr 2008, 11:24
For how long?

PNG Post Courier Friday 4 April.(Also reported Weekend Australian)

K2m to stop us being cut off

PAPUA New Guinea faces a major disaster, a threat from outside. And it’s all our own fault!
Our air links to the rest of the world are at risk.
International civil aviation authorities are to visit us next month and if they are not satisfied with our accounting for airline crashes, they can pull the plug on our flights to and from other countries.
This is the dilemma facing us and it could all fall apart in the next month or two.
Our exclusive report today shows Transport authorities have been begging the Government for money to avoid this disaster but no answers have been received.
All Transport needs is a bit more than K2 million, to send investigators to the sites of 19 plane crashes that have piled up for the past seven years.
Without that commitment, Transport has been staving off action by the international body year after year.
Now, the time of reckoning is near.
We have less than a month to show the International Civil Aviation Organisation that we are serious about accounting for our plane crashes and that we are keeping our standards up to the mark, internationally.
Not only is it a matter of keeping world authorities happy with our aviation standards, it is an issue of keeping bereaved relatives of victims of those plane crashes satisfied that all has been done to investigate.
For many, insurance payouts of compensation have been kept hanging. Insurance companies are notoriously reluctant to dish out payments unless they are satisfied with the findings of fault with accidents.
Their stockholders ensure that they do not drop their standards and that they only pay out once the causes of the accidents are verified and responsibility laid where it belongs.
Internationally, Papua New Guinea could be cut off.
How would our leaders like it if they were unable to travel to any other country in the world? What if they fell ill and wanted to fly to Brisbane or Kuala Lumpur or other centre for expert medical attention, as is commonly done?
If the ICAO barred our international flights, where would we be?
We would find our borders closed, in effect, like a Zimbabwe, without having a Robert Mugabe to blame.
All for the want of K2.3 million to satisfy international standards and to enable grieving relatives to get their compensation payments. Can one of the MPs slice K2.3 million of the K10 million district grant and sort it out immediately?

:sad::sad:

INTERESTED BYSTANDER
6th Apr 2008, 21:05
Hi SHAGGS
I think maybe the audience thinks your post is an April Fool's joke.

Sharpie
6th Apr 2008, 22:52
Maybe this was the April Fool's Joke.

The B757 was scheduled for PX004 today but was stuck in HKG. THey then scheduled the A310 and the Captain went sick. So they then allotted one F100 to do BNE-POM and of course the 120 odd Pax would not fit and as I was on an FOC, I definitely did not fit.

It was a supreme Air Niugini moment.....

:{

HANOI
7th Apr 2008, 06:08
Aaahh Sharpie

Don't I just miss all this now !!!:O

TurbTool
7th Apr 2008, 13:20
Sharpie, are you a citizen these days? Maybe not for much longer if you are seen to criticise the government.;)

I would have thought with your experience and track record you could establish the guilty parties in all outstanding investigations for a lot less than K2.3 mil.

What, jumpseat not available for Sharpie?:ok:

SHAGGS
8th Apr 2008, 03:20
About time someone is going to do something about giving Sid some funds to investigate some of the accidents. There are still a lot of accident investigations left open due to the fact that the investigators can't get to the crash sight due to a lack of funding.

Worrying thing is that some of these accidents may have been caused by mechanical failures that could occur in the future if not known about,especially when operating aging aircraft. The travelling public deserve the right to feel safe when they fly in PNG skies.

Another area they want to overhaul urgently is ATC and flight service. If they can't overhaul the system,shut the whole thing down and operate on company SAR's and pilot to pilot traffic avoidance/communication.

Sharpie
10th Apr 2008, 22:54
TURBO TOOL

Hi Turbtool.

In answer to your first question. No I am not and in respect to the second comment, as my good pal Quixote said, “Que sera sera!

As you can see by my username, for many years if I wanted to say something, I invariably put my hand up to be counted not hiding behind a nom de plume, or false address. So be it.

As far as trying to unravel the reasons why or causes of all the prangs over the past ten or so years, I would not even try. I have no inclination to and will leave that duty to those who are employed to do so. As far as a shortage of funds, I recall a DAS years ago who would charter aircraft, buy tickets and gear as necessary on his credit card to complete an investigation. That shows dedication for a public servant above and beyond the call of duty!. Never got a ‘gong’ maybe never got too many thanks either; just went his merry way to try and find the truth and facts as to what caused a prang.

I do believe that one primary object of accident/incident investigation is not to apportion blame against an individual(s) unless suicide is involved, but to try and find the facts so that hopefully, occurrences of a similar nature may be reduced in the future. Sadly, even with many years of CRM training since the good old TAA ATM days, we still read of over-runs, undershoots, CFIT, plus many others.

It does appear that even today when the holes line-up in the Swiss cheese, the inevitable may happen. When the wreckage come to rest, the fault may not rest with those in the sharp end, but may started years before due non-standard sops by a multitude of people.:)

Asianlonghaul
12th Apr 2008, 12:12
Hi Guys
What's the chance of getting a job driving the 757 & 767. I am a current Capt on both and would be interested in joining Air Niugini. I have even flown a Icelandair 757 in the past! Can't find an email address to send a CV to any ideas? The web site has a snail mail address only.

SHAGGS
13th Apr 2008, 07:44
Buckly's and no chance getting in direct entry on the 757 (or 767 if PX ever get one again :confused:). You simply won't get a lookin based on seniority, unless you are a PNG national but even then you would be very very lucky to even be considered unless you are a wantok of someone high up in managment. Even know the airline has a shortage of crews, they are filling the 757 openings from within.

On the other hand if you want to fly a Dash 8 or a Fokker 100, apply. All applications nowdays have to go through the HR department I believe.

NewZealand2
13th Apr 2008, 08:06
Asianlonghaul

Check your PM's. :)

NewZealand2
13th Apr 2008, 08:08
BTW everyone...back on topic...

The E190 had some issues with getting certification from CASA, which has finally been done now. Looks as though it should be in operation on Friday the 18th...Time will tell.

EDIT: Apparently there were NO issues with the E190 getting certification from CASA as SkyAirWorld already had full CASA approval. What ever the reason... first revenue flight is anticipated on the 18th.

Asianlonghaul
13th Apr 2008, 08:56
Many thanks NewZealand2 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=115647) Great help. Not easy to find qualified B757 Drivers these days. Do PX have a 767 yet?

TurbTool
13th Apr 2008, 13:48
Not hiding Sharpie, I just think the philosophy of pprune is diminished by posting under real names. In my opinion there are better places for that. If you set yourself up as a target I don't think you should be all wounded if someone takes a little dig at you in jest, when you continued and expanded the thread creep. But “Que sera sera!"

Thank you for sharing you view and I must say I share your stated belief of the true aim of investigations. The Tokua incident does spring to mind though with many, including as I understand, the regulator's investigator, not satisfied by the finding of the company investigation of the time.

I think the E190 will be a great addition to the PX operation.:O

Sharpie
14th Apr 2008, 01:23
Turbotool.

Que sera sera remains.

Whatever the regulating body (or their spokesperson) says, to the best of my knowledge they did not provide the operating company their own version or results of their detailed investigation and I stand by the document presented to the operator's Board of Directors.

pleasant safe flying.

(have a read of Troppo in D&General&Aviation.)

Asianlonghaul
16th Apr 2008, 10:34
Still wondering has a B767 arrived yet & if not when will it happen?
Many thanks

NewZealand2
17th Apr 2008, 02:56
It is currently in AMS getting painted into PX colours.

Rego - TF-LLA

Not sure of the delivery date.

NZ2.

NewZealand2
17th Apr 2008, 08:43
TF-LLA arriving in POM on the 28th of April, and entering service on the 3rd of May. It will be registered on the P2 register.

The E190 will be operating tomorrow.

NZ2.

Asianlonghaul
18th Apr 2008, 15:53
It will be interesting to see who will fly the 767? Thanks for the intel.

TurbTool
18th Apr 2008, 16:24
Why wouldn't the existing PX 767 crew fly it?

NewZealand2
18th Apr 2008, 20:58
They will be. Some are also being trained (or will be trained) for the 757.

DingoMuddy
21st Apr 2008, 07:08
Article from today's PC.

PX to purchase new planes

AIR Niugini is to buy two of the most modern middle-range aircraft available to boost its international services.
They are the Boeing 787-800 Dreamliner aircraft, State Enterprises Minister Arthur Somare said.
The Minister, whose portfolio encompasses all the State-owned enterprises including Air Niugini, made the revelation last Friday.
Mr Somare would not reveal the cost and further details, saying that would come later.
He was speaking at the start of the inaugural direct service from Port Moresby to Australian capital, Sydney.
Boeing is manufacturing the Dreamliner at its Seattle, Washington, assembly plant.
The 800 series can carry 210 to 250 passengers on routes of 14,200 to 15,200 kilometres according to the company’s own website.
It boasts fuel consumption 20 per cent less for comparable flights than today’s similarly sized planes.
But the first of the Dreamliner planes will not be in the air for commercial flight until early next year.
Mr Somare said Air Niugini could be getting its first Dreamliner by 2010. Asked if the new planes would be leased, like many of the airline’s fleet, he said “no, we will be buying them’’.
It is believed the purchase may be done in a form of public-private partnership, possibly with Qantas, the Australian national airline which shares flights to PNG with Air Niugini.
Last Friday, Air Niugini began its twice-weekly direct flights from Moresby to Sydney, using a Brazil-made Embraer 190 aircraft leased from Brisbane-based Sky Air World.
Airline chief executive officer Wasantha Kumarasiri said the Sydney operation would also ensure extra services from Moresby to Brisbane on a daily basis.
Mr Somare told journalists on the flight that the use of the Embraer and, later, the Dreamliner, would allow the airline to be more reliable on its domestic service.
The Embraer is a twin-engined, medium range jet airliner offering a 94-seat dual class cabin.
In-flight entertainment would be available with portable videos, high resolution touch screens and a personal media player with a selection of movies, music videos, CDs and options.

Suggest 2010 is fantasy. 2 x 787 ...wow! Wonder what the business case was to support this. Good luck to them, but hope it isn't just another case of delusions of grandeur.

Dingo

NewZealand2
21st Apr 2008, 08:04
I believe at least one will be purchased from Icelandair.

Was the comment regarding the IFE at the end of that quote meaning the E190 or the 787? :S

NZ2

DingoMuddy
21st Apr 2008, 08:33
NZ2

Are you saying that Icelandair has got an order in for a 787 which will be ready and transferable in 2010? I'm aware Icelandair is supplying the 767 shortly, but not aware of any future arrangements.

Dingo

NewZealand2
21st Apr 2008, 08:37
Icelandair certainly have an order for the 787 but i really do doubt delivery by 2010. :(

Click HERE (http://www.boeing.com/commercial/news/2005/photorelease/q1/pr_050225g.html)

chimbu warrior
21st Apr 2008, 09:01
Lets see now.......business case for 787......a block of units in BNE, a few brown paper bags, and a couple of trips to Manila.

Bet a middle man was involved. Boeing probably have no knowledge of this order!

DingoMuddy
21st Apr 2008, 10:44
Chimbu Warrior,

Think you are very close to the mark. Closely fits the pattern that has emerged over the past 12 months or so.

So reassuring to have the Somare's involved! Why else would you buy outright and not lease?

The naivety of it all!

BPA
22nd Apr 2008, 06:57
Whats the story with F100 recruitment? I have time on type applied to their add in the Australian a few months back and sent two updates since and have heard nothing.

Animalclub
22nd Apr 2008, 07:56
Haven't we heard this before with a gentleman named Okuk (a guy in the old East West Airlines called him the Wild Irishman!) and the Dash 7?

NewZealand2
23rd Apr 2008, 08:55
Click here:
Air Niugini to boost fleet with 2 Boeing Dreamliners
(http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1417281/)

DingoMuddy
23rd Apr 2008, 23:12
NZ2,

This is just a repeat of the National article as posted above "Dreamliner or Dreamtime" #62.

:confused:

NewZealand2
23rd Apr 2008, 23:16
Apologies DingoMuddy.

MACH.85
25th Apr 2008, 12:53
Hi folks, nothing adds up. Way too many planes on lease arrangements in such a short time..
One would say someone is in a hurry to make a hansome commission... thats good old PX...:D

Going Boeing
2nd May 2008, 09:14
Aircraft is the first in the world to meet the new FAA certification requirements
(Sao Jose dos Campos, April 29, 2008) -- The EMBRAER 190 jet received ETOPS (Extended Operations) certification for 120 minutes, this month, from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). This third member of the E-Jets family, seating up to 114 passengers, had already obtained the same certification from Brazil's National Civil Aviation Agency (Agencia Nacional da Aviacao Civil - ANAC), in February of this year.

The ETOPS 120 rating enables the EMBRAER 190 to fly routes that have a diversion airport up to 120 minutes from the flight path. Therefore, the jet can fly long distances over oceans, deserts and other inhospitable areas, thus increasing its operational capability, everywhere in the world, especially in Southeast Asia and Oceania. This new EMBRAER 190 feature is already available on regular Air Niugini flights connecting Papua New Guinea and Australia.

In March 2007, the EMBRAER 190 obtained its first ETOPS certification, for 75 minutes. This new approval is not merely an extension of the limit existing prior to the 120 minutes, but it also involves meeting a series of more demanding requirements. The Embraer jet is the first in the world to comply with the new rules established by Appendix K, Part 25, of the FAA's regulations, showing the high quality and extensive operational capacity of the EMBRAER 190.

"We are very proud of receiving this further certification, because of its complexity and the significant contribution it makes to increasing the reliability and flexibility of the E-Jets," said Antonio Campello, Embraer Vice President, Programs - Airline Market. "ETOPS 120 minutes will help us to expand the competitive positioning of the E-Jets in such important regions as Southeast Asia and Oceania, where we offer our customers a product that provides a variety of marketplaces with comfort, efficiency, economy, and the highest quality available on the market."

Source : Embraer

OzExpat
4th May 2008, 13:04
This new EMBRAER 190 feature is already available on regular Air Niugini flights connecting Papua New Guinea and Australia.

Really? I'd have thought that it was up to Sky Air World and CASA.
In any event, I'd be intrigued to know how or why it would be needed on this route.

MACH.85
5th May 2008, 01:01
OzExpat
You are correct. The FAA approval for the airplane (E190) ETOPS operations is a different certification process.
For the Australian CASA approval process, the operator, SKy Air World would have to prove to CASA Australia for ETOPS operations.
This approval process would take up to 12 months.

TurbTool
5th May 2008, 13:05
I would be surprised if the E190 operation required ETOPS.

It surely would operate between POM and either BNE or SYD within normal 60min criteria.

Maybe I am missing something?

INTERESTED BYSTANDER
6th May 2008, 07:54
Last week I flew down to Sydney in the E190, and I would like to say that I was extremely impressed by the aircraft and service. The only problems with the A/C that I found from a passengers point of view, is that it has one toilet for economy passengers and no entertainment system. The waiting time to get into the toilet was about 5 minutes after about the 2nd hour due to the amout of drinks the cabin crew were serving. Good cabin service, as per usual from the girls :ok::ok:.

As far as the 120 minutes ETOPS issue goes, it would be very handy to have if PX had a couple of these machines doing more frequent low capacity services to their existing international destinations.

Very very good aircraft :ok:.

IAW
6th May 2008, 13:08
Won't really matter with the demise of ETOPS upon us.

Sleek looking jet.

Sharpie
13th May 2008, 00:59
PX’s new Boeing 767
AIR NIUGINI last Friday took delivery of its new flagship, a Boeing 767-300 wide-body aircraft with a seating capacity of 214.
The aircraft, in full Air Niugini motif, will be used on the airline’s Asian routes of Singapore, Manila, Hong Kong and Narita from Port Moresby.
It will also serve the Port Moresby to Brisbane and Port Moresby to Sydney routes.
The plane was secured under a wet engineering lease arrangement with Icelandic Air and it will be operated by Air Niugini’s pilots and cabin crew on the specified routes.
Independent Public Business Corp (IPBC) board chairman Sumasy Singin, who officiated at the arrival of the aircraft before invited guests and dignitaries, commended the airline company’s board and management for securing the aircraft.
“The international market for wide-body aircraft is very tough and Air Niugini board and management are to be complemented for securing this aircraft through Icelandic Air.
“Our international passenger number has increased and with the intended demand from resource projects, this aircraft will be a valuable asset to Air Niugini and PNG as a nation,” he said.
According to Air Niugini, the new B767-300 flagship offers 30 business class and 184 economy class seats with greater seat pitch in both cabins which means there is more leg room for passengers.
The aircraft is powered by two Pratt & Whitney 4000 engines, has a maximum take off weight of 181,436kg and 144.7 cubic metres of cargo capacity, which will also provide adequate cargo movement.
This aircraft replaces a previously leased Airbus A310 wide-body aircraft from White Airways, which was both flown by White Airways’ own pilots and cabin crew, and was also maintained by the same company.
The Airbus A310 has since been returned.
:ok::ok::ok:

NewZealand2
25th May 2008, 10:12
Uh no...the A310 from WHITE has not been returned. 30th May the lease ends.
Hopefully the lease will not be extended AGAIN. The sooner it goes the better.

NZ2

SHAGGS
27th May 2008, 03:34
How long are they going to continue with the 757 ? Seems crazy to have all these different aircraft doing the work still as we now have a 767 back on line.
Even with delays due to maintenance with the ANZ 767 in the past, I would have still though it would have been far more cheaper to carry the losses rather than crosshiring all these different types of aircraft especially the ones that come with crew.

I also noticed both the PNG papers yesterday (In amongst the lovely picture of the murdered man on the front page of one of them) reported stories on PX getting more cash to lease more aircraft, and a warning that PX are going to triple there airfares to cover the costs. Would this money be for the 787 or more Fokkers or DH8s.

NewZealand2
27th May 2008, 03:59
SHAGGS
The 757 will turn into a dry lease at some stage, so PX crew will operate it. I believe they will be keeping the 757 for another 2 years or so.

NZ2

balusmungimasta
21st Aug 2008, 13:17
Gadday shags
Interesting to read the great white mastas bull@hit on pprune
As usual only plots telling us how the earth spins off its axis eh
The "orginal shags" Chris Miles and I now live over in Cambodia
come on over and visit. The gins are sweet and very accommodating
P.S I enjoyed working along side yu to shags but yu got more roots than I did.... James Moresby Birrell
Ill buy yu a beer anytime shags cant say that about some plots

Maisk Rotum
23rd Aug 2008, 02:12
Where are you holed up? At Garry Glitters old digs? Is Martinis still going? The R.P.S.E. were so cheap there we would take two home at a time!! Not many Bongo-Vans around Potchentong for you to put a size 12 load into though. Better put your load into something else.....

Going Boeing
6th Oct 2009, 00:30
http://www.asd-network.com/data_news/ID23597_600.jpg

(Toronto, October 2, 2009) -- Bombardier Aerospace announced today that Air Niugini, the national airline of Papua New Guinea, has placed a firm order for two Q400 NextGen high-speed turboprop airliners. The airline has also taken an option for an additional Q400 NextGen airliner.

Based on the list price for the Q400 NextGen aircraft, the contract is valued at approximately $60 million US which could increase to $92 million US if the option is exercised.

Air Niugini's current fleet includes two Bombardier Dash 8-100 aircraft (one configured as a freighter), three 36-seat Q200 and three 50-seat Q300 aircraft. Formed in 1973, the airline serves 23 domestic points plus ten international routes in Asia, Oceania and Australia.

"The Q400 NextGen aircraft follows in the footsteps of a long line of robust and reliable de Havilland and Bombardier turboprops that have served our airline very well over the years," said Wasantha Kumarasiri, Chief Executive Officer, Air Niugini. "The aircraft's 'hot and high' capabilities and its ability to operate on shorter runways are especially important for our route network, while its speed, fuel-efficiency, low emissions and comfortable cabin were also key factors in our selection."

"Air Niugini has been a respected customer since the early 1980s when the airline acquired three 50-seat de Havilland Dash 7 aircraft," said Gary R. Scott, President, Bombardier Commercial Aircraft. "We are naturally delighted that the airline continues to be loyal to our products."

Source : Bombadier Aerospace

OzExpat
7th Oct 2009, 13:05
This seems like it might've been better as a separate topic, it probably deserves to be so anyway. However, full marks to you Going Boeing for finding and resurrecting the least likely topic. Even better marks for Garry R. Scott for researching far enough back to find the highly questionable purchase of those "paddle-steamers"! :}

the wizard of auz
8th Oct 2009, 14:17
Aaaah, but don't they sound sweet at full noise. :ok: I remember seeing my first Dash 7 in Dili, East Timor and it certainly was a sight to see.....and hear. :}

Dunnza
9th Oct 2009, 06:15
Now the Dash 7 is a lovely machine!

Hugh_Jones
16th Feb 2010, 20:12
In 1989 I ran a detachment B737-200 for TEA (UK) on lease to Air Nugini. At that time we operated Morseby to Sydney, Night Stop and also there and back to Cairns and Brisbane. We did internal rotations between Moresby and Lae and Moresby and Momote. We also did an inaugural flight from Moresby to Guam. At the time they were operating F28s and A310s.

Tmbstory
17th Feb 2010, 07:28
Hugh Jones:

I remember the time well, including some of your flight crew !.

The effort to start the Guam service, ran into a few problems that I feel were unwarranted.

It was an interesting time.

Tmb

Fris B. Fairing
17th Feb 2010, 08:07
Hugh

Here is your "Honorary Balus" about to pushback at Brisbane on 8 November 1989. Perhaps you were driving?

http://www.adastron.com/aviation/vault/G-BTEB-AF131.jpg

Rgds

KlausBoerger
5th Sep 2011, 07:19
Hi, I am looking for an old friend of mine CHRIS MILES. Please relay this to Chris so we can figure out if I got the right CHRIS MILES.

If I do, he was an oil scout in Calgary in early 1970s and had a private pilot's license then. I heard he may have moved to Vietnam (3 storey house with a rooftop pool) and, searching the net, I see this piece about >>the "original shags" Chris Miles .... now live in Cambodia<<

I am Klaus who - if you are the right Chris Miles - you will remember me as one of the people who lived at TESS'S HOUSE in Calgary. I am the guy who went to UofC Physical Ed; and had the candy apple red Honda 350 street bike (that I crashed a couple times). You gave me your white Buick car (or was it a Caddy?) when you left Calgary early 1970s.

Please write me at [email protected] I been living in Philippines last 10 years and would love to see you again. Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos - wherever you are - I got to exit Philippines for visa run in a couple months and love to have some drinks with you (and check out the local delights).

If I got the wrong Chris Miles, I am sorry (and please let me know). THANKS.

Cactusjack
5th Sep 2011, 10:36
Heir Klaus,
I will ask Daniela Marsilli and Tristan Freeman, they may know his whereabouts !!

Waghi Warrior
7th Sep 2011, 06:28
Birrell will know where he is I think they are running a pub in Laos or some place.

Thats if the both of them aren't dead yet :p

KlausBoerger
21st Sep 2011, 03:15
Thanks Cactusjack and Waghi Warrior!

I figure there can't be that many Chris Miles in Vietnam, or Cambodia, or Laos. "running a pub" is spot on for the Chris I remember.

Doubt he's dead if he recently moved as mentioned elsewhere ("the original shags Chris Miles and I (balusmungimasta) recently moved to Cambodia").

Cactusjack, I think you meant "Herr Klaus" (Mr. Klaus). That's prophetic because my story has an untold ending that will rock the socks off Chris Miles when I tell it (if I find him.... if it's him). You guys will probably also enjoy the unusual twist in my tale. Sorry, I'm not a pilot so fail to see the humor in discussing "parking wars". But I will be relieved to know you guys at the stick are thinking about such things next time I board. Actually, I am really looking forward to flying Clark > wherever my elusive friend is found. Maybe I will meet you then???? I guess this forum is mostly from pilots, and I respect you guys a lot, and wish you fair winds, long runways, and only happy landings!

KlausBoerger
21st Sep 2011, 03:24
Hi balusmungimasta,

Please ask your friend Chris Miles if he used to live at TESS'S HOUSE in south-west Calgary mid-1970s. If so, does he remember the guy he gave his white Buick (or was it a Cadilllac) to when he departed the scene? That guy is me, and I sure love to see my friend Chris again.

If it's a different chris, please let me know so I will stop searching here.
Thanks, Klaus
Email: [email protected]